Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Bianchi Project 3 Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-14, 11:36 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Bianchi Project 3 Hybrid

Okay, so the list price is clearly too high. What would be legit number for this one? Not looking to flip; it'll be a rider. Link to ad below.

Celeste green Bianchi from the Early 90's I guess. Frame size is 53

Front and rear Derailer Shimano LX
Chainrings biopace
Shimano Thumb shifters
Dia comp XCE levers (Short Stop)
Seat is a classic serfas reactive gel with springs!
Crank Shimano FC-MC60 175 length This is the 90's version.
Frame is Tange Infinity double butted chromoly Super Set 2
Frame size: 53
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 12-14-14, 10:14 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Good morning, sorry I forgot to reply last night. The frame is a '96 but it looks like most if not all of the parts are swapped out/upgraded. I never road it off road much but I love my '93 Project 3 with the same Tange Infinity frame. It makes a great commuter, early season trainer, grocery getter, and all arounder.

I am thinking maybe closer to $250ish, it isn't original and how knows what abuse the parts saw before being installed. It came with STX RC derailleurs, Alivio gripshift, brakes and hubs with a Sugino Impel crank.

BTW you know the Project series were real MTBs yes? The few times I had mine off road it went anywhere my Fisher HK2 or Cammondale M500 (I think) would go.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-14-14, 10:22 AM
jr59

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
That bike was one of the first 29ers
Old 12-14-14, 10:24 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
I agree with BG, low to mid $200's. Good luck!
Old 12-14-14, 07:43 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Thanks for the input, all. And yes, I had read something about these being the "original 29ers," but marketing the dang things was a nightmare. Sometimes it's rough being ahead of your time I suppose.

EDIT: So here's something I just thought of. Given that this is built on pure MTB geometry, a 53cm frame is going to have one heckofa long top tube, isn't it? I mean, my road bike is 53cm. Is this a really big bike?
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera

Last edited by Fahrenheit531; 12-14-14 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Add a question.
Old 12-14-14, 08:26 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
I am likely wrong here but the catalog says these are sized in inches. So this could be a 21" frame which would have a standover of 32", and TT of 58.5cm. I normally ride a 59 road bike but I bought a 19.5 which has a stand over of 31" as opposed the normal 33ish on my road bikes. A 19.5 26" wheeled bike would be a bit small but this fits pretty good because of the bigger wheels.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 12-14-14, 11:30 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I am likely wrong here but the catalog says these are sized in inches. So this could be a 21" frame which would have a standover of 32", and TT of 58.5cm. I normally ride a 59 road bike but I bought a 19.5 which has a stand over of 31" as opposed the normal 33ish on my road bikes. A 19.5 26" wheeled bike would be a bit small but this fits pretty good because of the bigger wheels.
... And add another 2-3" reach (minimum) for that stem and it's definitely a torture device for me. I like a more compact cockpit. Interesting bike though; maybe I'll come across a smaller one somewhere down the line.
Old 12-14-14, 11:48 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I'd use some imagination in trying to market it. This bike would work well for someone looking for a gravel grinder or an offroad touring bike. Those are hot categories and this would be a great way for someone to build up a bike inexpensively for these uses.
Old 01-08-15, 09:35 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

So I ended up buying this one. Well actually my wife's cousin ended up buying it. Checked it out and all is in order and she fell in love immediately. Deore LX all around in excellent condition. Barely a scratch on the frame except for eyelets and the Bianchi decal on one side. I was totally surprised by the fit. Expected a longer top tube and everything all stretched out, but that wasn't the case at all. Shoulda bought this one for myself (cf. No good deed goes unpunished. ). Bars, stem, and skewers are clearly non-original. I'm not 100% on the rest.

Out the door price at $250. The tires can't have more than 100 miles on them, and even the cables are fairly new; my only real jobs are a co-op saddle, new chain, and the usual grease.

@Bianchigirll -- I dunno if this is a '96. All the pics I see of that one have the blue Bianchi decals; this one has silver. Any ideas?

EDIT: And it's LUGGED Tange Infinity MTB, double-butted. Unexpected and nice.

Last edited by Fahrenheit531; 01-08-15 at 09:39 AM.