Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Disc Brakes; Yay or Nay?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Disc Brakes; Yay or Nay?

Old 08-17-18, 10:16 AM
Point

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz

Not going for the latest is not synonymous with going backwards.
Well put
Old 08-17-18, 10:22 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Just because something is obsolete doesn't mean it doesn't work.
Old 08-17-18, 11:12 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Just because something is obsolete doesn't mean it doesn't work.
You are correct, the abacus can work just as well today as it did 5000 years ago.
Old 08-17-18, 12:16 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Nobody is implying that. But to say rim brakes are better is completely false.
Old 08-17-18, 12:30 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Nobody is implying that. But to say rim brakes are better is completely false.
Define "better."

On second thought ... don't bother.
Old 08-17-18, 12:55 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Define "better."

This thread has gone exactly the way I thought it would.
Old 08-17-18, 01:07 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
But to say rim brakes are better is completely false.
Maybe better "technically" but not necessarily better to have. The canti brakes on my LHT are more than adequate to stop my 210 lb. body, heavy bike and touring load, even in wet conditions. When I am out on the road for two weeks with not one bike shop even close to my route why would I want a braking system that I could more easily damage than my current system? If the bike happens to, say, fall over I am far more likely to bend a rotor than knock my cantis out of whack. For my application, I don't consider having disk brakes to be better since what I have is more than adequate and presents fewer potential issues.
Old 08-17-18, 01:14 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
One thing to add, how often does one ;purposely go out in the rain or get caught unwittingly in the rain? Get real, it is not very often, if ever.
Are you kidding? I deliberately ride in the rain just about any time it's raining out! I ride almost every day year round and see plenty of rain, some of it anticipated and some not.
Old 08-17-18, 01:17 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
I am happy staying right where I am. My DA 9000 brakes on my super fly custom ti road machine are more than sufficient. And I have never come close to flying off a cliff when touring fully loaded with my canti-equipped touring bike.

I've got DA 9000 on my Scott, and those are incredible brakes imo. At least in dry conditions they easily have the stopping power of the BB7 disks on my AWOL and the TRP Spyres on my Diverge. Frankly I'm always blown away by how effective they are.

Now I don't ride that particular bike in the rain (if I can help it) and I expect the brakes wouldn't fare as well in wet conditions, but my goodness they really are great.
Old 08-17-18, 01:31 PM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
When I was looking for a new ride last year I wanted to try a disc brake bike. The first one was a mechanical disc set up. I was disappointed. All this talk about how great disc was and I honestly couldn't feel any difference from my 20 yr old bike. Next up was a Hydraulic disc. I was blown away and wont go back to mechanical or rim again.

Hydraulic Disc are the way to go. They are silky smooth and I have had to bleed them as much as I do on my car. I'm a large rider and their is definitely a difference in stopping power and ease.
I understand most of the skinny road guys don't need them, but i'm not one of them. Come around a blind corner on a MUP to see a kid ridding head on and you will be glad you have them.
Old 08-17-18, 02:24 PM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Sounds like slowing down with rim brakes before blind corners is better option than flying at it and slamming the disc brakes to avoid running into people.
Who said anything about flying around a corner? This is the difference between emergency braking and planned braking. When it counts I want the best available.

Last edited by Razorrock; 08-17-18 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-17-18, 03:17 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

This thread has gone exactly the way I thought it would.
A lot less acrimonious than I would have expected. Considering how many times the material has been rehashed, I expected the ugliness to come out quickly. So far, everyone has been keeping things pretty decent, and not dissing everyone who disagrees.

Refreshing.
Old 08-17-18, 04:39 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
Thanks for your post buddy. I should add I'm leaning towards the Cannondale Synapse Tiagra. Would it be fair to ask what this bike would sell for in your shop, or in a local shop most anywhere.?? If this isn't proper could you email me with that tidbit of information.?? I ask because when I search online at the local shops website's they all list the bike at retail or, suggested retail price. I would assume I could get the bike for less, 20 to 30 percent less. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm seeing $1249 with disc brakes.
I have no problem with you asking. Cdale has a high MSRP of 1300 and a low MSRP of 1250 (numbers rounded up). We sell at the low MSRP. Finding a used one may be your best bet unless a dealer has an older model available. Generally speaking, selling a bike at 20-30% off leaves only enough profit to cover the mechanic's cost and service warranty. Can't stay in business at that rate of discount.
Old 08-17-18, 08:44 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Define "better."

Stop quicker, 2) better modulation, 3) unaffected by moisture. I'm pretty sure at this point for all the reasons that we rely on brakes for they are better.
Old 08-18-18, 02:53 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Stop quicker, 2) better modulation, 3) unaffected by moisture. I'm pretty sure at this point for all the reasons that we rely on brakes for they are better.
heavier, more complicated to install and maintain, provide no real improvement in stopping ability in most situations. Not better.

Different.

I have hydro discs, mech discs, and goo and less good rim brakes (though the less good are on a bike I just resurrected and are getting replaced) on bikes I currently ride. I have no problem stopping ion Any of them except the bike with old Mavic sidepulls ... and that stops quite well, just not as good as the 4600, 4500, 4700, 105, and Ultegra brakes I use on others. The Mech discs have huge stopping power .... but it is all wasted because the tires are the limiting factor.

You Like discs better, so you focus ont he aspects of disc brakes you find appealing. others focus on the drawbacks. I like having reliable brakes on my bikes, so i don't have to pick favorites among systems which all work about equally well.

But ... since you have made up your mid about Your preference, you feel a need to demand that everyone prefer what you prefer. And everyone who disagrees with Your preference is wrong.

Which is why this conversation usually dead-0ends here---someone want =s oto discuyss how he is right and everyone is wrong, instead of actually talking about brake systems.

Up until this point, I was quite pleased to see people actually discussing the Options ... not trying to establish heirarchies of personal preference and mandate them for everyone.

That's all.
Old 08-18-18, 03:20 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
When disc brakes fail through heat build up from heavy braking, they fail to a mode of not working. With the exception of carbon rims, rim brakes don't fail from heavy braking. When heavily loaded, going down big hills you do have to think about what is happening with discs and heat. You don't with rim brakes. I still like my discs and I'm not taking them off my bike, but they are only on there because I scored them cheap as part of a package deal.
Old 08-18-18, 05:55 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
Disc brakes are spinning saw blades, and have killed people. Then again, with rim brakes if you get one drop of water on the rims, you will be unable to stop and will careen into oncoming traffic. Disc brakes have way better modulation, whereas with rim brakes once you press the lever, your wheels will lock up and you will endo. Disc brakes take a degree in astrophysics in order to adjust or change the pads, whereas rim brakes can be adjusted by a trained monkey. Wheels with rim brakes are easier to swap, for the next time you race in the Tour de France, whereas if you have a disc wheel, there is exactly one wheel the pads will work with, and anything else will not fit.

I think that about cover the pros and cons. The choice is yours.
Give proof a disc has killed anyone. I suggest this is here say fake news.
Old 08-18-18, 05:58 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
On steep long down grades discs wont over heat the rims and cause a tire to blow out.
Old 08-18-18, 07:31 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Trevtassie
When disc brakes fail through heat build up from heavy braking, they fail to a mode of not working.
Solutions: feather the brakes on decents, don't ride them.
With the exception of carbon rims, rim brakes don't fail from heavy braking. When heavily loaded, going down big hills you do have to think about what is happening with discs and heat. You don't with rim brakes. I still like my discs and I'm not taking them off my bike, but they are only on there because I scored them cheap as part of a package deal.
What's true for disc brakes is true for rim brakes as well.

One more thing,

... Regarding safety and braking performance, there is no doubt to me that disc brakes are superior to rim brakes in any situation. ...

Michael Adomeit, Head engineer, Canyon Bikes
Old 08-18-18, 07:59 AM
Point

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Stop quicker is subjective, as is better modulation. You are incorrect on number 3. All brakes are affected by moisture, it’s the reduction in the coefficient of friction. Discs may be less affected, but moisture affects all braking surfaces
Old 08-18-18, 08:30 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by rydabent
Give proof a disc has killed anyone. I suggest this is here say fake news.
Dude .... if you couldn't see the sarcasm dripping off this post, you are too old for a bike and belong on a recumbent.
Old 08-18-18, 08:33 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by rydabent
On steep long down grades discs wont over heat the rims and cause a tire to blow out.
I have actually seen this happen on TV in races ..... but only I think twice in a few decades. On the other hand, I can't open my newspaper each morning with seeing two or three stories about disc brakes running amok and killing their spouses and families.

(The news paper bit was especially for you, Mr. Rydabent---i figure you and I are the only ones old enough to remember what a "newspaper" is.)
Old 08-18-18, 08:52 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
The shop I work in handles both Scott and Cannondale. Both are very good frames, however I prefer the Synapse as I like the fit. As for disc brakes, if you can't go for the much more expensive models, I don't recommend them as they are almost always a disappointment in performance and rarely out-perform a standard rim brake. My daughter has the Synapse Tiagra and sticks with me just fine and easily modulates speed on descents and can panic stop without trouble. In wet weather just give a few rotations to wipe off the rim with the pads and you will stop, not as quickly as a disc brake, but you will stop. Been riding them all my life and never had trouble stopping in time in wet weather, even when loaded with touring equipment.

One thing to add, how often does one ;purposely go out in the rain or get caught unwittingly in the rain? Get real, it is not very often, if ever.
Unless you you live in New England, or the PNW or anywhere else with regular rain. AZ and CA may need not apply. I commute year round and don't postpone my schedules bike packing trips because of weather.
Old 08-18-18, 08:56 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
When disc brakes fail through heat build up from heavy braking, they fail to a mode of not working. With the exception of carbon rims, rim brakes don't fail from heavy braking. When heavily loaded, going down big hills you do have to think about what is happening with discs and heat. You don't with rim brakes. I still like my discs and I'm not taking them off my bike, but they are only on there because I scored them cheap as part of a package deal.
Never had discs fail, mech or hydro. Big man here with loaded bikepacking rigs too.
Old 08-18-18, 09:04 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I can only think of 2 advantages of disc brakes:

- much better stopping in winter where ice/snow build up on rims can make rim brakes almost useless and road salt/grit on the roads wear out your rims in one season and...

- if you do a lot of downhill mountain biking

If you don't do the type of riding described above, then rim brakes is all you will ever need. A properly adjusted rim brakes with good quality pads will stop just as good as disc brakes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.