Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best ride break meal?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best ride break meal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-18, 03:03 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Best mid-ride meal I've ever had was on the 2007 Paris-Brest-Paris.

We had DNF'd at 400 km because of the weather, had taken a train back to a certain point, and were riding from there. We rolled into a control which was serving a meal that has stood out in my mind ever since:

Mashed potatoes topped with melted cheese and dill pickles on the side.

Heaven!!
Old 07-25-18, 03:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by DanBraden
Oh sure, just enable my worst impulses!
Enable, hell! Monetize! Health beer could be the new giant of the beverage industry. Just have to convince the FDA.
Old 07-25-18, 03:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Heretic! No dog is better than a Chicago dog.
I used to believe as you do, but I have been to RI! Go to Boston and turn right.
Old 07-25-18, 10:46 AM
washed up

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
Taco Bell
Old 07-25-18, 11:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by washed up
Taco Bell

Wow, that's some serious hunger!
Old 07-25-18, 11:15 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Best?

British Pub lunch & a Pint.... while touring there..

Better, probably, France..

Here, Fresh caught Fish, &Chips, are very nice , we have some great restaurants ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-25-18 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-25-18, 11:31 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Mashed potatoes topped with melted cheese and dill pickles on the side.
I finished lunch about 1 hr. ago. You have now made me hungry again. I love pickles and cheese.
Old 07-25-18, 11:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Forgot about last year's tour. During a 75 mile day fully loaded with very few services along the way I stopped at a place called the Hungry Bear Steak House on the recommendation of a state forest ranger. The fish and chips with an ample vessel of tartar sauce and fries were terrific.
Old 07-25-18, 11:51 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Believe it or not, Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup. Some 175 miles into a 400k (250 mile) ride, I was hurting bad. It had been a long, hot, steep, hot, long, tiring, hot day. Needed salt, and water, and carbs, and couldn't stomach even looking at anything inside that well-stocked convenience store. A fellow rider talked me into getting a bowl of soup and microwaving it. 15 minutes later, I was ready to ride!
This. Early this summer I burned through most of my left-from-winter stock of canned soup in post ride meals - didn't matter if it was hot out, it still felt like the right thing to replace what was missing.

Yet to try it on a ride, but come to think of it most of my stops are at convenience stores that probably do have the single serve microwaveable soup cups and a microwave. Might have to give that a try next time, say at the gas station mart I'd hit around 5pm.

Tried a slice of pizza at lunch on my 80 miler a few weeks back, in interest of time asked them not to heat it. Enjoyed it, but regretted the settled grease some. Still, after riding it's great - in the many of my rides that have been one way trips with train return, I always hope I get to the end with enough time before the train to stop by the pizza place and get a chicken roll for the ride back - the time I rolled up, checked the board and saw the train was due in 3 minutes did get me home sooner, but felt cheated of the whole experience.

Funny thing about the pizza lunch - I half decided I didn't want to park my sweaty bike shorts on their wooden chairs, but also the air conditioned indoor environment just felt so odd with my body in all-day-ride mode that even though it was rather hot I preferred to head back outside to their outdoor seating. (And while I'm off topic, I learned quickly to bring dry clothes and a wool hat for that train ride, in order to survive the AC.)

Now if only the commuter train sold soup...
Old 07-25-18, 03:37 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
and here i thought you lived across the pond in Englandville.
huh.

Casey's is located in my town, and is hit in most all long rides in the country.
all gravel roads around here lead to a Casey's.
Don't let the username fool you, England was just my second home for a while.
Old 07-25-18, 05:42 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Casey's pizza is disgusting.
Old 07-25-18, 06:17 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I don't know.

To each his own but the last thing I would want to have on a ride is beer.
Old 07-25-18, 06:51 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
I don't really ride far enough to need a full meal during the ride. Usually just do a coffee stop. Favorites are Angell cafe in Sharon, MA or Borealis coffee right on the east bay bike path in Rhode island.

Best snack ever was shaved Hawaiian ice on the shining sea bike path on cape cod. It was 95 degrees that day. Lemon/lime really hit the spot.
Old 07-26-18, 03:22 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
When I lived in Manitoba, perogies were very welcome in the middle of a randonnee.
Old 07-26-18, 11:21 AM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I don't know.

Man, there's something about a cold, strong, Belgian trippel and a big bowl of moule frites that sounds just about right almost anytime...

I know that "buzzed riding is drunk riding" but gosh do I tend to get deep in my cups and, in truth, I often regret it as the fatigue sets in. If I bring adequate hydration, however, I can stem the worst of it and it CAN be pleasant, but sometimes I forget and then it's misery...
Old 07-26-18, 07:51 PM
Whib

Bikes: Giant Fathom 1, Giant Escape Disc 1, Co-op ADV 2.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Just today, after a few single track and gravelly hours, I pulled aside to recoup the dregs of my pantry: an avocado that had bounced ala spin cycle in my saddle bag, an expired sleeve of salty Planters peanuts, a cookie of some European and buttery origin, a squeeze pack of baby food (no worries, I left one behind for junior), and, alas, a pint of IPA from Fat Bottom brewery ... I admit, in the sock-footed confines of your own kitchen, these are all side cars (well, except for the beer, of course), but whilst panting and muddy, spent and sweaty, perched atop a set of limestone cliffs overlooking the Tennessee River: ‘twas a meal fit for a king.
Old 07-26-18, 07:58 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 410 Posts
McDonald's. A double cheeseburger, fries, and a large cola, enjoyed slowly. It's tasty, cheap, and easy to find. I would ride from Miami to South Bay, about 100km each way, or sometimes up to Clewiston, both places had fast food restaurants. Long rides need fat, sugar, and carbs, and in the summer, a lot of salt. McDonald's is a good place to get it.
Old 07-27-18, 05:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by UniChris
This. Early this summer I burned through most of my left-from-winter stock of canned soup in post ride meals - didn't matter if it was hot out, it still felt like the right thing to replace what was missing.

Yet to try it on a ride, but come to think of it most of my stops are at convenience stores that probably do have the single serve microwaveable soup cups and a microwave. Might have to give that a try next time, say at the gas station mart I'd hit around 5pm.

Tried a slice of pizza at lunch on my 80 miler a few weeks back, in interest of time asked them not to heat it. Enjoyed it, but regretted the settled grease some. Still, after riding it's great - in the many of my rides that have been one way trips with train return, I always hope I get to the end with enough time before the train to stop by the pizza place and get a chicken roll for the ride back - the time I rolled up, checked the board and saw the train was due in 3 minutes did get me home sooner, but felt cheated of the whole experience.

Funny thing about the pizza lunch - I half decided I didn't want to park my sweaty bike shorts on their wooden chairs, but also the air conditioned indoor environment just felt so odd with my body in all-day-ride mode that even though it was rather hot I preferred to head back outside to their outdoor seating. (And while I'm off topic, I learned quickly to bring dry clothes and a wool hat for that train ride, in order to survive the AC.)

Now if only the commuter train sold soup...
I love soup during and after a ride, but I go big. The giant bowl of pho at a Vietnamese restaurant is so perfect, it makes me happy. Noodles, salt, water, some meat, and mung bean sprouts, perfect! And if you're carb starved, the Vietnamese iced tea will pick you right up.
Old 07-27-18, 05:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Whib
Just today, after a few single track and gravelly hours, I pulled aside to recoup the dregs of my pantry: an avocado that had bounced ala spin cycle in my saddle bag, an expired sleeve of salty Planters peanuts, a cookie of some European and buttery origin, a squeeze pack of baby food (no worries, I left one behind for junior), and, alas, a pint of IPA from Fat Bottom brewery ... I admit, in the sock-footed confines of your own kitchen, these are all side cars (well, except for the beer, of course), but whilst panting and muddy, spent and sweaty, perched atop a set of limestone cliffs overlooking the Tennessee River: ‘twas a meal fit for a king.
You win for most interesting packed meal!
What's hilarious about that is that in any other context that would be disgusting, but in that context is just great! The closest I came to that is stopping for coffee, a cookie and borsht. I love borscht, cookies are good, but eating them together just wouldn't happen in any other meal.
Old 07-27-18, 01:40 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Sunkist orange soda from a can.

A girl I had met wanted to bike to this bike race. I was a bit late. She had a poor sense of how much time it took to get there. So we ended up biking all out as fast as possible for 2 hours to get there before the race ended. We get there and I don't have anything to eat or drink, but some guy is selling pop out of a cooler. It's amazing how your brain and body turn up the taste and flavor of mundane things when your body is feeling like "oh god I desperately need some sugar and calories I'm dying here" and you get them...
Old 07-27-18, 02:03 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I don't know.

I don't think I would, either, but it would really taste good after the ride.
Old 07-27-18, 07:20 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream. Even carry a titanium spoon for such emergencies.

Old 07-27-18, 08:04 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
pbj sandwich (sometimes with a banana), chips and sprite
Old 07-28-18, 04:08 PM
Whib

Bikes: Giant Fathom 1, Giant Escape Disc 1, Co-op ADV 2.3

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I don't know.

Agree, totally, with “to each his own.” My father had that motto tattooed across the back saddlebag of his 1988 Tour Glide Classic ... and I can also say that the last thing that would ever be the last thing I’d want would be a beer. ;-)

Last edited by Whib; 07-28-18 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-28-18, 04:27 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
Fresh orange juice, it just satisfies a craving after a long ride. With lots of miles to go its anything fried - chicken, hamburgers are a staple. Some of the best fried chicken I've had has been out of supermarket delis.
The best fried chicken I remember was riding the Owens Valley (east side of the Sierra Nevada Mtns in California) and stopping at the Vons supermarket in the town of Bishop, getting a 1/2 lb of fried chicken legs, a pint of cole slaw, and a liter of ice tea/lemonade mix . . .yummy!
Hamburgers - not McDonalds or other chain fast-food shops, but from restaurants or independent hamburger chains. They're usually made with fresher ingredients and juicier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.