Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Everyday Carry

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-18, 08:09 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Until his bike breaks.

Luck is a suitable substitute up to the moment it runs out.

-Tim-

Enjoy your riding and I hope that like mine, your fixed bike never breaks...
Old 11-06-18, 08:23 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2639 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
For the record I carry flat repair stuff, multi tool (w chain breaker and spoke wrench), KMC quick chain links and zip ties on every ride. I never need to use any of that stuff outside of flat repair, but I have it because it's worth not getting stranded. I'm not advocating not being prepared, sorry if I came off that way.

I'm just saying this is a weird thing to get worked up about. Also @DrIsotope if you've used all that in the last 30 days I'd say that's bad luck. I know you ride a lot.
Old 11-06-18, 08:29 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Self-induced bad luck, if anything. Hit a driveway lip on a bike that I had just changed the bars on a few days before, and whoop, there they went-- not enough carbon paste, so my fault, not the driveway's. Got a rock stuck between the cleat and the pedal, when I rotated to unclip, it turned the cleat about 5º, so my heel was stickin' out. And any time I go to a new saddle, the mini-adjustments are frequent for at least a few weeks-- and this particular saddle is noseless, so I was effectively starting from scratch. So I've just made it a habit to have a convenient tool at hand whenever I'm on a bike.
Old 11-06-18, 08:31 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2639 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Self-induced bad luck, if anything. Hit a driveway lip on a bike that I had just changed the bars on a few days before, and whoop, there they went-- not enough carbon paste, so my fault, not the driveway's. Got a rock stuck between the cleat and the pedal, when I rotated to unclip, it turned the cleat about 5º, so my heel was stickin' out. And any time I go to a new saddle, the mini-adjustments are frequent for at least a few weeks-- and this particular saddle is noseless, so I was effectively starting from scratch. So I've just made it a habit to have a convenient tool at hand whenever I'm on a bike.
Hey when it rains it pours sometimes, so I agree you gotta have that stuff that just collects dust most of the time anyway.
Old 11-06-18, 12:45 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
If I wasn't already familiar with the typical posts on here, I might be surprised by the number of people who purportedly ride bikes, but have never needed to adjust a handlebar, raise or lower a seatpost, or even tighten a cleat on a shoe-- ever, even once, while riding.

On the other hand, I've done all of those things in the past 30 days.
unless you’re channeling Merckx, or maybe on a long tour, why would you need to be adjusting your seat post or handlebars while out in a ride? That’s the sort of stuff that should be dialed in before riding isn’t it? If we’re talking about MTB, then I can concede, you may need to make those kinds of adjustments. I haven’t changed the set of my saddle, seat post or handlebars on my daily rider since it was built. I don’t ride with clipless myself, so I don’t have that issue. Maybe I’m weird, but I just don’t need to do these sort of things regularly enough to warrant worrying about it. I know a spot of bad luck can happen at any time, but reading through this, it feels like a lot of folks are doing a whole lot of roadside adjusting and repairing.
Old 11-06-18, 01:02 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
My experience is that a new seatpost and/or saddle on an existing bike, or seatpost and saddle setup on a new bike almost always requires dialing in on the road.

1 mm difference in angle or height can mean the difference between comfort and pain. Often this can only be felt when one is warmed up after riding a while.

Adjusting steatpost height, saddle fore/aft position or angle is part of the shakedown ride ritual for me. A 4 mm wrench and a 1 hour ride through the subdivisions is SOP for NBD.

My Niner was really, really close but required a tweak to saddle tilt for optimum testicular comfort.

-Tim-
Old 11-06-18, 03:02 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Try going from a traditional saddle to tensioned leather, or from anything to noseless. I've had the ISM on there for just over 800 miles now (about 6 weeks) and I'm still moving it back and forth, up and down, fiddling with the tilt. It's such a strange sensation from the outset (completely different bones being used) combined with a different upper body position-- sometimes I'll be 40-50 miles into a ride before I decide I want to make an adjustment.

I use a Torqkey for anything carbon, but potholes and pavement lips don't care about torque values. Sometimes, I hit something just wrong enough that the bars rotate down a bit. It's nice to be able to reset that, rather than finish the ride with wonky bars.
Old 11-06-18, 07:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
I use a Torqkey for anything carbon, but potholes and pavement lips don't care about torque values. Sometimes, I hit something just wrong enough that the bars rotate down a bit. It's nice to be able to reset that, rather than finish the ride with wonky bars.
Better wonky bars than wonka bars those might just melt and then you won't be able to ride home at all! Thank you thank you, I will see myself out!
Old 11-06-18, 08:41 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddylee01
Hi everyone,
Just wanted some thoughts on some EDC stuff i am buying
i'm about to start a longer commute (still short by regular standards ~8 miles) than expected and decided on some of these based off reviews and stuff;

BLITZU Gator 320 USB Rechargeable Bike Light
Continental 60mm Presta Valve Tube x1 (budget constraints)
Topeak Road Morph G Bike Pump with Gauge

as for a patch kit and levers
my local shop has some cannondales levers and some regular patch kits

budget is not too big
if there are any other suggestions
they are most welcome
That's a pretty good pump. I have the Mini Morph and have used it for ten years, sometimes several times a ride.

One tube is enough.

Pick up one of those cheap little adhesive patch kids found at the counter in any bike store. It contains six little translucent patches that just stick on. They don't last forever, but they'll get you home. It's a shame to use your only spare tube and then get another puncture a mile down the road. Those adhesive kits are insurance. I always use a new tube as my first flat fix, and then patches for subsequent. ...and frankly I don't bother using permanent patches on tubes. I guess I should.

Tire levers: Pick up two or three of the blue ones at any bike store's front counter. I have always carried two, but after breaking one a few months back I've started carrying a spare.

If everything else on your bike is dialed in and you're never too far from civilization, you don't really have to have a multi-tool. I've stopped carrying mine because I only used it when I was making adjustments... and for those infrequent occasions I can just bring it along as needed.