Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Yet another rural Georgia dog bite

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Yet another rural Georgia dog bite

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-19, 07:28 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Some dogs don't have much of a reaction to OC at all. The nice thing about it though is even if it doesn't work they take it back to their owners!
Have you sprayed with OC pepper spray and had one not stop? I ask because that is not my experience at all. I have sprayed maybe a dozen. Every one has stopped immediately. I've yet to have one continue if hit in the face. None have ever come near a cyclist again AKA "Fully trained."

Taking it back to their owners is something I don't want to happen and if a human is present I try to circle back and warn them. I don't want a small child to touch the dog and get contaminated.

"I sprayed your dog with pepper spray. If you touch your dog it will get on you and you'll need to go to the hospital. I'm telling you this as a favor to you." That usually starts the conversation. "Just hose him off and put a fan on him. He'll be perfectly fine in a couple of hours." and so forth. I've only had one owner out of maybe four or five who continued to put up a fuss. Sometimes the dogs are yelping pretty badly and most owners are genuinely relieved to find that I didn't do something to permanently harm their dog.

-Tim-
Old 04-29-19, 09:38 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

The dog which bit the rider was picked up by animal control. Animal control told the rider that the dog will be with them permanently. That means it will be destroyed. 🙁

I guess the the owners don’t care or don’t want the dog. A shot of pepper spray would have trained the dog not to chase but now it has gone and bit two people and will be put down. What a waste.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 04-29-19, 10:21 PM
good4u

Bikes: Trek DS 2 and Cannondale Topstone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Have you sprayed with OC pepper spray and had one not stop? I ask because that is not my experience at all. I have sprayed maybe a dozen. Every one has stopped immediately. I've yet to have one continue if hit in the face. None have ever come near a cyclist again AKA "Fully trained."

Taking it back to their owners is something I don't want to happen and if a human is present I try to circle back and warn them. I don't want a small child to touch the dog and get contaminated.
Two things about pepper spray I wonder about: What is the best practice for the pepper spray? Spray while riding or dismount and spray? The other thing I've wondered about is removing any spray from trigger finger. How would you handle that?
Old 04-30-19, 09:18 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
I used Halt! quite a bit riding across Kentucky, but haven't used it since (needed it a couple times, though). A little practice will let you hit the straight-charging dog while you're riding. Just keep it mounted on the bars so you can grab and spray fast -- you don't have time to unpack pepper spray when a dog is chasing you. If there's more than one dog, they may circle you, and you'll need to stop and spray if they get close. Eventually they'll get bored. You hope.

It's funny how some of the problem dogs know exactly how far the pepper spray works. Dang mutts stay 6" outside the spray zone so you can't hit them, nyah nyah.

I never got any spray on my trigger finger. Make sure you're pointing the canister in the right direction?
Old 04-30-19, 09:54 AM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Bikes: Motobecane Gravel X1, Iron Horse Maverick 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
It was not metro or West Atlanta. It was west of Atlanta. I did not get bit.

Coots Lake trailhead is mile 33.5 on the Silver Comet Trail. Two groups started at 10:00 AM. The group I was with returned to find Polk County police and animal control at the trailhead speaking with the rider from the other group who was bit and had cut his ride short.

Really, throw a dart at a map of Polk or Bartow county. Dogs are a huge problem out that way. This particular bite happened on Hightower Rd. south of Morgan Valley Rd to the west of Rockmart.

-Tim-
I think you would have to agree that "West of Atlanta" covers a whole lot of the continental U.S.
But thank-you for narrowing it down. If I get that far along the Silver Comet, I'll keep an eye open for offensive canines.
Old 04-30-19, 10:16 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by ironnerd
I think you would have to agree that "West of Atlanta" covers a whole lot of the continental U.S.
But thank-you for narrowing it down. If I get that far along the Silver Comet, I'll keep an eye open for offensive canines.
The title of the thread says "Rural Georgia."

I made it perfectly clear that the bite did not happen on the Silver Comet Trail.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 04-30-19 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-30-19, 12:01 PM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Bikes: Motobecane Gravel X1, Iron Horse Maverick 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
I'll just ride East of the ATL to avoid confusion.
Old 04-30-19, 01:31 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts

I try to use my Dog Dazer first. Usually works well. But I keep Halt spray as backup because says for dogs on it and I travel to many states and regular Pepper spray may be illegal.

Old 04-30-19, 01:54 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by hillyman

I try to use my Dog Dazer first. Usually works well. But I keep Halt spray as backup because says for dogs on it and I travel to many states and regular Pepper spray may be illegal.
Have you used this on dogs?

Can you explain what "Works well" means?

I'm not trying to challenge but sincerely asking.

Does the dog back down quickly? Get confused? Do they come after you again if you ride by a second time?

-Tim-
Old 04-30-19, 04:22 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Have you used this on dogs?

Can you explain what "Works well" means?

I'm not trying to challenge but sincerely asking.

Does the dog back down quickly? Get confused? Do they come after you again if you ride by a second time?

-Tim-
Puts out a sound only dogs and cats can hear I think, haven't tried on any but dogs. Has a range maybe 20 yards. Most dogs will stop, cock their heads and look towards ground. Aggressive dogs make a steady trot away from you. But I did ran into a Chow that didn't do a thing to him. Kept right on a coming. Had to sprint from him.

Old 04-30-19, 08:08 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts

"I sprayed your dog with pepper spray. If you touch your dog it will get on you and you'll need to go to the hospital. I'm telling you this as a favor to you." That usually starts the conversation. "Just hose him off and put a fan on him. He'll be perfectly fine in a couple of hours." and so forth. I've only had one owner out of maybe four or five who continued to put up a fuss. Sometimes the dogs are yelping pretty badly and most owners are genuinely relieved to find that I didn't do something to permanently harm their dog.

-Tim-
I had a dog that used to come visit from across the field. He was a good dog. I liked him. He started digging in my flower beds. I talked to the owner and asked if he minded if I gave it quick blast. He was fine with it, so the next time I caught him digging, I blasted him. He quit digging and came to greet me. I went inside. He eventually went home and took the spray to his owner. The owner told me it was still pretty potent.
Old 04-30-19, 09:52 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
I dont live in georgia neither the us one, nor the russian one. bu i have a feeling that in both of those places guns are not really frowned upon.

so i say use guns to repel dogs! 45acp will probably work well.
Old 05-01-19, 07:18 AM
Bent Bill

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2 Giant Frankenbike Trek Utopia Canondale 3.0 Sun Easy Racer Tadpole Schwinn Tandem Cheap Unicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by carlos danger
I dont live in georgia neither the us one, nor the russian one. bu i have a feeling that in both of those places guns are not really frowned upon.

Holy smokes now you went and did it Batman
Old 05-01-19, 07:27 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
"Danger" is his middle name. I just noticed it's his surname as well.
Old 05-01-19, 07:49 AM
mixteup

Bikes: A Few

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by carlos danger

Well, as you say "guns are not frowned upon" in places like Georgia - The problem with that, is that rural, southern, dog owners often tend to be armed themselves, and shooting their dog, might tend to provoke a response in kind.

If you're OK with that, go for it - Let us know how it turns out.....
Old 05-01-19, 07:59 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Old 05-02-19, 07:30 AM
WaveyGravey

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 86 Posts
I was afraid it was The Silver Comet. I ride it frequently. Never had a dog problem.

But about a month ago there was an armed robbery in the Cobb County section. Appears that robbers ambushed the riders by blocking the trail with a tree limb. When riders stopped, they were robbed at gun point.
Old 05-02-19, 10:46 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by mixteup
might tend to provoke a response in kind.
You don't have to shoot the dog to get some people PO'd. Spraying, kicking or even yelling at their loose dog will send some over the edge. A friend of mine had a farmer come after him with a shotgun because a cyclist had kicked at the farmers dog the day before.
Old 05-02-19, 01:54 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Dogs, helmets and valve caps dont usually end well at BF. This one took awhile to go south.

Old 05-02-19, 02:04 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Don't forget "chain care".
Old 05-02-19, 02:16 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Howabout tire recommendations?
Old 05-02-19, 02:19 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
have the county animal control officer drive your sag wagon..
Old 05-02-19, 02:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
And now the counter-argument:

Wooof, woof woof arf grrrrr woof woof arf ruff grrr yelp. Howwwwwwlllllllll!
Old 05-02-19, 03:37 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Originally Posted by livedarklions
And now the counter-argument:

Wooof, woof woof arf grrrrr woof woof arf ruff grrr yelp. Howwwwwwlllllllll!
good thing BF can't translate dog speak. You'd be getting banned for using such dog language

Old 05-02-19, 03:47 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

It clearly was dog-say evidence, any good dogbite lawyer could have objected, and had the canine jury ordered to disregard it.
Likes For Lemond1985:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.