Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-16, 08:09 AM
gycho77

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dunderhi
Actually, I think a better reply would have been: "I'm not a Master. So I will just get the a silver chain." Pros get their stuff for free, whereas Masters tend to have more money than sense. For example, I have two bikes with the Izumi V and I have another new Izumi V waiting for the next bike that I build. I'm definitely not a Pro.
haha that's funny.
I cannot wait to see yout next bike
Old 03-26-16, 08:46 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
I think a lot of people who are VERY SERIOUS about bike racing - who travel for races, who train a year in advance, etc - sometimes go for value over quality with bike parts.

People like me.

I figure, I spend enough time and money on bike racing as it is. I can go with used wheels, aluminum frames, and mid-level parts. I'm not sacrificing any performance, and I'm just saving up my money for travel, big races, and any equipment crises that inevitably arise.
Old 03-26-16, 10:04 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
In Japan one of the pros shamed me for using the Izumi V. He said, "why do you use that? Because it's gold?", then showed me the FULL GARBAGE CAN of chain take-off from the other pros– all the much cheaper $15 black/blue HKK chain. "The only difference is the color, save your money".

I'm of the opinion that because we change our chains fairly frequently to avoid prematurely wearing-out our pretty expensive chainrings and cogs, that the chain does not need to have crazy expensive coatings on it. I just get the $15-20 chain, and change it often.
Old 03-26-16, 10:49 AM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
In Japan one of the pros shamed me for using the Izumi V. He said, "why do you use that? Because it's gold?", then showed me the FULL GARBAGE CAN of chain take-off from the other pros– all the much cheaper $15 black/blue HKK chain. "The only difference is the color, save your money".

I'm of the opinion that because we change our chains fairly frequently to avoid prematurely wearing-out our pretty expensive chainrings and cogs, that the chain does not need to have crazy expensive coatings on it. I just get the $15-20 chain, and change it often.
If that is the case, why even bother with expensive chainrings? There are plenty of cheap($25-$40) chainring options. If one wants to stay in the $15-20 chain price point, then drop down to 130bcd, where the same $40 gets you a crankset and a chainring. Just sayin.
Old 03-26-16, 11:03 AM
dunderhi

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
I think a lot of people who are VERY SERIOUS about bike racing - who travel for races, who train a year in advance, etc - sometimes go for value over quality with bike parts.

People like me.

I figure, I spend enough time and money on bike racing as it is. I can go with used wheels, aluminum frames, and mid-level parts. I'm not sacrificing any performance, and I'm just saving up my money for travel, big races, and any equipment crises that inevitably arise.
I don't think one needs to be VERY SERIOUS about bike racing to go for value over quality. My point was that Masters tend to have a lot more disposable income than our 25yr old elite counterparts. Many of us Masters had left cycling to pursue our careers and now that we've gotten older we are returning to cycling, we no longer need to bum parts off of our teammates or scrimp and save to get enough for our next race entry fee. I actually turned a net profit my last year of VERY SERIOUS bike racing, but today cycling is a major money pit for me (although, not as bad as my car habit). This doesn't mean I'm going to stop anytime soon. Heck, I'm still making payments on my stay-at-the-track-every-weekend motorhome. That sounds at least like a kinda serious commitment to me.
Old 03-26-16, 12:12 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

^oh, i agree - i was just also re-interpreting the notion that elite riders have (or need) the creme de la creme.
Old 03-26-16, 01:00 PM
MarkWW

Bikes: A little of each

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I think the 112 vs 100 link info is an error on the KMC site. I'm looking at both chains right here and the box is marked 100 links on each.

I generally use the Ti-Nitride coated chain because it is supposed to last a little longer, too. Plus, I like a little flair. How often does everybody replace their chain, anyhow?
Old 03-26-16, 01:31 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Better off with cheap chains and TiNi coated rings and cogs.
Old 03-26-16, 04:14 PM
wens

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I change my chain before the season starts. Since I basically don't train on that bike, and it never sees bad weather, it's probably massive overkill, but track chains are cheap.
Old 03-26-16, 05:03 PM
dunderhi

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wens
I change my chain before the season starts. Since I basically don't train on that bike, and it never sees bad weather, it's probably massive overkill, but track chains are cheap.
So basically our chain costs are about the same, since I would expect 3-4 seasons out of an Izumi V.
Old 03-26-16, 05:16 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
Better off with cheap chains and TiNi coated rings and cogs.
I agree - Ti-nitride is for wear protection. It would be better applied to aluminum chain rings.
Old 03-28-16, 05:09 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

I recall either a spreadsheet going around the internet, or a web app, for calculating power needed to ride a target pursuit time. It's not the pursuit schedule calculator that calculates splits. Instead, you put in your known 5min power and the pursuit time you rode, and it calculates your Cda. Then, based on that, you can enter a target pursuit time and it will calculate the power output you need in order to hit that time.

does this ring a bell? can you point me toward it?
Old 03-28-16, 05:13 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
I recall either a spreadsheet going around the internet, or a web app, for calculating power needed to ride a target pursuit time. It's not the pursuit schedule calculator that calculates splits. Instead, you put in your known 5min power and the pursuit time you rode, and it calculates your Cda. Then, based on that, you can enter a target pursuit time and it will calculate the power output you need in order to hit that time.

I don't recall. Maybe ask that Track Enduro FB group?
Old 03-28-16, 07:10 PM
dunderhi

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I think the punch line is I don't know, but his face rings a bell.

freewebs.com/trainwithpower/CdA-Crr.xls
Old 03-29-16, 05:35 AM
wens

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not sure it's what you're thinking of, but this has that info (for an indoor wooden track with fast tires):
Alex's Cycle Blog: Individual Pursuit - What Makes us Faster?
Old 03-29-16, 07:23 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

I think the punch line is I don't know, but his face rings a bell.

freewebs.com/trainwithpower/CdA-Crr.xls
Thanks! This wasn't what I was thinking of, but it's interesting and I'm looking forward to playing around with it.

I actually found what I was looking for, and the embarrassing thing is that it was a spreadsheet that I made based on a Coggan chart I found associating W/CDA ratios to pursuit times for 2k, 3k, and 4k distances. From there it's easy to put in your power, get your cda, and then pick your target time and produce the power required to hit your target time.

Some aero testing can also help make reductions in cda...
Old 04-01-16, 01:59 PM
Banchad

Bikes: Planet X Pro Carbon, Dolan FXE, Fuji Transonic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I've just discovered that Pro-Lite do track frames. Has anyone got any opinions/experience on them?
Old 04-01-16, 08:34 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
I believe the Pro-lite frames are the typical open mold stuff, just branded in their black and white colourway. I'd put them on the same level as the Planet X stuff as far as quality goes.
Old 04-02-16, 07:37 PM
Huskey
Great at turning left

Bikes: BT Stealth

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Whats everyones thoughts on using a srm head unit to track speed/cad/hr without using a powermeter?
A few people in my club do this, im not sure if its for the "I have an srm" bragging rights or if they actually utilize the information recorded.
Ive got a cheapo cateye that i use for current speed when warming up or training juniours and max speed for when im doing efforts, but i do like the idea of being able to see how fast i got to that speed, how long i held it for, if it was a few second peak before dropping down a few ks
I think a power meter would be awesome, but well out of my price range, the headunit is still pricey and im not sure it would be worth the cost....
Old 04-02-16, 11:30 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Not sure if having a PC7 is enough for bragging rights... Other suitable options to record such data would be a Garmin etc, as long as you have it running off sensors and not GPS.
Old 04-03-16, 02:36 AM
Muddlfuc

Bikes: BMC RM01, Focus Izarco, Inexa track, KHS SS MTB

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the PC7 does have a few advantages over the Garmins, they record in .5sec samples. that just gives you a better resolution info.
Not that important in most enduro situations, Good for sprinters...
you also dont have to stuff around with turning off GPS... (only cause I'm lazy)
Old 04-03-16, 10:59 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Huskey
Whats everyones thoughts on using a srm head unit to track speed/cad/hr without using a powermeter?
A few people in my club do this, im not sure if its for the "I have an srm" bragging rights or if they actually utilize the information recorded.
Ive got a cheapo cateye that i use for current speed when warming up or training juniours and max speed for when im doing efforts, but i do like the idea of being able to see how fast i got to that speed, how long i held it for, if it was a few second peak before dropping down a few ks
I think a power meter would be awesome, but well out of my price range, the headunit is still pricey and im not sure it would be worth the cost....
I did it for years. I've used SRM PowerControl 7 without power meter cranks and the data was wonderful. It records every 0.5s. Before that I had a Garmin 500. It only recorded every second, and you had to manually turn off GPS all the time.
Old 04-09-16, 03:55 PM
dunderhi

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gycho77
haha that's funny.
I cannot wait to see your next bike
I finally decided. I just ordered a No. 22 Little Wing with bronze anodization. They currently have a 6-8 week build time, so hopefully I'll have it built up before the N.E. masters regionals at the beginning of July.
Old 04-09-16, 04:57 PM
gycho77

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I finally decided. I just ordered a No. 22 Little Wing with bronze anodization. They currently have a 6-8 week build time, so hopefully I'll have it built up before the N.E. masters regionals at the beginning of July.
Is it going to be street geometry or track geometry?
Also I can't wait to hear review of the titanium frame, because I was interested in titanium track frames(Triton-Custom titanium frame builder)
Old 04-09-16, 06:01 PM
dunderhi

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gycho77
Is it going to be street geometry or track geometry?
Also I can't wait to hear review of the titanium frame, because I was interested in titanium track frames(Triton-Custom titanium frame builder)
I would say it is old-school track geometry: Short stays, medium-high BB, and 74 degree angles, but with tall head tube and moderate length top tube. Basically the same measurements as my 40 yr old Paramount, which works for me.

Nice video: Little Wing

Last edited by dunderhi; 04-09-16 at 06:43 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.