Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Hwy 39 - Closed Indefinitely ...for us too?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-09, 12:49 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts

Has anyone climbed up the San Gabriel Canyon Road (Hwy 39) to Angeles Crest?
The road on the other side of this blockade (which looks laughably easy to traverse) looks pretty tasty.
Old 12-01-09, 02:37 PM
bigtempo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is closed to all major vehicle traffic, but you can bike form this point on. I have seen some people with keys to the gate get in there and drive, but I believe there are cabins up there and those people have access. Crystal Lake is closed to everyone, so don't even try going in there.

It's not laughable to me, I believe there is a 10% stretch up some switchbacks there. It get steeper up there. The last portion before Hwy 2 does ease off a bit.
Old 12-01-09, 03:25 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Originally Posted by bigtempo
It is closed to all major vehicle traffic, but you can bike form this point on. I have seen some people with keys to the gate get in there and drive, but I believe there are cabins up there and those people have access. Crystal Lake is closed to everyone, so don't even try going in there.

It's not laughable to me, I believe there is a 10% stretch up some switchbacks there. It get steeper up there. The last portion before Hwy 2 does ease off a bit.
Good to know, thank you! Which part is not laughable to you? The steepness of the climb or riding on the closed road? Any idea what the fine would be for riding on the road? I'm thinking it would be neat to make a loop out of riding up the deserted 39, then down Angeles Crest when I'll be in fewer people's way and my speed will be closer to the traffic's.

I used to ride up to Crystal Lake all the time when I was younger. One morning a crotch-rocketeer buzzed me pretty close, but later on up the mountain I saw him sitting in a police car and there was no motorcycle anywhere. I stopped to throw a piece of red plastic out of the middle of the road and the policeman interrupted me with his loudspeaker: "Leave the evidence in place please!!"
Old 12-01-09, 05:24 PM
Lardoggie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Chris,

Obie was up that way on Hwy 2 just yesterday checking out the fire damage and taking pics. He posted them on the other socal bike forum. Awesome job! You got some strong constitution!

Hey Ob, how about putin' en here too?

We and some others had made the loop up hwy 2 and down 39 just a couple wks before the fires. Is it too late to do it now or if it stays nice can we make itstill this year?

If so lets make arrangements to do it again or at least climb 39
Old 12-01-09, 10:04 PM
dolophonic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can ride up there,no one stopped me the last few times i went up.
Its a great climb. Now Hwy 2 is open i will be able to do one of my favorite loops.. it just wont be the same with all the fire destruction. It was so beautiful up above Newvcombs in the forest.
Old 12-02-09, 10:33 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Originally Posted by Lardoggie
We and some others had made the loop up hwy 2 and down 39 just a couple wks before the fires. Is it too late to do it now or if it stays nice can we make itstill this year?

If so lets make arrangements to do it again or at least climb 39
I'm on board. How about up the 39 and down Angeles Crest next weekend, (Dec 12th)?

I assume the climbage is >7000 feet?
Old 12-02-09, 08:56 PM
obie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lardoggie
Hey Ob, how about putin' en here too?
I turned back at 5000' - there was black ice covering both sides of road and the wind picked up. A lot of ash flying in some places. There's still a good number of crews working up there and it's single-lane only in some spots - expect delays, waited 10 mins. a couple times before they let us go through. It's a bit gnarly in places...plenty of loose scree piling up along with ash/dirt. I brought the CX bike. Temps were around 40 at 5000' and dropping fast with the wind.

Have fun.
Old 12-02-09, 11:02 PM
rallison

Bikes: Scattante R-560 w/ Velocity Deep V rims

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thinking about doing 39 tomorrow. Anyone go up recently? How were the conditions?
Old 12-03-09, 08:07 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Some of us went up 39 to Dawson Saddle about a month ago. Conditions were perfect but a little cold in the shade on Dawson, probably too icy now to go to the summit. There was a dickhead in a big white Ford truck inside the gate on 39 who buzzed us while he was coming down. You know, cross the center line and pretend like he was going to hit us head-on. He did this to at least 3 groups of riders who I asked.