Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

A few newbie questions about tires

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-14, 02:57 PM
Guz2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been riding for years but I've only just begun maintaining my bikes myself, so forgive me if any of these questions seem obvious.

Basically I have a 1985 Schwinn Voyageur touring bike. When I got it the tyres were extremely old and completely useless so I decided to order a set of Schwalbe tires online to replace them. However, I realised that I would need inner tubes too. My understanding is that the inner tube goes inside the tyre and basically just holds air. However, I tried to take the old tires off the bike - I didn't manage it because I didn't have the right tools, but it looked as if the tires already on the bike were made up of just one part, i.e. there was no inner tube and outer tire, just one combined piece. Is this simply a different kind of tire, or is it possible that they're actually made up of two different parts and will come apart once they're off the wheel? Secondly, will my new tires - with their separate inner tubes - fit alright on these wheels?

The Schwinn still has its original wheels, which are Wolber Super Champion Modele 58s, 27" by 1.25".
Old 08-12-14, 03:05 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
What happens over time is the tube fuses to the original tire, making it look like they were manufactured as a unit. Your bike had separate tubes and tires, and that's what you'll need to replace them. Check the rim tape, it's probably getting a little crispy...that's the ribbon of material running inside the rim to protect the tube from the spoke holes. Replace with 27" rim tape of the correct width, it just costs a few bucks and it may save you a few flat tires.
Old 08-12-14, 05:45 PM
Guz2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, thanks for the help!
Old 08-12-14, 08:15 PM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hang on, maybe he has tubulars.

Guz, there is a type of tire that is a combined tube and tire. It is called a tubular. To mount it to the rim they use glue.

Nowadays tubulars are rarely used for enthusiast bikes. The pros use them instead. It is unlikely that they were original equipment on a Schwinn Voyager, but who knows what the previous owner may have done. So don't be surprised if the old tires you take off can't be separated into tire and tube. They may have fused, but they may never have been two different parts in the first place.

However, the wheels for tubulars are different from the wheels for clinchers (the two part tire system). See this wikipedia article for pictures of the different types. You can't convert one to the other. Let us know what you find.

Keep asking questions!

Dennis

- Will Rogers
Old 08-12-14, 09:26 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by DMF

Guz, there is a type of tire that is a combined tube and tire. It is called a tubular. To mount it to the rim they use glue.

Dennis
That was my thought until I got to this part:

"... The Schwinn still has its original wheels, which are Wolber Super Champion Modele 58s, 27" by 1.25". ..."

A mid level touring bike is not likely to have tubulars.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 08-12-14 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-13-14, 05:08 AM
Guz2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMF

Nowadays tubulars are rarely used for enthusiast bikes. The pros use them instead. It is unlikely that they were original equipment on a Schwinn Voyager, but who knows what the previous owner may have done. So don't be surprised if the old tires you take off can't be separated into tire and tube. They may have fused, but they may never have been two different parts in the first place.

However, the wheels for tubulars are different from the wheels for clinchers (the two part tire system). See this wikipedia article for pictures of the different types. You can't convert one to the other. Let us know what you find.

Keep asking questions!

Dennis
Thanks for the help. My understanding is that clincher rims have a sort of 'lip', I guess you could call it, going around the inside of the rim where the tyre sits, whereas tubular rims in most cases have a shallower groove and no 'lip'. I've just looked at my bike's rims and they look like they have this lip, so I'm assuming I need clinchers. Is all that correct?
Old 08-13-14, 08:20 AM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Guz2
Thanks for the help. My understanding is that clincher rims have a sort of 'lip', I guess you could call it, going around the inside of the rim where the tyre sits, whereas tubular rims in most cases have a shallower groove and no 'lip'. I've just looked at my bike's rims and they look like they have this lip, so I'm assuming I need clinchers. Is all that correct?
Yes, that's correct. You need clincher tires, in 27" diameter.

FrenchFit had it correct when he said that the old tubes and tires fused together. I've seen that when removing original tires on old bikes. You could probably pull the old tubes out of the old tires if you yanked hard enough.

With new tires, cable tension, and some chain lube, that Voyageur should be a comfy, classic ride.
Old 08-13-14, 08:56 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Panaracer Pasela 27"x1-1/8" or 27"x1-1/4" get my vote. Comfy, look nice, and roll well compared to the alternatives.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-13-14, 09:33 AM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yea, missed the bit about the original wheels.

Guz, run your fingers under the lips to be sure that they are clean and no part of the old tire broke off. Clinchers are pretty difficult to screw up. Once you have mounted a pair your confidence level will have increased enormously and you'll be ready for a field fix to a flat. (Hint: Always carry a spare tube with you.)

Good riding!

Dennis

- Will Rogers