Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Why suddenly the body size change?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-02, 03:38 AM
mike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This may seem like a stupid question, but here goes.

This year, perhaps mostly in the past six months, I noticed my legs and hips getting bigger - maybe even stronger.

I noticed mostly because my pants are getting tighter in the thighs and hips.

Now, this sounds so typical, I know (who's laughing aready?), but here is the deal; I am not riding any more than in previous years, and I don't THINK I am gaining fat. Well, who knows, maybe I am gaining fat, but when I ask my wife "do you think I'm getting fat?", she just says "no, honey". Hmm, where did she learn that one?

Anyway, if it isn't fat or gristle, that would mean I might be gaining more muscle (which seems to be the case)- but WHY would that be if I have not been training any more than before? Of course, I have have been bicycle commuting full time for years and MAYBE I am putting on more miles without noticing, but it couldn't be that significant of a change.

Is this just part of getting older, or could it be something else? After years of bicycling, can your body suddenly kick in and say, "time for more mass, let's bulk up"?

Last edited by mike; 02-16-02 at 03:43 AM.
Old 02-16-02, 07:35 AM
velocipedio
human

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Teramo, 2000 Marinoni Leggero, 2001 Kona Major Jake (with Campy Centaur), 1997 Specialized S-Works M2, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are so many variables... are you taking longer or hilly-er rides? Are you pushing bigger gears? Have your eating habits chnaged even slightly? A nutritionist once told me the best way to tell if weight gain is fat or muscle: If you gain it around your waist and you have to loosen your belt, it's fat. This only works for men, BTW...

The Irregular Cycling Club of Montreal
Cycling irregularly since 2002
Old 02-16-02, 09:22 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Mike. Just yesterday I was heading towards the coast and the headwinds were fierce. Anyway on flats I felt I was actually sprinting. Would gain and sustain 10 mph in seconds, it really felt great. Sprinting increases the " twitch muscles," I have read.
Over the years I have cycled I have lost about 42 pounds.
Point is, Last year my wet suit I use for diving was fine. This year I have a awful time getting in on over my thighs. Can hardly zip it up from the hip area , but over my waist it is the same fit. My thighs have gained about 4 inches since I bought the weight suit.
If i were to loose additional weight, could I loose it still in the thighs? So if I am successfully sprinting and yes, I am doing lots more hills in preparation for my Nevada tour.
So do I have to buy another wet suit.?
Old 02-16-02, 09:26 AM
cyclezealot

Second point to Mike. I bike because I would like to be 'thin,' in part. I said I have lost 42 pounds. So if I say I have not lost enough weight, guess you would have to subtract muscle weight from effected areas?
Old 02-16-02, 11:42 AM
mike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
cyclezealot's comment about wind makes me think...

If anything, I would say that it has become a lot more windy here than it was in past years. I do remember several years ago I had to get off my bike and walk due to the heavy headwind. The flags were standing straight out and shaking violently.

These days, it is even windier more often. The wind patterns here are pretty consistant and I usually have to ride straight into the wind going to work. Now, I can bike right into the wind at reasonable speed. Maybe that has something to do with it.

velocipedio's comment about "where" the size increase is located is interesting. Mostly, it is my thighs and even my butt. Maybe my waist is a little bigger, but not so much. Kinda like I can button the pants, but not zip them. Can you call that "getting booty? Is that a good thing or a bad thing for hetrosexual males?
Old 02-17-02, 09:51 AM
cyclezealot

Mike. Other than having to buy another expensive wet suit, I would prefer to be a strong cyclist without massive thighs. Seems -do the mountains you will get massive thighs and have no recourse but.
Seems have seen some really strong climbers without massive thighs.??
I like exercise that makes you thin, but love cycling so much, guess will have to tolerate whatever it does to myself. I know I flop my legs over my wife at night, she complains they are too heavy. In fact she says she will not bike because she does not want the large thighs we see on some of my female cyclist friends.
About gaining 'booty' have to ask the females. Some comments by females about male cyclists- I have seen on this forum; would make me think male cyclists' legs would enhance the sex life of males in the female world.
Gaul, the wet suit I bought over a year ago cost over $300.
Old 02-18-02, 06:19 PM
poptart

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by cyclezealot
I know I flop my legs over my wife at night, she complains they are too heavy. In fact she says she will not bike because she does not want the large thighs we see on some of my female cyclist friends.
Interesting. I *used* to think the same thing as a runner. Let her know that studies have been conducted and female collegiate cyclists tend to have the healthiest body images. Hmmm... I guess that's a good benchmark for women... "how did you know when you were a *real* cyclist?" "when i got excited and happy when my thighs measured larger!". Too bad that your wife is letting media images of what is "feminine" keep her from enjoying one of the greatest sports on earth, eh? Whenever i glimpse some poor scrawny super-model on the cover of a magazine i think "gawd, NO muscle tone!"

About gaining 'booty' have to ask the females. Some comments by females about male cyclists- I have seen on this forum; would make me think male cyclists' legs would enhance the sex life of males in the female world.

Oh yes! I was an art major. I've seen many naked bodies. I have to say that the athletic male is still the finest example of human-being-ness(Michelangelo couldnt be wrong, huh?). Gotta love the way the vastus medialis bulges out over the patella on a well-formed cycling leg!

As long as your tummy is flat, don't worry a bit about that increase in butt/thigh girth!
Old 02-19-02, 01:30 AM
cyclezealot

Other than buying expensive clothing that become obsolete, not ashamed of what cycling has done for we cyclists. Seem often common to hear cyclists reflect on awesomeness of stong limbs.
Maybe some women fear what athletic prowess might do for the average male cyclist on the 'meat market.'
When I lived in Florida I belonged to a track club. We had one older member who was in great shape and lived in an older mobile park inhabitated by female widows.
Seems like he was about 60 plus and you would think him to be at least 10 years younger. Physique maybe even 30 years younger. His major complaint, hope I can be left alone tonight, I am too tired. Also, is it increased VO makes the older male more durable.?
Old 02-20-02, 08:54 PM
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mike and Cyclezealot--

Yesterday I put my legs on the cat and she screamed, "Get those tree trunks offa me, ya stupid moron!"

Time to get a non-English speaking cat.

Old 02-23-02, 08:57 AM
Road Warrior

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As was stated previously many factors are invoved. Have you changed you diet? Are you taking any supplements? Have you changed your riding habits or gears ratios to chaallenge yourself? Any one or all of these factors can account for the change. Also men and women both go through several cycling stages as they age (not to say your'e old) the body changes metobolic rates every 5 to 7 years. Since you've been cycling maybe your body has undergone one of these cycles hence the tautness in the hip and thigh area.I've done extensive reading in the area of sports medicine, physiology and nutrition.This is where I came across these findings. Keep up the good work! Peace & Good Health, Jeannie
Old 02-23-02, 10:37 AM
Greg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by poptart
Gotta love the way the vastus medialis bulges out over the patella on a well-formed cycling leg!
Let me remind you, poptart, that this is a family oriented web site!

Mike, this troubleshooting works for me.
1. Remove all old unwanted receits from wallet.
2. Are you wearing flannel "winter" boxers? If so change to thinner fabric style.
3. Bribe wife into shaving your thighs and buttock.
4. Bind thighs tightly with ace bandages when not in use.
5. Refrain from drinking liquids of any type.
6. Are you wearing pants from your high school era thinking that getting rid of them will suddenly age you? If so, grow up.
7. Buy loose fitting jeans.

I hope this helps.

Old 02-26-02, 01:57 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Since body-building requires resistive exercises which work muscles at about 80 percent of capacity, I would think that one would develop thicker thighs and buttocks by pushing high gears than by spinning.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-26-02, 02:49 PM
JonR
Carfree since '82. Grrr!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mike, have you been noticing that a trip to the library, say, that used to take ten minutes, now takes two hours or more?

Your freewheel cluster or cassette may be slipping, and you're effectively going nowhere fast--and overtraining....
Old 02-28-02, 06:21 AM
mike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by Greg

Let me remind you, poptart, that this is a family oriented web site!

Mike, this troubleshooting works for me.
1. Remove all old unwanted receits from wallet.
2. Are you wearing flannel "winter" boxers? If so change to thinner fabric style.
3. Bribe wife into shaving your thighs and buttock.
4. Bind thighs tightly with ace bandages when not in use.
5. Refrain from drinking liquids of any type.
6. Are you wearing pants from your high school era thinking that getting rid of them will suddenly age you? If so, grow up.
7. Buy loose fitting jeans.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, Greg, I needed this one. This is rich! I'm still laughing.
Old 03-21-02, 08:05 PM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
but here is the deal; I am not riding any more than in previous years, and I don't THINK I am gaining fat. Well, who knows, maybe I am gaining fat, but when I ask my wife "do you think I'm getting fat?", she just says "no, honey". Hmm, where did she learn that one?
Mike,

as someone else said, there are lots of variables... here's my guess...

if you haven't been riding more and you haven't been doing any other special training like weight training or more hills or lots of big gears, then i would guess 1 of 2 things:
1) your body is changing b/c of age and you have gained BOTH fat and muscle in your legs although they're probably not stronger if you have been training less than previously
2) you ganied fat in you legs --- let's say your legs before were well-trained and strong and almost all muscle - now if you did less exercise the last 4-6 months or so, some of that muscle will gradually be converted into fat (the body thinks the muscle isn't necessary b/c you don't use it and b/c of evolutionary reasons fat storage is very important to increase survival)

** it just seems unlikely that you would gain a noticeable amount of muscle if you're training your muscles less than before - and if it's not muscle, then it's fat

if you reduce your amount of exercise you need to also decrease your caloric intake (i.e. how much you eat) ---- many people get fat b/c they continue eating the same amount of food they did when the did lots of sports and the body needed all those calories...

i would say don't stress about this, but you should probably consider either
1) resuming more riding or more activity, or
2) reducing your caloric intake a little so that the small fat gain remains a small fat gain

also the body's metabolism gradually slows with age - usually for men somewhere between 18 and 23 it slows considerably - for me it was about 25 -- at 18 i weighed 135lbs at 6'1" and couldn't gain weight no matter what i tried - now at 31, i am 170lbs and do about the same amount of activity and don't eat much more than i did at 18 despite the fact that i have more muscle mass to sustain -- b/c my natural metabolism slowed
Old 03-22-02, 05:56 PM
mike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks EVERYBODY for the good words of advice and encouragement.

As it turns out, when I first started this thread, I only had gas.

I'm better now. No more bloating.