Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A cautionary tale for old derailleurs

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A cautionary tale for old derailleurs

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-19, 10:12 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...don't hold back. You're among friends here, let it all out.
Well, in that case...

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 05-24-19, 10:45 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Even more useful than a dork disc is a derailleur guard. (We need a pejorative term for this, too. Any suggestions?) This thing really is useful, but we won't use them because they come on BSOs.

"Klutz Clanger"
Klutz Cage
Bozo Bar
Biff Brace
Schlep Shield
Goon Guard

Ride with pride!

Last edited by BFisher; 05-24-19 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 05-24-19, 11:36 AM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Some of them are beautiful. I have a few bikes that proudly wear their dork discs.
And I'd give Sekine the honor of making the most artistic Dork Disque aka Disque de Dorque!!!
Old 05-24-19, 11:58 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Kent T
And I'd give Sekine the honor of making the most artistic Dork Disque aka Disque de Dorque!!!

Absolutely. I need to track one down for my Sekine SHS 271. Heck we need a thread on beautiful dork discs, : )
Likes For bikemig:
Old 05-24-19, 01:22 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
Thanks for the heads up on these pieces of junk. I'm taking them to the scrap metal recycling yard right now!
Maybe you can find some really low level bikes for all those. Try searching "pile of Nomads without derailleurs for sale."
Old 05-24-19, 02:35 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Too late, they've been scrapped. I got $1.37.
Not bad. You can get 100 cable-end crimps on ebay for that.
Old 05-24-19, 10:22 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Duopars are awful, unreliable, fragile, quirky, require the unobtanium tabbed washer, display a stunning probability of catastrophic failures, require an unobtanium propriety upper pulley, can’t safely roll backwards, have 2 parallelograms- either one, the other or BOTH can go out of alignment because of the cheap manufacturing, even the titanium looks cheap. And Suntour self destructed trying to chase the Duopar- despite that ANY **** ty cheap, low end Suntour derailleur being better than the Duopar.
...and a partridge in a pear tree.

Not going to lie, I do see where you're coming from with this. Not necessarily with such vitriol (perhaps I've not worked on enough of them to hate 'em), but when I have, the Duopar has always been a distinct letdown from the hype associated with them.

Full disclosure: I'm biased. Where I live, there's no reason to wrap that much chain. Even a Jubilee is overkill around here

-Kurt

Old 05-24-19, 10:52 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,695 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
...and a partridge in a pear tree.

Not going to lie, I do see where you're coming from with this. Not necessarily with such vitriol (perhaps I've not worked on enough of them to hate 'em), but when I have, the Duopar has always been a distinct letdown from the hype associated with them.

Full disclosure: I'm biased. Where I live, there's no reason to wrap that much chain. Even a Jubilee is overkill around here

-Kurt
It's not necessarily vitriol- it's a list of legitimate reasons to not use or dislike them. The reason for this thread is that the plastic molded body of the derailleur is unreliable.

Yes, my Eco gave me headaches. Cheap, stamped steel bends. Proprietary pulleys suck. I had a very esteemed member of the forum "fix" it for me, but I don't trust the derailleur.

My Titane did something goofy- (I think the cage spring slipped off the stop). Based on my experience with the Eco- there's a zillion other derailleurs that are more reliable- and look much better- it just makes sense to replace it.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 05-25-19, 05:39 AM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on these pieces of junk. I'm taking them to the scrap metal recycling yard right now! BE GONE WITH YOU, EVIL SPIRITS!!!

Might not be your dish of tea, might be quirky and difficult to live with sometimes. But consider these facts, not every C&V bike has Campagnolo type dropouts, some nice bikes have Huret dropouts (not weird on French C&V bikes), those owners can't easily switch to other alternatives.
Old 05-27-19, 02:36 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
If only they made a piece of plastic or something to help prevent this....
Damn right. First thing I did when I got my first race bike in 1989 was pull it off. But in recent years I've gone back to having one on all my bikes. I've never had the derailleur go into the spokes, but have had the chain jam between the largest cog and the spokes, and that really trashes the spokes. If you use a clear plastic one, just large enough for the duties, it's barely noticeable.

Now what I'd like is a thicker cassette lockring to close the gap between the smallest cog and the frame, on a rare occasion the chain has come off and jammed in that gap, perfect size for a hard jam, any gap larger or smaller would prevent that. I bought a spacer ring for the back of the cassette but when installing it, noticed that, not only would it reduce thread engagement of the lockring, but more importantly, space the smallest 11 tooth cog off the freehub body splines, enough that I believe it would have been problematic, so I didn't use the spacer ring. A lockring with a thicker end flange, or a smallest cog with same, would do the trick.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 05-27-19, 02:45 PM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
The limit screws have springs to keep them in place. If that's not working, try different screws. Then use loctite blue.

If my chain drops from the big rear cog, physics pulls it down to my next smaller cog, not toward the spokes.

For all my rebuilds, the dork disk always goes with the reflectors, steel components, kickstands, and turkey levers: straight in the trash.
Except with Rapid Rise, which my Dahon folder is equipped with. At least set up like Rapid Rise. Tension is toward the big cogs. The Dahon "compact" derailleur shattered on the first pedal stroke on a different Dahon I bought, one of the chain links was frozen due to rust. Replacement would have been like $60-80, and that Dahon had no conventional derailleur hanger, but I replaced it with a $15 derailleur from Shimano with a "claw mount" that goes under the axle nut. Worked fabulously, better than original, and, reversed shifting to "normal", though the grip shift is now labeled backwards. Also required a new chain because it needed to be longer.
Old 05-27-19, 03:13 PM
Duragrouch

Try finding those PBO spokes at your LBS, assuming the wheel isn't trashed entirely due to the great strength of those spokes. I'll use the dork disc. This particular one is pretty inconspicuous.