Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

machining hubs

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

machining hubs

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-08, 07:56 AM
JAk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
machining hubs

Machining loose bearing hubs for fixed bearings. Is this ever possible?
JAK
Old 08-06-08, 09:34 AM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Looking at my 105 hubs,there isn't enough material to do that.
Old 08-06-08, 09:57 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Even if it could be done (and I agree with Booger1 that it probably can't) the cost would make it unattractive compared to just buying the hubs you want to begin with. Also, what's wrong with cup-and-cone bearings? They have their own advantages.
Old 08-07-08, 05:31 AM
JAk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Even if it could be done (and I agree with Booger1 that it probably can't) the cost would make it unattractive compared to just buying the hubs you want to begin with. Also, what's wrong with cup-and-cone bearings? They have their own advantages.
I'm getting a set of little used vintage Trek 610 wheels and I thought I might find a way to do something with my old ones, perhaps just to experiment.

Yes, cup and cone is fine.

JAK
Old 08-07-08, 05:39 AM
FlatFender

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JAk
I'm getting a set of little used vintage Trek 610 wheels and I thought I might find a way to do something with my old ones, perhaps just to experiment.

Yes, cup and cone is fine.

JAK
If you have a lathe, and know how to use it, I say give it a try!
Old 08-07-08, 10:07 AM
Booger1

First you'll have to get the old race out of the hub,no easy task.You can cut it out on the lathe,if you have some diamond tooling laying around.HSS/Carbide will not cut a bearing race.If you have a toolpost grinder,you can grind it out,give yourself plenty of time,because your going to be there awhile grinding them out.Then once you get it out without distroying it,remember,you only have one shot at this,then you will have to find a bearing that will fit.I don't think any of the normal bike hub bearings will work,you'll have to cut the pocket too deep and it will break through the hub on the backside of the bearing.If you can find bearings that are shallow enough,I think you can make it work.I'm sure you can find a needle bearing set that would work but then you would have to make axles/sleeve for them to ride on.

Your going to need some measuring tools that can read in 10,000ths so you can get the bearing crush correct(sealed bearing) or clearance(needle bearings).

If you use needle bearings,you'll get to practice your metallergy skills with making axles/sleeves.You'll have to make them out out material you can harden at home with a torch when your done grinding them.

If you decide to give it a try,don't forget to cut a radius in the back of the bearing bore,you don't want any stress cracks from a sharp edge.

I've been a machinist for longer than I care to remember,I'm thrifty(cheap),retired(bored) and know what I'm doing(experienced) and I still won't do it...But don't let me stop you.I've done worse things than that!!

Last edited by Booger1; 08-07-08 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-07-08, 10:52 AM
dwood
Keeping A Low Profile

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Sport [1998], Dahon Speed P8 2007, 1994 Diamond Back Ascent and a couple of Schwinn Stingrays [one boys, one girls] from circa 1977.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Booger1
First you'll have to get the old race out of the hub,no easy task.You can cut it out on the lathe,if you have some diamond tooling laying around.HSS/Carbide will not cut a bearing race.!!

While the above statement is true . . . there is a very easy way to remove steel races from 'any' hub. No lathe or special tooling needed.

All it takes is a welder, TIG welder being the most controllable. Clean out all of the grease from the bearing and hub. Run a nice hot bead on the race surface where the balls roll. Let it cool normally. The race will shrink and you can usually turn the hub upside down and the race will fall out. This causes no damage to the hub itself.

Done it a million times!

DON
Old 08-07-08, 11:18 AM
Booger1

Duh!!!I pull seats out of aluminum heads all day like that,good call.Doesn't work on everything,but it works most of the time.

I just took for granted that the races were shrunk into the hubs,there's not much material there,but maybe not.If it is a straight press,it will work great!It IS worth a try though,by far the best way to take them out.

Last edited by Booger1; 08-07-08 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-07-08, 11:32 AM
tellyho
Your mom

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why bother? Repack and ride.
Old 08-07-08, 01:13 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by JAk
Machining loose bearing hubs for fixed bearings. Is this ever possible?
JAK
Sure it is, if you've got a lathe and are stubborn enough. I've got an XT hub that nowadays takes a stock 30 mm cartridge bearing on the NDS side. As I remember it, the dia for the pressed in cup was something like 29.4, so strength wise it wasn't much of an issue with the removed material.