Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Worried about standover height on an already purchased bike

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Worried about standover height on an already purchased bike

Old 06-27-13, 04:54 AM
fatguy_ona_bike

Bikes: '13 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cmg1227
Thanks so much for all the feedback guys! I took a ride down to the shop again today and was able to try out the 2012 Vita Sport in a small, which is what they had in stock. The standover height was much better, and it felt a lot safer when dismounting.

When I first sat on it, the frame did seem different and I couldn't be sure if it was too small or "scrunched". When he raised the seat height a bit and I took it for a spin, though, I ultimately went with the small frame.

He was really gracious about the exchange and ordered the 2013 in the color I liked for me. I'm glad I didn't just suck it up and stay with a bike I wasn't 100% sure about. I am 5'1'' afterall, so a 17'' medium sized frame just doesn't seem right for me.
Glad to hear it went well. Enjoy the bike when it comes in!
Old 06-27-13, 09:58 AM
sreten
Banned.

Bikes: 20" Folder, Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
You're going out on a bunch of limbs there.
Hi,

No you are, implying people are saying things they are not.

Standover : (minumum recommended)
1" for a road bike
2" for a hybrid
3" for a MTB

Does not imply on its own a bike will fit you well.

rgds, sreten.
Old 06-27-13, 10:32 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by sreten
Hi,

No you are, implying people are saying things they are not.

Standover : (minumum recommended)
1" for a road bike
2" for a hybrid
3" for a MTB

Does not imply on its own a bike will fit you well.

rgds, sreten.
You quoted one post and then responded to a different one. Which is it? Do your "minumum recommended" numbers come from any research, or did you just pull them out of the air? I personally think that if you're going to stop in a way that you fly off the saddle with knees bent and not supporting your weight, you're going to hit the top tube anyway, so you might as well have less distance to fall before you do. After you get some riding experience under your belt, this scenario becomes less and less likely, making it a moot point.

The OP came in with a bike she loved to ride (had no apparent problems with fit while riding), and everyone told her she had the wrong size frame based on the standover. It's a non-sequitur.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-27-13, 10:30 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You're going out on a bunch of limbs there. Very generally, a good fit involves having the proper leg extension, a saddle fore-aft position that's agreeable to the knees, and then the desired handlebar height and extension. None of those dictate, or are informed by, the amount of space between a person's junk and the top tube when they stand over a bike in the store.

So what's the myth, the cynical point of view, or the thing that I'm not understanding since you're making the accusation? There are a lot of things in the bicycling mainstream that exist because of momentum, not because they have merit.
Wow...you spoiling for a FIGHT, or what? Accusations? REALLY? Your first paragraph HERE, I mostly agree with; what we DISAGREE on is the significance of standover -- you think it's worthless, I think it has SOME worth, and just because I disagree with you, you wanna act like I'm an advocate for "STANDOVER IS ALL."

Standover is a STARTING point; nothing more. It's a RARE rider that gets well fit to a bike when he/she can't straddle the bike AT ALL, or when he/she has enough room for some delicate attention from an S.O.

I have my doubts that you could better fit a rider to a bike than I can, so (cue the DX Chop).

The MYTH is what you're pushing, that standover is useless; if YOU find it useless, all well and good. It HAS helped multitudes, and WILL help multitudes more. (And, in truth, most of the 'momentum' stuff came from Eddie B., so take it up with him -- let me know how that works out for you.)

I'm not interested in a flame war; you believe what you want, I believe what my experience has taught me is right for a LOT of people.
Old 06-28-13, 06:20 AM
sreten
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi,

Anyone who is normally proportioned and buys a new bike
with no standover because it allegedly fits is being misled.

rgds, sreten.
Old 06-28-13, 06:38 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 2,167 Times in 1,459 Posts
Thanks so much for all the feedback guys! I took a ride down to the shop again today and was able to try out the 2012 Vita Sport in a small, which is what they had in stock. The standover height was much better, and it felt a lot safer when dismounting.

When I first sat on it, the frame did seem different and I couldn't be sure if it was too small or "scrunched". When he raised the seat height a bit and I took it for a spin, though, I ultimately went with the small frame.

He was really gracious about the exchange and ordered the 2013 in the color I liked for me. I'm glad I didn't just suck it up and stay with a bike I wasn't 100% sure about. I am 5'1'' afterall, so a 17'' medium sized frame just doesn't seem right for me.
Good. I'm sure you will be much happier. As others said, it's not so much the standover height as just good overall fit and comfort that matters. The small size will feel better. There's nothing worse in my opinion than trying to push a bike that's too big around on rides whether it's cornering and handling, climbing, or just riding along the flats.
Old 06-28-13, 07:30 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
Wow...you spoiling for a FIGHT, or what? Accusations? REALLY? Your first paragraph HERE, I mostly agree with; what we DISAGREE on is the significance of standover -- you think it's worthless, I think it has SOME worth, and just because I disagree with you, you wanna act like I'm an advocate for "STANDOVER IS ALL."

Standover is a STARTING point; nothing more. It's a RARE rider that gets well fit to a bike when he/she can't straddle the bike AT ALL, or when he/she has enough room for some delicate attention from an S.O.

I have my doubts that you could better fit a rider to a bike than I can, so (cue the DX Chop).

The MYTH is what you're pushing, that standover is useless; if YOU find it useless, all well and good. It HAS helped multitudes, and WILL help multitudes more. (And, in truth, most of the 'momentum' stuff came from Eddie B., so take it up with him -- let me know how that works out for you.)

I'm not interested in a flame war; you believe what you want, I believe what my experience has taught me is right for a LOT of people.
Easy, tiger -- if I'd accused you of believing in myths, spreading cynicism, or not understanding anything, you might have taken offense as well.

Just to clarify, I have nothing against using X" of standover as a starting point when trying out bikes in the store and then setting them up to fit, I just don't think that measurement has any worth once you're out riding a bike that is set up well for you. (Unless you're MTBing and regularly falling off your saddle.)
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 06-28-13 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-28-13, 10:07 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Easy, tiger -- if I'd accused you of believing in myths, spreading cynicism, or not understanding anything, you might have taken offense as well.

Just to clarify, I have nothing against using X" of standover as a starting point when trying out bikes in the store and then setting them up to fit, I just don't think that measurement has any worth once you're out riding a bike that is set up well for you. (Unless you're MTBing and regularly falling off your saddle.)
Why does everyone try to tell me to take it easy, when I already AM? As far as getting offended, well...for the subjects you listed, I'd likely LOL. Calling me racist, a thief, a child molester, a pathological liar -- THOSE offend me.

For example, about spreading myths -- that would just spur me, with a smile, into an enjoyable "Yo Momma" type of exchange of barbed comments...FUN! Cynicism? One of my favorite jokes from 30 years ago:

An OPTIMIST is a father who will let his teenager borrow the car;
A PESSIMIST is a father who won't;
A CYNIC is a father who DID.

Lack of understanding? I have more levels of understanding than Dante's Inferno has levels. It's the result of a 'deviant' mind....

And, just for the record, about your clarification: if that's what you MEANT, then that's what you should have SAID. Kinda the cornerstone of communication, y'know.....
Old 07-03-13, 10:19 PM
iflabs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad they were willing to work it out, like any reputable shop should.

I was in the same exact position when I bought my bike. I have a really short inseam for someone of my height so I was overwhelmingly worried about stand over clearance. The sales person I talked with suggested a 49cm over a 46cm for me. So I bit and bought the 49cm, but for whatever reason the lack of stand over clearance was gnawing me inside out. I went to swap it for a 46cm and after a week realized I felt 'scrunched up' on the bike; my knees were almost touching the handlebar and foot was grinding the wheel on turns. I apologized to the shop and they were willing to swap it back again.

I will gladly take a bike that rides comfortably over stand over clearance after the whole experience.
Old 07-04-13, 12:01 AM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
The story of standover height, for anyone who cares...

For most of the history of cycling it was ignored. If you look at pictures of racers prior to about 1960 you'll see that they rode much bigger bikes than we do now, often with just a few cm. of seatpost showing. This was because they used much higher handlebar positions than we do now. A side effect of that was to reduce standover to less than zero. That didn't matter because nobody in their right mind would ever have hopped off a bike and planted both feet flat on the ground while straddling the top tube.

Enter the American bike boom, and the Consumer Product Safety Commission. I don't know if we had a lot of newly-minted American cycling enthusiasts who weren't in their right minds, or if the CPSC just worried that we might, but it was decided that crotch clearance was necessary, so it was enshrined in the law.

Bike shops responded by having folks stand over the top tube with both feet on the floor and lifting up the handlebars. What started as an attempt to comply with the law ended up a de facto fitting system: "Yup, about an inch of clearance. The bike fits!" The first bike boom fizzled, of course, and with it, most of the things Americans learned about bicycles. Then came the resurgence in popularity started by LeMond and redoubled by Armstrong, and now we have a huge body of cyclists who know damn near nothing about bicycling. Hence "If you ride a bike without crotch clearance you'll die!!!"

Short version: Crotch clearance means nothing when it comes to bike fit. If you prefer a long and/or upright position on a traditionally-styled frame, you may well find that your frame size pushes the top tube well up into your goodies when you straddle it with both feet flat on the ground. At the other end of the scale, a racer on a compact frame, using the smallest size he can get away with, may be perfectly fitted yet have a foot of crotch clearance.

Even shorter version: if you find it necessary to straddle your bike with both feet flat on the ground, you'll want some crotch clearance. If you scratch your head and wonder why anyone would ever feel the need to stand over a bicycle with both feet flat on the ground, you can ignore crotch clearance completely.
Old 07-04-13, 04:28 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ladies and gentlemen. . . Grant Peterson's evil twin has spoken.
Old 07-05-13, 03:20 PM
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts

Glad they were able to get you a better sized bike!
I am about your size and I have found that it's very hard for me to find a bike that is *too* small, but most will be too large! I see many riders my size on frames that are too large.
You will probably always want to look at a Small (or Extra Small) size frame. Make sure you look at the actual measurement numbers of the frame, not just the size that the bike maker says it is.
I have bikes that are size labeled 41cm, 42cm, 44cm, 50cm, 13" and 13.5", but they all pretty much the same dimensions size-wise.
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR

Last edited by eofelis; 07-05-13 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-05-13, 03:29 PM
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Good. I'm sure you will be much happier. As others said, it's not so much the standover height as just good overall fit and comfort that matters. The small size will feel better. There's nothing worse in my opinion than trying to push a bike that's too big around on rides whether it's cornering and handling, climbing, or just riding along the flats.
A couple of weeks ago I rode in a small group ride with some riders I never met before. One of the riders had a brand new LHT Deluxe (S&S couplers) built up beautifully ($$$) by a local LBS. I oohed and ahhed over it. Then when she got on it I didn't have the heart to tell her that it was waaaayyyyy too big for her. She had almost no extra seatpost showing and was reaching down for the pedal at the downstroke. It's a damn shame that the LBS let her out the door on a frame that I thought was about 2 sizes too big. (I have had 3 Surly bikes and I know they run large.)
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR
Old 07-05-13, 03:52 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
If I'm wearing sneakers, there is no room between the tube and my crotch...
Perfect...

Allot of the small frames I have seen have sacrificed some of the standard bicycle geometry to accommodate the shortened tubes - Your medium frame should be just fine...

BUT - Please post a pic so wee can see your Vita Sport seat and handlebar position**********
Old 07-06-13, 07:30 PM
sreten
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Six jours
The story of standover height, for anyone who cares...

For most of the history of cycling it was ignored. If you look at pictures of racers prior to about 1960 you'll see that they rode much bigger bikes than we do now, often with just a few cm. of seatpost showing. This was because they used much higher handlebar positions than we do now. A side effect of that was to reduce standover to less than zero. That didn't matter because nobody in their right mind would ever have hopped off a bike and planted both feet flat on the ground while straddling the top tube.

Enter the American bike boom, and the Consumer Product Safety Commission. I don't know if we had a lot of newly-minted American cycling enthusiasts who weren't in their right minds, or if the CPSC just worried that we might, but it was decided that crotch clearance was necessary, so it was enshrined in the law.

Bike shops responded by having folks stand over the top tube with both feet on the floor and lifting up the handlebars. What started as an attempt to comply with the law ended up a de facto fitting system: "Yup, about an inch of clearance. The bike fits!" The first bike boom fizzled, of course, and with it, most of the things Americans learned about bicycles. Then came the resurgence in popularity started by LeMond and redoubled by Armstrong, and now we have a huge body of cyclists who know damn near nothing about bicycling. Hence "If you ride a bike without crotch clearance you'll die!!!"

Short version: Crotch clearance means nothing when it comes to bike fit. If you prefer a long and/or upright position on a traditionally-styled frame, you may well find that your frame size pushes the top tube well up into your goodies when you straddle it with both feet flat on the ground. At the other end of the scale, a racer on a compact frame, using the smallest size he can get away with, may be perfectly fitted yet have a foot of crotch clearance.

Even shorter version: if you find it necessary to straddle your bike with both feet flat on the ground, you'll want some crotch clearance. If you scratch your head and wonder why anyone would ever feel the need to stand over a bicycle with both feet flat on the ground, you can ignore crotch clearance completely.
Hi,

Your post is mostly utter nonsense. Once the safety cycle was invented
and bike fit wasn't two things were required of a typical bike, standover
clearance and one foot on the ground from the saddle for most people.
Next to no seatpost was because saddles were set well below optimum.
(Which meant kids could easily ride adult sized bicycles ...)

Racers of course didn't care about standover, why should they ?

Meanwhile in most of the real world for a quality bike for a typical
person, for a long time the right standover meant the right fit *.
The longer legged short torso going for more standover,
the short legged long torso going for less or none at all.
(Or a bespoke non-standard frame.)

Nowadays nobody needs to buy a bike with no standover for
it to fit properly and you can't just use standover to judge fit.

Still peoples proportions haven't changed and for many ranges
of (good) bikes a standover of ~ 1" for a road bike, ~ 2" for a
hybrid and ~ 3" for a MTB should equate to a bike that fits you.

rgds, sreten.

* Of course only for bike designs where standover is an issue.

Last edited by sreten; 07-06-13 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-06-13, 08:29 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and should not even be allowed on the subforum.

Regards, etc.
Old 07-08-13, 08:40 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
What I'm calling BS on, is the notion that X" of standover is the most-important measure you need to find the bike that fits best. And I stand by it -- that measure tells you absolutely nothing about how the bike will fit when riding, which is what actually matters. When else do you straddle the top tube flat-footed, except when you're waiting around during a break on the ride? Having two inches (or whatever) of standover clearance might not even be enough if your legs are bent when you come off the saddle during a panic stop. It's just a liability dodge that has become a no-thought rule for bike fitting.

Anyways, I'm glad that the smaller frame felt better for the OP.
It's also a matter of rider tolerance. With over 40 years experience on bicycles, I have tolerance for a standover height that gives me just a cm or so of clearance when standing in my cycling shoes. I also have a very well-trained habit of not landing flat-footed on the ground after a panic stop. I'm really only worried about contact bone to top tube. Some others could not abide a bike with this sizing. But I agree, the SOH means essentially nothing in determining if a bike will be a good for the rider, or will allow the rider's contact point requirements to be satisfied.

However if it's a worry bead for the customer, the bike shop should respect it while not neglecting the other factors in cycle fitting. It's not an easy out.
Old 07-10-13, 04:43 PM
sreten
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Road Fan
It's also a matter of rider tolerance. With over 40 years experience on bicycles, I have tolerance for a standover height that gives me just a cm or so of clearance when standing in my cycling shoes. I also have a very well-trained habit of not landing flat-footed on the ground after a panic stop. I'm really only worried about contact bone to top tube. Some others could not abide a bike with this sizing. But I agree, the SOH means essentially nothing in determining if a bike will be a good for the rider, or will allow the rider's contact point requirements to be satisfied.

However if it's a worry bead for the customer, the bike shop should respect it while not neglecting the other factors in cycle fitting. It's not an easy out.
Hi,

That just implies compared to average your on the somewhat shorter legged
longer torso side and prefer to compromise stand over for the sort of fit you
like with frames built in sizes for the "average" person.

Cynical manipulation of standover without proper sizing did and still does occur,
especially for extreme bike sizes, tall bikes are too short, short bikes too long.

I would assume you prefer bikes sized on your height, not inseam/standover.

rgds, sreten.

Standover can be meaningless, but most of the time now its very meaningful.