Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2009 Rocky Mountain Burrows on closeout - opinions?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

2009 Rocky Mountain Burrows on closeout - opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-09, 11:18 PM
cleanupinaisle3
.;/.,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2009 Rocky Mountain Boroughs on closeout - opinions?

[Edit] I know, I accidentally typed "Burrows"... hopefully the edit changes it soon.

Anyone ridden one of these before? The bikeshop is a healthy distance away. Since I'd be riding the bike home I'd have to subway it over there, and I don't feel like buying tokens. But if it's worth it...

Anyways, my current SE Lager just screams steal me, and I was hoping to turn it into a trickbike anyways, so I was thinking of waiting til the spring to build up an Iro Mark V or something similarly low-key, but this just appeared on my radar. It's normally $1000+ for some reason, but is on closeout for $500 sans pedals, which seems decent to me.

The specs:

https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...8871&Type=bike

I've heard these frames can take a beating, which is good because I'll be abusing it. I like the Deda bars, the actually decent wheelset for an off-the-peg bike (Formulas laced to DA22s running on Zaffiros) and the fact that the decals are removable.

Unfortunately, it's a weird yellowy-green colour. If it was something dark and low-key, I'd pitch for it in a second.

But has anyone ridden one before? Even though it's a commuter I was looking for something with a twitchier, track geometry, and just from photos it looks like it has a longer wheelbase, more roady sort of feel (but the picture might be a smaller frame). Is $500 (CDN) a steal that I should hop on, or would I be happier building up an Iro V? (I'd probably want to save some cash on that and use the old R500 wheelset I pulled off my Lager).

Any input appreciated. Cheers.
Old 11-12-09, 12:30 AM
LupinIII

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm not sure it would be much of a change from a lager
Old 11-12-09, 01:26 AM
avisualperson

Bikes: black magic stripper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dude, for 500 that is a great bike. I rode a 2007 (or maybe 2008, the all black one) for a little while, borrowing from a friend. he has never had to replace a single part on that thing, and only got armadillos for the rear at some point after a flat. the bike itself is super solid, reliable and feels worry-free. I'd snatch it up if I were you; he got his on closeout also but for more expensive than what you got it for. if you don't buy it (or if they have multiples in stock, let me know). in NYC they only have it at sid's but last I checked, it wasn't on sale.