Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What Kind of Injuries Are You Over Lately?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-24-19, 02:23 AM
allout1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I personally sprained an ankle about a little over a week ago. I was bad assin' it in the racquetball court at the gym. No racket. Just handball. Well, all these muscles I started putting back on, and it gets to be very fun. Too fun. LOL Fortunately it didn't make much difference in walking too much and riding not at all. Now it's nearly done, and moving it the full limit feels really good like when you haven't had a chance to move a part for a long time. That's always something.

I pull and tear my hamstrings a little bit here and there the past six months. Normally I get them in sprints and pitching. I stretch them with several stretches and the rest of my body at the gym routinely. A few of the stretches for my hamstrings are some excruciating, Van Damm level stretches, but it's necessary. I just have to take a $5 rug with me in the gym bag, and layout on it to get it done before getting in to the routine sport outings.
Old 06-24-19, 05:58 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,385 Times in 2,733 Posts
Good job with the ankle! What's the latest prognosis for the head/brain injury? Hopefully time will get you past 50%
Old 06-24-19, 07:52 AM
DHPflaumer

Bikes: Norther Klickitat Pass, Masi Giramondo 27.5, Soma Grand Randonneur

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 26 Posts
Congrats on the recovery!

My only "injuries" right now are the permanent bruises all over my legs that only show themselves in shorts season. I'm not the most graceful rider/anythinger.

I did manage to wreck my left wrist pretty badly last summer. Definitely a hairline fracture though I didn't go get it checked out. It generally feels a little stiff, gives me a twinge every once in a while, and is a little more limited on range of motion than the right one (with some pain at the extremes), but overall isn't anything to write home about.
Likes For DHPflaumer:
Old 06-24-19, 11:30 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
For the past 12 months I have been hurting my left knee from every angle! First up, last summer I twisted my knee when tripping over an errant power cord. While I didn't fall over, I landed completely wrong. This made it difficult, but tolerable to go up stairs, and I had to curtail my walking commute and biking for the rest of the year. I had lingering pain well into November. I had to cut out my favorite workout classes due to knee instability and pain.

Then finally in December, thing were looking pretty good - I was at 75% of normal motion. And then I was on vacation in January, and we were doing a mini hike. My foot slid down a path a couple of inches and that re-aggrevated things. This time the pain was even worse. The first few days I could barely walk up the stairs - and our hotel didn't have an elevator. It was really horrible on the long flight home.

That made it impossible to bike, take the stairs, and walk more than a short distance - no long walks for me! Not only that, I ended up having some tightness in my IT band or hip flexors so I couldn't stay balanced on one leg. Putting on pants was a lot harder. I started using a chair to balance for that leg. This stuff started making me feel old. In the February or so, I was feeling around 50% and could more walking and standing without too many issues. The rain had finally slowed and I was going to start bike commuting, but my bike got stolen. Grrr. So I didn't get any of that great low impact exercise to help rebuild strength around my knee.

So finally it is mid-May and I am feeling 75%. My normal balance is back. The tightness is gone, so my range of motion is back in my hips. My new bike is almost ready. I am able to take the super scenic route on my commute and walk more. Things are pretty good. I have been taking some spin classes. Activity levels are trickling back up.

And around 2 weeks ago, I hyperextend the same left knee! Ugh, I landed wrong stepping onto a curb. And it is a new knee pain. In a different place this time. On the up note, this is healing a lot faster than the previous ones. I've been adding a brace for sleeping and occasional periods during the day, which is when my tendency to be a side sleeper can be a bit aggravating. While I was able to resume decent distance walking, standing for too long is a bit aggravating - and leaves my knee a little sore. Hopefully I am back to normal in a week or two.

This knee pain has been so irritating. I am so over it. Once things feel fully healed, I am going to dive into more knee stability exercises, particularly on this one knee because apparently it is the problem child.
Likes For jade408:
Old 06-25-19, 05:58 AM
Pridedog
Gone Biking!

Bikes: Orbea Gain, Lynskey, Redline Conquest Disc, Bike Friday, Cannnondale T2 Tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
Spinal fusion of 3 vertebrae in lower back in May. After 7 weeks I rode trike for 2 miles yesterday. It is a start.
Likes For Pridedog:
Old 06-25-19, 06:53 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Hyper extended my left wrist during a bike... incident back in February. It's still not 100%. So in honor of that, yesterday I tripped while carrying too much crap, and when I caught myself, I bent the index, middle, and ring fingers back... too far. It's an all too familiar feeling. Here's to 3-4 months of stiff knuckles!
Old 06-25-19, 08:21 AM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Hernia surgery. Nothing to do with cycling.
Likes For Gyro:
Old 06-25-19, 09:32 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
gotta be careful w/ my left shoulder. did something to it 'bout a month ago, had to lay off the weight training for 2 weeks. past cpl weeks seem well enough to lift again
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 06-25-19, 10:01 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Sprained my hand in April, probably cracked a bone too; the pain finally isn't as sharp as it was. Saturday I spent tromping up and down a local forest, fixing trails, and Monday, after my bike ride to work, someone started shoving an ice pick inside my kneecap. No bike today, and precious little walking. Combination of arthritis, weight, and age; nothing to do but wait it out.
Likes For Korina:
Old 06-25-19, 07:15 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Full AC3 separation of my left shoulder. Unreparable, without putting a handful of plates and screws into bones that weren't damaged. (Ortho's didn't want to do more damage drilingl on bones that wer en't broken) It took a solid month of PT, and almost 5 years of strength training to get to the point that i could do the workout i did the morning of the accident. I have to keep at it constantly; weights 3x per week, bodyweight/mobility (like yoga) almost every single day. If i go more than 3 days, I can feel it. A week, and i've got to re-calibrate back about 2 weeks worth of training.

@allout1 If you keep getting hamstring injuries, even with all the time you spend in the weight room, that shows you have a significant imbalance in your legs. Squats and leg presses are cool, but put some time into your hammies, especially if you want to continue with things like cycling and running. Your quads may be the springs, but hamstrings are the shock absorbers.
Sumo Squats, and Reverse Lunges are good, as are a lot of the standing poses in yoga and tai chi, where you have to support your weight with your muscles, not your skeleton.
Focus on form, not speed or power, and you'll feel the difference.
Old 06-25-19, 09:06 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
I’m working my way back from a pulmonary embolism and pneumonia a year ago. Plus, I’m working very hard to get my blood sugar diwn from the diabetic range to the pre-diabetic range. So far, so good on both counts. Blood thinner medication works for the embolism, and losing 35 lbs has allowed me to cut my meds in half and drop the blood sugar levels. Plus, I’m riding faster!
Old 06-25-19, 09:41 PM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 76 Posts
I don’t want to get too specific, but it involved a lot of alcohol and a reverse cowgirl.
Old 06-26-19, 12:21 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Left knee, then right knee, then right ankle, then left ankle.

Old injuries from as far back as 25 to 35 years ago that flare up one at a time whenever they want. Monday night's ride had no pain until the end, then Tuesday night the right ankle flared up.

All kinds of other injuries from the past but they aren't bothering me while riding at the moment.
Old 06-26-19, 01:26 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Broken and separated shoulder from being hit by a car a little over a year ago. Took a long time to recover. Physical therapy the past 7 weeks really helped. Feels like I'm about 95% recovered. Just a few nagging problems. I plan to try a chiropractor or masseuse next.

I'm back to my former best speed, but still have some neck/shoulder discomfort after about 30 continuous miles. Good enough for the local Tuesday and Thursday club rides, but not quite ready for the longer 50+ mile weekend rides.

Hard part now, at age 61, is remembering my age and sticking to the physical ther@pist's (sorry, silly word filter keeps censoring a perfectly good word) plans rather than doing stupid stuff on my own, such as messing with kettlebells when my shoulder joints aren't ready. I've made enough progress the past few weeks that I tend to get a little too enthusiastic. And I need to remember to work the full range of motion gradually, not that herky-jerky stuff I did as a kid trying to show off in the gym.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 06-28-19, 10:39 PM
mightymax

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Heart Valve replacement surgery 16 months ago. Then hernia repaired in the middle of my chest scar 8 months ago, then a hydrocele that developed in this same time frame repaired on Dec. 21st. I was off for vacation during this time and then my dumb @** decided to ride my bike a week after the Hydrocele repair. My Wife told me I should'nt but I was Jonesing for a short ride . Well I stupidly fell off my bike and probably broke ribs and tore muscle on my left side. The same side I had the incisions for the hernia repair! I was soo afraid I had damaged the hernia repair in my chest, but at a later follow up, the Doc assured me I did no damage to his repair.
I was in excruciating pain for weeks and had to hide it from my Wife as I told her I slipped coming down the stairs and pulled a muscle in my side. Went to work in agony for weeks!
To this day she does not know about my fall, but I did tell my Daughter. I still ache when I turn in bed to lay on my left side...

Has not been a great 16 month timeframe. I may not ride as far as I used to before my valve job but I am back on the bike regularly.

Cheers
Max Bryant
Old 06-29-19, 08:04 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Breaking up with a girlfriend .. 31 years ago..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 06-29-19, 07:36 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
You can get over injuries?
Ah you younguns

Old 06-30-19, 09:57 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by hillyman
You can get over injuries?
Ah you younguns
Sure. Just change your technique.

Yesterday my left knee was giving me fits again. So, I'd pedal full strength with my right leg and back off the push with the left.

Made me think of low rpm surging on a 2-stroke street motorcycle.

Good times, good times.
Old 06-30-19, 11:49 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
caught my self falling over at a sudden stop, by putting out my hand, I cracked a bone in my wrist ..

@ 71 I don't bounce as well as I did as a child...

Old 06-30-19, 12:35 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
I’m holding together with duct tape and baling wire.
Old 06-30-19, 12:56 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
caught my self falling over at a sudden stop, by putting out my hand, I cracked a bone in my wrist ..

@ 71 I don't bounce as well as I did as a child...

Yeeouch.
Old 06-30-19, 12:58 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I’m holding together with duct tape and baling wire.
Did ya use Flex Tape so you can cruise on top of shark infested waters?
Old 06-30-19, 05:21 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Almost over the displaced acetabular column fracture and associated dislocated hip from 19 months ago. I stopped doing QUITE enough targeted exercise for the muscles they had to slice to bolt the back of my pelvis back on. Back to one-legged squats and resistance band work to see if I can get the left and right leg closer to balance.

More recently, I ****ered my knee doing a Century in May. It appears to have gone away with rest. I'm calling it 'Spring Knee'.
Old 06-30-19, 06:51 PM
jbell_64

Bikes: Trek fx 7.2, Raleigh Tamland

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I cut my finger while washing dishes today.
Old 07-01-19, 04:35 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
I fell off the road bike yesterday. I pretty much landed with a thud on my back, so not really any rash, maybe a few scratches, but I'm kinda sore today.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.