Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Worries my new saddle is wrong.

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Worries my new saddle is wrong.

Old 05-26-19, 12:02 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Best of luck with the medical side of this. It IS best to get a clean bill of health first. Ask more questions when you're ready.

But keep in mind that Brooks at least had several different models of saddles, now and throughout their 100+ year history. They were designed and built for different physiognomies and ways of riding bicycles. You could have an unfortunate choice in either one. Also, leather saddles become too old, too stretched, or too distorted to function properly and give a comfortable ride even to the person the saddle was intended to fit. Depending on quality, use or care, they can need replacement anywhere from 1 year to 40 years of use.
Old 05-30-19, 07:51 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4744 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
Ben, which Terry Fly are you using? I am currently riding on an Avocet Touring III. Thanks.
I have both the chrome-moly and titanium railed ones on my bikes. Are there more choices? I definitely notice the difference on rough roads but i have the ti ones on my road only bikes and steel on my gravel bikes simply because I trust the steel more to take exceptional abuse.
Old 05-30-19, 07:55 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I have both the chrome-moly and titanium railed ones on my bikes. Are there more choices?
Seems to be a bunch of them.
Old 05-30-19, 08:15 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4744 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
My seats are older than those on the website so none match the aesthetics but they have the Classic shape. No gel. Mostly smooth leather but I have had a couple of suede ones. (I prefer smooth but it doesn't matter much. All become smooth, just a matter of time.)
Old 06-05-19, 05:06 AM
co_rouleur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Probably not really helpful, but I've tried lots of saddles and found that I don't really find any of them comfortable, so I solved the problem by just standing and pedalling... haha
Old 06-05-19, 01:11 PM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Best of luck with the medical side of this. It IS best to get a clean bill of health first. Ask more questions when you're ready.

But keep in mind that Brooks at least had several different models of saddles, now and throughout their 100+ year history. They were designed and built for different physiognomies and ways of riding bicycles. You could have an unfortunate choice in either one. Also, leather saddles become too old, too stretched, or too distorted to function properly and give a comfortable ride even to the person the saddle was intended to fit. Depending on quality, use or care, they can need replacement anywhere from 1 year to 40 years of use.
This is basically a B17 so the width is where I'd need it to be.

As for a medical update, x rays and ultrasound have ruled out a hernia. I still have a sting from the soft tissue up to the front of my hip, even when I'm off the bike. There aren't many tests left to do but probably an MRI and/or physical therapy in my future.

This could be a compounding of various issues. The one day I did try to ride with my saddle rotated slightly to the left it put a lot of pressure on the left side of my perineum. Perhaps that's what got me to this point.
Old 06-05-19, 01:28 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by The_Joe

As for a medical update, x rays and ultrasound have ruled out a hernia. I still have a sting from the soft tissue up to the front of my hip, even when I'm off the bike. There aren't many tests left to do but probably an MRI and/or physical therapy in my future.

This could be a compounding of various issues. The one day I did try to ride with my saddle rotated slightly to the left it put a lot of pressure on the left side of my perineum. Perhaps that's what got me to this point.
Did you try a similar rotation to the right?

One idea is that perhaps you have an imbalanced muscular development between the left and right sides. Exercise of some sort would seem to be a logical measure to take, but I would not have any idea what to suggest, other than simple weight-bearing yoga poses, which give a little isometric stressing of muscles and a gentle stretch. But I don't know enough to suggest anything specific, other than to stress your two sides gently but evenly.

Yoga is best with a good teacher, not a few notes on the Internet and a You-tube or two.
Old 06-05-19, 01:36 PM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan

One idea is that perhaps you have an imbalanced muscular development between the left and right sides. Exercise of some sort would seem to be a logical measure to take, but I would not have any idea what to suggest, other than simple weight-bearing yoga poses, which give a little isometric stressing of muscles and a gentle stretch. But I don't know enough to suggest anything specific, other than to stress your two sides gently but evenly.

Yoga is best with a good teacher, not a few notes on the Internet and a You-tube or two.
I had never even considered rotating it the other way. The idea of an imbalanced physiology does make sense. I am left handed and my left leg is marginally shorter. That could all be a factor I suppose.

As far as training/yoga/etc I've been doing the Myrtl stretch routine for just about a week. It doesn't hurt but I'm not sure I've noticed any benefit yet.
Old 06-05-19, 01:37 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by The_Joe