Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike repair stands

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bike repair stands

Old 04-06-15, 10:18 AM
pursuance

Bikes: Bicycles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This stand used to be called Ultimate. I got one cheap because the storage bag was missing and the box water damaged.
Rated to 85#, it holds my 65# electric with ease. I've had for about 10 years, never an issue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-oPyA-rfRg
Old 04-06-15, 10:46 AM
bonner1040

Bikes: Salsa Spearfish 3 - VeloLucuma PoloLoco - Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp Disc - Salsa Mukluk 2 - Salsa Vaya 2 - Specialized Vita (Wife)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cant wait!
Old 04-06-15, 10:56 AM
sam_cyclist
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 Miyata Biker

1 Miyata Biker:
My objective "evidence" is the fact that I purchased this Park stand more than 20 years ago, use it probably 4 to 6 times per season maintaining our bicycles, and have never experienced any problem with the work stand. No parts worn out or broken. On the other hand, my friend had purchased a bike repair stand of questionable quality. He probably used his more than I did because of the number of bikes they had. I was at his house one day when he was working on his 10 speed Schwinn road bike. He had it clamped in his work stand upside down. Our attention was averted to cleaning parts when the stand with the bike toppled over, bending the rear derailleur and breaking the derailleur bracket. Apparently the weight distribution wasn't very good. The repairs probably cost him the difference of what he paid for his work stand versus my Park work stand. Each of us must decide our priorities when purchasing equipment. I prefer to purchase quality tools/equipment for reasons of safety, ease of use and longevity.
This is evidence, but it's anecdotal evidence. Was your friend's repair stand the same one being discussed now? Does every park repair stand operate perfectly and last indefinitely?

There was a post on this forum I saw recently of a park stand that was rusted through. Is that evidence of the low quality of all park repair stands?

You cannot generalize either from your case or from the case of the rusty park stand. You simply don't have enough n's to reach a conclusion.
Old 04-06-15, 11:00 AM
bonner1040

Bikes: Salsa Spearfish 3 - VeloLucuma PoloLoco - Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp Disc - Salsa Mukluk 2 - Salsa Vaya 2 - Specialized Vita (Wife)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Park makes the best ****. They charge the most. Makes sense to me.

I, like some others didnt need the best. It was a rare circumstance for me not to buy the best of something that I could afford, but just like I know to only buy the best in most cases, I also knew I didn't need a pro-level daily use tool.
Old 04-06-15, 12:23 PM
Latif

Bikes: Seven Axiom steel, Salsa Vaya,Specialized Sectuer, Santa Cruz 5010

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a stand similar to the above ebay stand, no QR and it's been adequate for the couple years I've had it, paid around $50 off Amazon. I don't like the 4 leg style though as they always seem to get in the way.The main clamp is a hand tighten and it takes a while to clamp it down. I do question the longevity of the clamp tightening system. I have a hard time getting the clamp at the vert/top arm intersection to get tight enough to hold bikes at odd angles. If I had seen the Bikehand one with the 2 legs similar to the Parks I would have spent the extra bucks,and still been under $100.
Old 04-13-15, 03:14 PM
sam_cyclist
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased one of the ebay repair stands for about $45. There are a couple of similar stands being sold on amazon and they are positively reviewed (4.5 stars).

I have to admit that I would have a hard time recommending this stand. Some concerns:

1. the clamp is not of high quality. One of the two screws holding it in place cannot be tightened completely, so there is some play in the clamp. As a result, the clamp arms do not line up symmetrically when the seatpost is clamped: 2 of the clamp's 8 contact points are not in contact with the seatpost. The clamp is all plastic as well, which may not bode well for heavy use.

2. the weld quality for the stand is not esthetically pleasing. If you are expecting the 'stack of dimes' look, you will definitely not find it here.

Overall, this stand uses lower quality materials, and build quality is not high, but it should be fine for occasional use for the home mechanic.

The stand does seem to get lots of positive reviews, but based on my usage, I can't recommend it.
Old 04-13-15, 03:45 PM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bunch of tool snobs here! Granted, I LOVE really nice tools and would buy more Snap-On had I any more children to trade.

But some are constrained by $$ shortages.

The linked $40 ebay stand is far from the nicest, but is better than nothing and will actually work (at least for a while). If you got $300 for a stand, buy something nice. If you got $300 for your entire summer budget, buy the ebay stand, some spare tires, and some good small tools. You'll be well ahead.

- Will Rogers
Old 04-14-15, 02:59 AM
sam_cyclist
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
I have this exact stand. I'll definitely vouch for it. Its definitely better than the PCS-9, and probably comparable quality to a PCS-10. Its light but sturdy, and folds very quickly, with the Aluminum feet and tower sliding smoothly. It does everything I've wanted it to quickly and easily.

The clamp is a beefy QR release that works well. It had no trouble holding a 30lbs FS mountain bike at a 45deg angle so I could bleed the brakes. The legs feel very sturdy, and definitely no issues with drivetrain work. The only reason it would fall is if you got the center of mass outside the legs, but that's going to tip any stand with fold out legs.
This looks like a great stand.

Interestingly, the inexpensive ebay stand also has the same 4.5 star rating on amazon!
Old 04-14-15, 07:25 AM
auxym

Bikes: 1988ish Norco Bigfoot SS, 2013 Opus Largo touring bike, 2004 Brodie Omega MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bonner1040
With 200+ 4 Star REviews, up down and rotational adjustability @ $89 I picked this up. Still waiting for it to come.

BIKEHAND Cycle Pro Mechanic Bicycle Repair Stand rack Bike

The only negative i saw is that it may not resist heavy duty cranking while working on the drive train?
I have this one too, except branded xtools. Paid 75$ for it brand new from a local kijiji seller. I'm guessing the guy got a bunch of em from china to save on shipping or something.

So far, satisfied. I've used the Park equivalent (PCS9?) and the xtools for sure feels a bit more flimsy/flexy, but it works. If I was wrenching on bikes a lot, I'd probably pony up for the park, but for the occasional cleaning or repair, the xtools has been doing good for a year now.

Do check your local CL/kjj for park stands though, I've seen them go around 120-140 around here, which is a good deal.
Old 04-17-15, 09:40 AM
mpe104

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've bought sold and used many bike stands over the years from floor stands to wall mounted stands. Over the years I've learned this saying to be true "Buy cheap buy twice". I'm not saying buy the park tool stand for 250$ but don't buy some random one off of amazon for 60. Do your homework and read reviews. Depending on what you are looking for there is a good selection of quality stands out there.