Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

I'm torn on which to do first.

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

I'm torn on which to do first.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-18, 08:38 AM
ryan_rides

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Cordoba 2021 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I'm 5'10" and was 198 lb. This spring I dropped to 166 lb.

Loosing weight was the best cycling upgrade I've ever done.

10 lb will be very noticeable. The bike will fly if you loose 20 lb. Lose the weight if you can. You won't regret the hard work.

My Fitness Pal is a great tool.

-Tim-
I'm usually at 170lbs. I need to get back in the gym.
Old 09-13-18, 08:54 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan_rides
Come to South Florida. I'll give you a head start.
If I can ever think of a reason I'd want to go to South Florida, I'll let you know.
Old 09-13-18, 09:12 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Old 09-13-18, 09:51 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,645 Posts
Can I get a head start too ?
Old 09-13-18, 11:09 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The entire population of North and South Carolina went to Florida for the week.

Old 09-13-18, 01:02 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
There should a char limit on replies to prevent diarrhea of the keyboard.
Old 09-13-18, 02:58 PM
ryan_rides

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Cordoba 2021 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
The entire population of North and South Carolina went to Florida for the week.

Too accurate!
Old 09-13-18, 05:48 PM
Bang0Bang00
41 calories/30 min typing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by REDMASTA
There should a char limit on replies to prevent diarrhea of the keyboard.
See, I don't consider long on-topic posts as an issue. Unrelated banter on the other hand, not so helpful.

First off, to everyone who have advice, thanks.

I am 5'10 and I'm the heaviest I've ever been at roughly 185-190lbs.
I consider myself to be a strong rider. This bike is my only bike and it's my daily. I don't drive and I don't uber. South Florida is flat and boring. And every 40 year old roadie is surprised when I drop them in normal clothes (although I do get dropped hard but not often but I'm dead after and have to stop for Chik-Fl-A) Wind sucks here especially right now during hurricane season. The hurricane reservations are pretty booked right now. I do ride Clipless (look keo carbon blades). I'm pretty my stock cranks are 165mm. I'm not too I want to mess around with different crank arm length yet. I'm open to going up to 17t rear since it's basically just going up 2 teeth front and rear 48/15 ---->50/17. I think it would feel similar? And I think I can go up to 51t front maybe.
Wheels wise I cannot afford a disc wheel or carbon for that matter. I really can't spend more that $350 on wheels and I think that's a good price range to get decent wheels. Like I mentioned before hplus sons laced to gran comps from retrogression. In the future I would love to buy front and rear profile racing track hubs (with hed rims['Merica]. Also I carry a U lock everywhere I go unless I'm on an early morning ride so deep wheels just won't work for me right now. I hate riding anything skinnier than 25c tires. All the old heads still riding 23c blows my mind. I would love to strictly ride 28c but my forks won't allow. New bars will come eventually. Most likely after I get a new stem first. I want a longer reach. I probably will stay with the compact drop style although the classic track drops look nice on certain bikes. I could definitely benefit from a higher quality BB. I love the simplicity of the gxp BB that the sram omniums come with. Easy maintenance. There's a velodrome about an hour South of me. Haven't been yet.

This is my not track ready yet, daily. (S-works front tire was free, will ride until bald)
Currently riding an Izumi Super Toughness Track Chain
I remember riding everywhere and being sub 200. I hope to get back there some day - I feel you bro!

Dropping people riding a fixie has it's own special place in one's heart. Those that haven't done it can't completely understand. At a certain point, riding fixed almost feels like an unfair advantage.

Wind! Florida. Of course. Side wind, from what I understand, usually negates most areo benefits of most frames/ wheels. I think that if wind is consistently an issue, forget aero wheels and pay more attention to strength or lightness of a low rim wheel.

Double down on riding position (TT or drops) and sexy riding apparel. It looks stupid, but it works... mind you, I tend to save mine for rides or track days. Still not a huge fan of looking like a lycra billboard.

When I looked, it said the stock cranks are 170mm. Depending on what the case is, you might actually be able to go to 165mm or lower. At 5'10 and being strong, I have a feeling shorter cranks might be the secret sauce you're missing. I noticed huge differences at really high cadence (flying downhill) between 165, 167.5, and 170mm. I'd ride shorter cranks if I could make it up hills... I need the leverage for now.

If you can only fit 50/51 on the front, maybe skip my 17 rear suggestion. Start talking/ thinking in inches. It's a smaller metric and common in track cycling (at least in my area). Less than 80 gear inches is relatively easy. 100 gear inches is a lot. - https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

Skinny tires make sense on wooden track, not much else.

Yes yes yes! To all of the stem, bars and BB's. These little changes can have huge benefits. With better fit generally comes more efficiency/ comfort/ power.

Dude, you're an hour away? Is it indoor or out?

I'd say wait on the wheel purchase and spend the money on the track courses, if you're interested. If you get hooked on track cycling, you may want track-only wheels/ tires. They typically don't allow road tires onto indoor tracks for fear of debris.

You'd probably stomp a lot of the new riders at the track. Probably not the experienced riders though. There's some fast old lycra dudes at the track.

If you're at all considering trying it go take a look. They won't let you try without paying insurance, but it's fun and scary as f*ck. Just remember, stay perpendicular to the track and ride fast... ride fast forever.

Old 09-13-18, 08:40 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts
my wheels and drivetrain, apart from my chain, are 1-2 years old. I don't care much about looks. I want strong/stuff wheels with less rolling resistance and also wider rims. Aventon's cranks are garbage compared to omniums which I've rode before on my previous bike (which was ran over). I just want a smooth drive train because I love going fast. The more efficient my power transfer can be the better. I can't afford zipps. I'm looking at hplus sons laced to gran comp hubs so budget is like $300 for wheels. Obviously I would love to have another set of omniums given that they're simple to maintain and stuff but I still want to go to a higher gear of 16/50
Im running a set of RaceFace Cadence cranks I picked up n Ebay for 60 bucks shipped with BB and Chainrings. They are way better than the Shimano 105 champagne doubles and Un53 BB i was using. If you dont mind riding 130 bcd,modern external cranksets can be had cheap and are a better upgrade than any square taper cranks,if you are after 144 bcd then Sugino and Sram are your best options.
Old 09-19-18, 01:50 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,645 Posts
Nice weight loss @TimothyH - we're not that far off. I'm 5'9" and 155 lbs. I could lose 5 lbs with minor modifications and closer to 10 (I'm leggy) but I'm not into dieting, and fine being a middling road, track and MTB racer. Having said that 10 lbs at any size is huge and losing that much would bump my w/kg numbers up quite a bit.

Of course losing weight and gaining strength is the best way to enjoy your rides more - going fast is fun. But still, there are other reasons to upgrade if it increases your enjoyment of the ride @ryan_rides. Plus it's just nice to have nice things - ain't nothing wrong with that as long as you budget your expenditures and are otherwise financially responsible.

Having said all of that I'd splurge on a nicer, matching set of wheels if I was you. It would make the bike look a lot sharper which would increase your enjoyment on a day to day basis. Putting fast tires on your current wheels will make it faster than any wheelset you can purchase, however. So maybe do both
Old 09-27-18, 12:37 AM
Bang0Bang00
41 calories/30 min typing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Ryan,

What did you end up deciding?

Have you checked out the velodrome?

FWIW, you inspired me to get back cycle commuting. Our rides are incredibly similar. You can see for yourself (pictured below).

Hopping back on the 48x17, it reminds me how much of a trade off I'm making so I can climb hills. If I were stronger and in a flatter area like you, I'd be bumping that front chain ring as big as I could handle, then fine tuning the back.

Specialized Langster (2007) pictured September 2018

Last edited by Bang0Bang00; 09-27-18 at 01:48 AM.