Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Saddles: size, shape, and saddle "geometry": a discussion

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Saddles: size, shape, and saddle "geometry": a discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-15, 09:30 AM
no sweat
Hardening the F up

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Siena, 29# hard tail Tank

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy

I can ride on the rear of the saddle all the way down on the aero bars, but moving forward opens the hip angle which improves breathing and freshens the nip, as sailors say. Can't stay forward for long though before my equipment warns me to move back. It helps me to rotate my pelvis forward which exposes my sit bones more thus moving my perineum further up off the saddle. This image might explain why that works. I'm apparently moving up onto the pubic tubercle:

As one can see, if the spine is going to be anything like straight and vaguely horizontal, those are what one will be sitting on, either those or soft tissue.
Seeking understanding Comments invited. My own anatomy seems to object pretty strenuously to loads placed on the pubic tubercle. The bone structure doesn't care, but it pinches a lot of sensitive stuff (significant blood vessels, nerves & the back end of the crank, so to speak) between bone and saddle... I'm guessing this is where genital area numbness originates? I think the desire here is to get our support (when rotated forward) on the inferior pubic ramus.
Old 06-19-15, 12:06 PM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by no sweat
I'm guessing this is where genital area numbness originates? I think the desire here is to get our support (when rotated forward) on the inferior pubic ramus.
That's part of it, but some of us get numbness from pressure on the perineum at all, hence cutout saddles. I don't spend a lot of time on my pubic bone, but when I am on it, it's not comfy, even with a cutout. Have you tried a cutout?
Old 06-19-15, 07:20 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Methinks all the ergo and skeletal data are a good place to start but in the end run just that....a good place to start. Everyone's different. Back in the day of the printed word only I trial and error became fond of the Avocet Touring I. Fit and worked well and I still have/use it. Current first new in forever and still kinda getting broken in saddle is a Selle Anatomica NSX....no cut out. Works well for me but I'm sure not for everyone.
Old 06-20-15, 06:55 AM
no sweat
Hardening the F up

Bikes: 02 Litespeed Siena, 29# hard tail Tank

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever
That's part of it, but some of us get numbness from pressure on the perineum at all, hence cutout saddles. I don't spend a lot of time on my pubic bone, but when I am on it, it's not comfy, even with a cutout. Have you tried a cutout?
The basic idea of the cut out is to move the support outboard to the inferior pubic ramus (at least when you are rotated forward). My current saddle has a modest cutout. I probably need a bigger one.
Old 06-20-15, 08:04 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever

My point was "WIDE" Doesn't mean anything unless it's wide in the right place, and that, without reference to the placement of the rails as one important possible parameter, one has no way of knowing what "width" actually means; and that manufacturers could ameliorate some of this confusion by having reference to some standardized language of saddle "geometry." (For instance, as in my first post, my old SMP Lite 209 was the right width, just in the wrong place. When I am at KOPS and properly balanced in all ways, the WIDEST part of the saddle is too far behind the seatpost for me to be sitting on it. Which is a bummer.)

When I run into this situation, I try to move the saddle forward to place the wider part where my sitbones want to be located. Hence they will be more comfortable AND I would be in balance. Sometimes this means I need to try a different seatpost.

I don't see it as a bummer, I see it as a routine problem that has a simple solution.

Follow-on problems might occur - it's possible to move the saddle too far forward, the saddle shape (profile as seen in a plan view) might not allow your thighs enough freedom of motion, vertical angle (tilt) needs adjusting, height needs minor adjusting. This is an iterative process.
Old 06-22-15, 06:23 PM
Wheever

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nick779
I have a feeling the saddle search is going to be a PITA.

Is there any way of knowing whether you need a softer or more firm saddle?
Well, no. Although I think that most people actually prefer something FIRM. Rather than soft or hard. Really, that one of the thing you only learn via real butt testing.
Old 06-22-15, 06:26 PM
Wheever

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nick779
I have a feeling the saddle search is going to be a PITA.

Is there any way of knowing whether you need a softer or more firm saddle?
Well, no. Although I think that most people actually prefer something FIRM. Rather than soft or hard. Really, that one of the thing you only learn via real butt testing.
Old 06-25-15, 09:55 PM
TrillTrax

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! This thread is really interesting and helpful. Thanks!
Old 07-06-15, 12:36 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
When considering sit bone width and saddle width, you have to bear in mind that the width of the sit bones varies depending on the height of the handlebar relative to saddle. If you lower the handlebar, your pelvis tilts forward and a narrower part of the sit bones comes into contact with the saddle. That's why saddles for upright riding are wide, and saddles for aggressive riding are narrow.
Old 02-11-18, 10:19 PM
dairyseb

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you are so damn right

I want to say thank you for all the data you are providing trough this post.

I'm in the same exact situation as you are for saddle width. The difference with my fit is that I have a really long inseam (94 inch) so I need to raise my saddle so high that it brings it to far back even if i'm using a zero setback seatpost.

I was hesitating between the italia max slr and power saddle but local bike shop around me have ****ty service and poor saddle program.

I want to thank you again for you contribution!

Current saddle is romin evo 143 and specialized henge 155 on a CAAD 12 60cm (should have got an 63 cm)
Old 02-11-18, 10:31 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by dairyseb
I want to say thank you for all the data you are providing trough this post.

I'm in the same exact situation as you are for saddle width. The difference with my fit is that I have a really long inseam (94 inch) so I need to raise my saddle so high that it brings it to far back even if i'm using a zero setback seatpost.

I was hesitating between the italia max slr and power saddle but local bike shop around me have ****ty service and poor saddle program.

I want to thank you again for you contribution!

Current saddle is romin evo 143 and specialized henge 155 on a CAAD 12 60cm (should have got an 63 cm)
If you have long legs you should have more set back than someone with short legs. Any effort to decrease set back out of proportion to your legs is going to make your pelvis tilt forward too far and make finding a comfortable saddle much harder.
Old 02-12-18, 09:56 AM
dairyseb

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
If you have long legs you should have more set back than someone with short legs. Any effort to decrease set back out of proportion to your legs is going to make your pelvis tilt forward too far and make finding a comfortable saddle much harder.
The thing is that with a setback seatpost to get a good position relatively to my bottom bracket I need to be on the smaller part of my saddle which is really uncomfortable.
Old 02-12-18, 12:16 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by dairyseb
The thing is that with a setback seatpost to get a good position relatively to my bottom bracket I need to be on the smaller part of my saddle which is really uncomfortable.
I understand, but the point I was making is that a "normal" fit on a road bike and relative your your bottom bracket would likely have you sitting further back than you are now, and that would work with a seat that is further back.

It just sounds like you are sitting on the saddle nose or using a zero set back seat post because that's the only way to reach the handlebars. In an ideal fit you would be sitting in the correct place on the saddle, the saddle would be in a normal spot on a 25mm set back seat post and the handlebars would be close enough to the saddle for that to work.

The position you are using likely rotates your pelvis forward, causing increased pressure on the perineum and shifts your center of gravity toward the handlebars, causing you to put more weight on your hands.

Set back is proportional to leg length, so somebody with a 30" inseam might have 3cm of set back and someone with a 45" inseam should have 6cm of set back, not a similar set back. I could certainly be completely wrong, or you might have a bike with a very relaxed seat tube angle, but I have not seen anyone who's proportions make it that they need a zero set back seat post to locate the pelvis along a desirable angled line from the BB.

Last edited by Kontact; 02-12-18 at 12:20 PM.