Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Show us your Surly Long Haul Trucker

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-16, 08:09 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts

I am getting my new Surly Long Haul Trucker on monday (bog standard, with no accesories/extras), and would love to see what you guys have added/modified to yours.

Mine is a 2013 model with a 50cm frame and 26" wheels (it's from a bike store and has never been used so it's practically brand new):

Old 04-02-16, 08:48 AM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Bikes: Surly LHT 26in 52cm 2008

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
I am getting my new Surly Long Haul Trucker on monday (bog standard, with no accesories/extras), and would love to see what you guys have added/modified to yours.

Mine is a 2013 model with a 50cm frame and 26" wheels (it's from a bike store and has never been used so it's practically brand new):

My Surly LHT 26in 52cm 2008
with Shimano Deore Crankset 22-32-42t using Raceface Chain Rings
Sram pg-970 11-34t 9 Speed Cassette
Sram pc-971 9 Speed chain
Shimano XT Thumb Shifters 9 Speed
Shimano XT m771 FD
Shimano XT m771 RD
Raceface XC Flat mtn Handlebars
Avid Speed dial Brake Levers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
My_Bike.jpg (70.0 KB, 687 views)
my surly lht.jpg (77.0 KB, 672 views)
Old 04-02-16, 09:00 AM
dim

Originally Posted by Biketouringhobo
My Surly LHT 26in 52cm 2008
with Shimano Deore Crankset 22-32-42t using Raceface Chain Rings
Sram pg-970 11-34t 9 Speed Cassette
Sram pc-971 9 Speed chain
Shimano XT Thumb Shifters 9 Speed
Shimano XT m771 FD
Shimano XT m771 RD
Raceface XC Flat mtn Handlebars
Avid Speed dial Brake Levers
very nice! I like the colour
Old 04-02-16, 10:55 AM
RedandBlack

Bikes: '14 Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is Eleuthero, my '14 LHT. Yours is a beaut. It's hard to go wrong with black on black.
Attached Images
Eleuthero.jpg (102.3 KB, 717 views)
Old 04-02-16, 11:56 AM
dim

Originally Posted by RedandBlack

This is Eleuthero, my '14 LHT. Yours is a beaut. It's hard to go wrong with black on black.
I have to spend a considerable amount of money to get it sorted but will do it in stages, but I wish to keep all add-ons in black

I need fenders/mudguards (I'm still deciding and really wanted Honjo hammered black fenders, but they are not available in 26", My LBS has shown me some fenders by Velo Orange called snakeskin which are made of plastic but look similar to the Honjo. I am looking at 60-65mm wide so that I can use wide tyres if I wish to:

I will change the saddle to a black Brooks B17 .... there are better quality leather saddles to the Brooks, but I have found a site selling the B17 for very cheap

I need to get a decent back Rack.... I'm still undecided, but am leaning towards the Tubus Logo in black for the rear, and much later will decide if I need front panniers (I won't be touring and will only use this bike for daily commutes, but I carry approx 10-12kg of gear every day, and also do the daily shopping after work)

I have already bought pedals (delivered today), and have bought the Shimano PD A530 (I can use them with my trainers in the meantime, but also need to get shoes with cleats)

I will use the tyres supplied (I'm not sure what they are as I bought the bike from a bike shop that is far from me, and will know on monday) .... I will then change the tyres to Schwalbe Supreme (I'm also looking very closely at the Compass Rat Trap, but they are 54mm wide. If I get 60mm wide fenders, the Compass tyres may be too wide for the 60mm wide fenders:

Panniers.... I have a set of Carradice Overlander, but they are blue. I will keep them, but am looking very closely at the Carradice Super C in black and which can hold over 50 litres for the pair.

bike computer/gps: I am looking closely at the Sigma ROX 10.0 (mainly for current speed and Cadence plus the GPS function), and I am a premium member of Strava to record my rides:

Bell.... I will get a brass crane bell:

Brakes .... many have said that the LHT brakes are bad, I will try some Kool Stop Salmon pads, and if they don't work properly, I will look at something different

Camera: I have decided that I will get the fly 6 for the back .... still undecided for the front (Go-Pro or similar)

Lights: I have a cygolite hotshot for the back (and the Fly 6 also works as a back light) and have a cheap chinese Cree which I use on a headband for the front. It's getting summer now, so I won't need to use this often, and when winter comes again I will look if there is something better for a good price

a Stem Captain digital clock .... I commute 120-150 miles per week and am always late and worry about what time it is (I don't hve a wristwatch and my mobile phone is always in my pocket):

Bike Insurance: I will definately get this .... it is cheap here in the UK and even covers vandalism, theft, the legal side if you have an accident etc etc ....

I'm hoping to have all the above within the next 2 months (I am planning to keep this bike for a long time)... it becomes an expensive bike with all the add-ons

any suggestions will be appreciated

Last edited by dim; 04-02-16 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-02-16, 11:59 AM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
When I became interested in touring bicycles I was struck by the number of positive comments about the LHT. Largely motivated by the geometry, durability, mounting options and "fun to ride".

Because I wanted different handlebars, saddle and brakes, I've purchased a frame and built from components. Shimano XT trekking (780) group, Schwalbe Marathon Supreme on Mavic 317 rims

1. Very pleased with the (zoom) butterfly handlebars. Bioleder ergon grips motivated by comments that the rubberized version may not age very well.
2. Took some time, but after 1000km, my rear end has been molded to perfectly fit the Brooks Flyer's shape
3. Very pleased with the framelock (Abus Amparo). Inconspicuous, impossible to forget.

4. I've installed full length fenders, and then removed them because they are a major pain to deal with when you fly. Now tentatively fitted with removable SKS trekking fenders. The thing is that while commuting with fenders makes total sense, touring may not, as you'll be wet no matter what, when you travel all day long under the rain.
5. I have installed and (temporarily) removed a Tubus Tara front rack. Useful if/when 4+ panniers are needed. Otherwise a pain when you fly.

6. Have replaced QR with Halo hex skewers.
7. Am in the process of purchasing a dynamo wheel and in-steerer USB charger.

Attached Images
Bke.jpg (102.7 KB, 660 views)
Handlebars.jpg (96.5 KB, 658 views)
Old 04-02-16, 12:16 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice fork watch!
Old 04-02-16, 12:19 PM
dim

Originally Posted by Squeezebox
Nice fork watch!
they make a few gadgets such as thermometers, compasses, clock etc:

Stem CAPtain
Old 04-02-16, 12:20 PM
RedandBlack

Bikes: '14 Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice upgrades everyone. People always say that the LHT is built with base level parts to encourage customization. So far for mine I have upgraded to a B 17 and will be getting a new seat post shortly. I have SKS Longboard Fenders and will be switching out the stock Contis for 2" Schwalbe Marathon Mondials. My rear rack is a Surly CroMoly and my front is a Jaand Low Rider. I also have Cygo Light 310/Hotshot 2 for lights and a Cats Eye Velo 7. I would have preferred a black bike so that I could've had red add ons, but the silver was the only of last years stock left. However, the Grey and Black theme I have going looks pretty sharp if I say so myself.
Old 04-02-16, 01:11 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
...I wish to keep all add-ons in black

I need fenders/mudguards (I'm still deciding and really wanted Honjo hammered black fenders, but they are not available, My LBS has shown me some fenders by Velo Orange called snakeskin which are made of plastic but look similar to the Honjo. I am looking at 60-65mm wide so that I can use wide tyres if I wish to...
All VO fenders are either Al or SS, not plastic - the ones you linked are not 26" fenders.

I recommend VO's 26" Al fenders, I've used them for years and they will accommodate maximum tire size on 26" LHT. They are polished, silver, and look better than black fenders with a black frameset. Silver fenders will complement the silver component theme already imposed by Surly's build of your Complete LHT.
Old 04-02-16, 01:25 PM
dim

Originally Posted by seeker333
All VO fenders are either Al or SS, not plastic - the ones you linked are not 26" fenders.

I recommend VO's 26" Al fenders, I've used them for years and they will accommodate maximum tire size on 26" LHT. They are polished, silver, and look better than black fenders with a black frameset. Silver fenders will complement the silver component theme already imposed by Surly's build of your Complete LHT.
thanks .... the ones I linked were from a google search just to show what they look like. you are correct, they are aluminium. My LBS says they have them in 650B and will fit them to suit the 26" wheels on my bike... thats why I'm still undecided... I don't want them to look 'odd'. I have looked at the Velo Orange shiney stainless steel ones (very nice and robust), but as I said, I would like to keep everything black

He also showed me black SKS chromo plastic full length for 26" wheels and these can be 65mm wide which will accomodate very wide tyres. If I'm not happy with the 650B snakeskin, I will most probaly settle for these (they are a lot cheaper)

Buy SKS Chromoplastic Full Length Mudguards at Tredz Bikes. £25.94 with free UK delivery

I prefer to keep everything in black but will decide on the fenders on Tuesday when I take my bike to the LBS (first things that I am doing is to have the fenders, brooks saddle and rear rack sorted)
Old 04-02-16, 04:28 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
No epic journeys but it has covered a good 30K miles commuting and light touring:

Attached Images
IMG_1664 (2) (800x600).jpg (102.0 KB, 695 views)
Old 04-02-16, 08:22 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
I no longer own it but it did work as advertised. Solid frame, almost expedition like in nature.

Last edited by robow; 04-02-16 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-02-16, 09:55 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Here is "Shirley" after Bilenky S&S/powder-coat. I picked black components to contrast with the turquoise. Buying white/copper-rivet Selle San Marco for the appearance was a mistake: reviewers noted it was rock-hard & they weren't exaggerating. Brooks is usually a good choice but OTOH your stock saddle looks fairly comfy. I put on a rear rack, fenders & aero clip-on bars, haven't bought the front Tubus rack yet. Switched to Ritchey Tom Slick 35 mm-wide tires w/Mr Tuffy tire liners 'cause from photo I obviously don't know how to mount tires in the correct direction, heh. Seriously, one thing I like about the Trucker is that not only are "fatties fine", the ride is comfy enough to allow narrower tires too.

I like your plans; IMHO it's more fun to have a bike that looks good. Brass bell is a nice touch.

Attached Images
DSCF0298.jpg (100.1 KB, 668 views)
Old 04-02-16, 10:17 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Old 04-02-16, 11:40 PM
steeljunkie

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1, Black Mountain Cycles Road, Surly LHT

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I use my LHT primarily for commuting, but also for any wet weather rides. It's big, heavy and very smooth - a lot more fun to ride that I ever thought it would be. Best of all it makes my other bikes feel very, very light!
Attached Images
Surly lht.jpg (99.0 KB, 663 views)
Old 04-03-16, 02:51 AM
robow

Originally Posted by Doug64
Let me guess, you're in Scotland as evidenced by all the lochs.
Old 04-03-16, 05:11 AM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
IMG_20140625_111900510_HDR by cyclingdann, on Flickr
Old 04-03-16, 06:32 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Last December:

The first thing you need to do is get ride of that seat post. It's not very good. You don't want the teeth wearing down on you in the middle of a tour.
Attached Images
DSC00235.jpg (106.3 KB, 658 views)
Old 04-03-16, 06:37 AM
corwin1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
I came really close to buying a LHT and if Surly would do what Salsa did and offer two versions with different top-tube lengths, I would probably end up buying a 26" long top-tube LHT and putting some Rat Trap Pass tires on it! In fact, if I had an LHT it would look like this:

Last edited by corwin1968; 04-03-16 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-03-16, 07:42 AM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
No, not Scotland. I think Doug64 was in Paris.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/02/wo...down.html?_r=0
Old 04-03-16, 09:11 AM
robow

Originally Posted by robert schlatte

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/02/wo...down.html?_r=0
Robert, you're killin' me here: lochs vs. locks
Old 04-03-16, 09:20 AM
Doug64

Originally Posted by robow

Originally Posted by robert schlatte
You are correct. Our lock is the shiny one just above and to the left of my cross tube water bottle

Last edited by Doug64; 04-03-16 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-03-16, 09:29 AM
Doug64

Originally Posted by corwin1968
I came really close to buying a LHT and if Surly would do what Salsa did and offer two versions with different top-tube lengths, I would probably end up buying a 26" long top-tube LHT and putting some Rat Trap Pass tires on it! In fact, if I had an LHT it would look like this:

All LHTs have disproportionately long top tubes. That is one of the things I don't like about them.
Old 04-03-16, 10:42 AM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Here's mine. I changed both wheels, front for the dynohub, rear because the rim cracked. It has a Nitto Noodle 46cm handlebar. The stem cap is a GoPro mount, the bell is mounted on a spacer and I added a single 25mm black spacer underneath since that photo was taken. The black tape on the top tube was added after ripping a couple of shirts and my favorite jacket on the cable guide when carrying the bike over the shoulder. Both brakes were changed as well. Shifters are mounted on Paul's Thumbies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.