Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best ride break meal?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best ride break meal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-18, 11:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Best ride break meal?

Please note--this is not a request for nutritional advice or your opinion on in-ride nutrition. There's more than enough threads on those topics.

I have a habit of taking very long single-day rides (greater than 100 miles, so far longest 168), and during those rides I generally take an hour or so off in the middle for a real meal. My question is two-fold: Does anybody else do this, and what's the most enjoyable meal they've had on such a break?

For me, the most satisfying meal I had 95 miles into a 153 mile ride was a big bowl of beef pho and spring rolls, with lots of water. The salty broth just felt so good in that context that I may have enjoyed it more than much better bowls of pho than I had ever had. In terms of actual quality, the best meal I ever had on a ride was a (yes, really) goulash sub from a pizza place located in a gas station convenience store--the family was Hungarian, so the goulash was the real thing, and I've eaten it in Budapest. If you ever are in Sherborn, MA look up Rustic Pizza.

If you're ever in RI, stopping for hot dogs is a no-brainer. Better than Chicago or NY if you ask me.

Mentions of Clif bars and gel packs will definitely be off-topic. What's the best meal you've had during a ride?
Old 07-24-18, 12:17 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Twice while on tour I stopped in Newport, WA for chicken fried steak and a biscuit with sausage gravy. Same route of about 100 miles two consecutive years. The first time was my first experience with chicken fried steak.
Old 07-24-18, 02:06 PM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Heh heh... I always feel like strong beer is good, so I'll have a couple and still have 50 miles to go. At about mile 55 I feel oh so smart and oh so clever. Then miles 60-100 come around and I realize how dumb I was... But I do it alot, it's insane...
Old 07-24-18, 02:16 PM
sevenmag

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Probably some fried deer tenderloin. I launch from home and generally find my way back to refill bottles and such between 40 and 50 miles if I'm riding longer than that. I keep beer and overflow food in my shop fridge. I spotted that tenderloin in there while grabbing fresh water bottles. Even cold it was fantastic, and it even sat in the gut well for the rest of the ride.
Old 07-24-18, 02:30 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Best ride meal I ever had was on a group ride 25 miles up a rail trail to a BBQ restaurant, then 25 miles back. That was my first half century.
Old 07-24-18, 02:30 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
The one someone else buys
Old 07-24-18, 02:43 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Best ride meal I ever had was on a group ride 25 miles up a rail trail to a BBQ restaurant, then 25 miles back. That was my first half century.

Barbecue is a great during ride meal! Just feels right to eat it when you've been sweating in the sun. Definitely needs a Dr. Pepper with it (I eat like a pig during rides and drink diet soda which makes no sense, except habit).
Old 07-24-18, 02:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by DanBraden
Heh heh... I always feel like strong beer is good, so I'll have a couple and still have 50 miles to go. At about mile 55 I feel oh so smart and oh so clever. Then miles 60-100 come around and I realize how dumb I was... But I do it alot, it's insane...

I don't drink, but maybe the problem is not having more at mile 65?

I think we've got our marketing hook--Clif Beer.
Old 07-24-18, 02:52 PM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't drink, but maybe the problem is not having more at mile 65?

I think we've got our marketing hook--Clif Beer.
Oh sure, just enable my worst impulses!
Old 07-24-18, 02:53 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Casey's pizza.

For all the non-midwesterners, Casey's General Store is a convenience store primarily in small towns throughout the midwest. They have good donuts and pizza and they are typically tolerant of cyclists refilling water bottles and using restrooms, etc. Casey's is also frequently the only choice for any kind of resupply on a long ride in some of these towns, especially in areas where towns might be 15-20 miles apart.

In 2015 I entered (and completed) my first Dirty Kanza -- 200 miles through gravel and dirt roads through open range grassland. It was an infamously muddy year and involved several miles of hike-a-bike. You're only allowed crew support at designated checkpoints, which were 75 miles apart that year. I was shooting for a 15-hour finish, but with the adverse conditions I came in just under 18 hours.

Energy gels and Clif bars get real old after 12 hours on the bike. When I rolled into the second checkpoint at mile 150, it had already been 14 hours and I had another 50 miles to go. I was in pretty rough shape.

My support crew -- aka my wife and my dad -- had got some Casey's pizza for themselves. As I was refilling water bottles and such my wife said "Do you want some pizza?" Yes. Yes I did.

It was the most glorious thing I have ever tasted in my life, before or since. I wolfed down 4 slices in about 30 seconds. (In hindsight, the 4th slice might've been overkill and I very nearly yakked it back up a few miles down the road, but I digress).

Granted, the tastiness of the pizza was undoubtedly influenced by the fact that I had just biked 150 miles. However, I have had Casey's pizza at other times and it is pretty tasty on its own merits, as far as gas station pizzas go. And I will always have a fond place in my heart for it.
Old 07-24-18, 03:08 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions

If you're ever in RI, stopping for hot dogs is a no-brainer. Better than Chicago
Heretic! No dog is better than a Chicago dog.
Old 07-24-18, 03:36 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Casey's pizza.

For all the non-midwesterners, Casey's General Store is a convenience store primarily in small towns throughout the midwest. They have good donuts and pizza and they are typically tolerant of cyclists refilling water bottles and using restrooms, etc. Casey's is also frequently the only choice for any kind of resupply on a long ride in some of these towns, especially in areas where towns might be 15-20 miles apart.

In 2015 I entered (and completed) my first Dirty Kanza -- 200 miles through gravel and dirt roads through open range grassland. It was an infamously muddy year and involved several miles of hike-a-bike. You're only allowed crew support at designated checkpoints, which were 75 miles apart that year. I was shooting for a 15-hour finish, but with the adverse conditions I came in just under 18 hours.

Energy gels and Clif bars get real old after 12 hours on the bike. When I rolled into the second checkpoint at mile 150, it had already been 14 hours and I had another 50 miles to go. I was in pretty rough shape.

My support crew -- aka my wife and my dad -- had got some Casey's pizza for themselves. As I was refilling water bottles and such my wife said "Do you want some pizza?" Yes. Yes I did.

It was the most glorious thing I have ever tasted in my life, before or since. I wolfed down 4 slices in about 30 seconds. (In hindsight, the 4th slice might've been overkill and I very nearly yakked it back up a few miles down the road, but I digress).

Granted, the tastiness of the pizza was undoubtedly influenced by the fact that I had just biked 150 miles. However, I have had Casey's pizza at other times and it is pretty tasty on its own merits, as far as gas station pizzas go. And I will always have a fond place in my heart for it.
I second this. I've never eaten Casey's pizza on a ride, but they do have some very good pizza for a convenience store.
Old 07-24-18, 03:50 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Believe it or not, Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup. Some 175 miles into a 400k (250 mile) ride, I was hurting bad. It had been a long, hot, steep, hot, long, tiring, hot day. Needed salt, and water, and carbs, and couldn't stomach even looking at anything inside that well-stocked convenience store. A fellow rider talked me into getting a bowl of soup and microwaving it. 15 minutes later, I was ready to ride!
Old 07-24-18, 06:14 PM
dylandewandel

Bikes: 2014 Diamondback Trace Comp (Modified)

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I once stopped at an Amish fruit stand mid ride; I bought a giant yellow watermelon and a pint of raspberry jam. I found a shady spot further down the road and put my bamboo spoon to good use! Why yes, I do carry a spoon in my seat pack.
Old 07-24-18, 06:56 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
this is going to be a difficult one for me to isolate just to one ride's meal...
Old 07-24-18, 08:10 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I second this. I've never eaten Casey's pizza on a ride, but they do have some very good pizza for a convenience store.
and here i thought you lived across the pond in Englandville.
huh.

Casey's is located in my town, and is hit in most all long rides in the country.
all gravel roads around here lead to a Casey's.
Old 07-24-18, 08:18 PM
C.Jester

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don’t do rides 150 miles long, but I’m a fan of Chinese if I stop. Protein, sugars, and it’s just freaken good.
Old 07-24-18, 08:36 PM
xrayzebra 
Very Verbose Member

Bikes: Surly Troll, Commencal Meta Power 29 Signature, old Specialized Hard Rock electrified, several restomod Schwinns, Biria Easy Board, Worksman trike electrified

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I never ride far enough to need to stop for a meal, but I do love me a Lance Peanut Bar as a quick snack.
Old 07-24-18, 08:55 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Heretic! No dog is better than a Chicago dog.
You obviously haven't had a Sonoran dog.
Old 07-24-18, 09:08 PM
Noahma

Bikes: 2022 Orbea Orca M20Team, 2017 Orbea Avant M40, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I usually try to stay away from greasy things when riding, but Man a good chili cheese tater tots hit the spot sometimes, or a good burrito smothered in green chili.
Old 07-24-18, 09:31 PM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
*searches: milk OR chocolate OR chocolate milk*

Hmmmm... Oh you guys'll get into a slap fight about hot dogs and not ONE of you says "chocolate milk"???

WTH guys?

When the wife sends me to the grocery store for the shopping and I've loaded my panniers up to the brim, you're DAMN right chocolate milk is on the "secret list" every time! Granted, that's a short ride, but still, CHOCOLATE MILK!

I've always wanted to go on a long ride and eat a rotisserie chicken... all of it... in one sitting... DON'T JUDGE ME!!!

And to the fellow that stopped at the fruit stand, so far you're the winner in MY book bamboo spoon and all!
Old 07-24-18, 10:25 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by DanBraden
Just wait a little longer. Recent 160km ride had us stopping at a local microbrewery with about 53km to go. Very enjoyable lunch stop with fish tacos and beers and a comfortably numb ride home.
Old 07-24-18, 11:33 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Fried cheese curds.

OK, I haven't actually had these on a long ride, since I try to stay away from solid food. But if they were to magically appear, I wouldn't turn them down. There is never a bad time for fried cheese curds.
Old 07-25-18, 12:10 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Thinking back over some memorable metric and standard centuries since the 1970s...

A cliff side cantina midway along the Rosarita-Ensenada ride during the late 1970s-early '80s.

King Street Grill food truck BBQ and a couple of beers from a favorite local microbrewery tap room during a spring metric century. Some of the best BBQ in the area, mobile or otherwise.

Way too much schnitzel and beer at Greenwood's on Blue Bonnet Circle in Fort Worth at the 75 mile mark of a birthday century that turned into a 125 miler last fall. Only problem was all the burping on the way home.

Most of these memories are associated with group rides and good friends, so I'm biased. I could have eaten Jack in the Box mystery tacos, two for a buck, and probably been happy.
Old 07-25-18, 12:17 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
TOGOs #9 . (Hot Pastrami)

Rubio's fish tacos.

And my go to, because my stomach handles them well: 2 cheeseburgers from McDs, and large soda. 3.24 for lunch is hard to beat. Gourmand? No... but it hits the spot at the top of the local 30 mile loop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.