Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Parking In or Around DC

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Parking In or Around DC

Old 05-18-15, 05:05 AM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
Parking In or Around DC

We will be taking the train to Pittsburgh in a couple of weeks for our ride of the GAP/C&O. Anyone have suggestions on where to leave my car in the DC area?
Old 05-18-15, 08:53 AM
gorshkov

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by capejohn
We will be taking the train to Pittsburgh in a couple of weeks for our ride of the GAP/C&O. Anyone have suggestions on where to leave my car in the DC area?
If you're on warmshowers, you might contact some hosts there and ask if you can park your car at their house. I've done that on a short loop tour before.
Old 05-18-15, 09:15 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts

what's your budget?

union station has long-term parking for around $25/day. ouch.

i think bwi airport is cheaper, like 2/3 less, but not so convenient.

why not contact some of the hotels in town. they usually offer some
long-term parking at cheaper rates.

Last edited by saddlesores; 05-18-15 at 09:17 AM. Reason: the voices in my head....
Old 05-18-15, 09:26 AM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
Check the commuter lots at the ends of the Metro runs. Depending on the time of day (non-rush hour) you can transport your bike on the Metro train to Union Station.
Old 05-18-15, 06:51 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I remember someone saying they left their car at Great Falls park. I think you pay the annual fee, which isn't that much, and let them know how long you'll be gone. Could be an urban myth, but worth a try. Give them a call. You would then have about an 18 mile ride to the train station.

Last edited by alan s; 05-18-15 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-18-15, 08:17 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Probably too late to change your plans but it is a lot easier finding a place to park on the Pittsburgh end like my house. There is also the police station in Mckeesport, the parking lot in Boston, parking lot at the pump house. All free. Plus I would bet a lot of hotels would let you park here if you stayed your first and last night.

Be sure to check out this city while you are here. You should not miss Bicycle Heaven.

Try to find a warmshowers host in DC or why not just rent a car for the trip to DC or just drive here? A lot better than getting in at midnight.

Let me know if you need help at the Pittsburgh end like a lift back from the airport etc. And we even have a bike trail right from the airport.

Last edited by spinnaker; 05-18-15 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-18-15, 10:27 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd leave it at a metro stop like Shady Grove or White Flint metro.

I'm about 45 minutes outside of DC (Frederick, MD area) and the tow path goes pretty close to my place. If you're interested, you could leave it here and I could pick you up in DC to run you back to your vehicle.
Old 05-19-15, 04:53 AM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
We parked at Great Falls National Park for a few days when we rode the C&O. It was a few years ago, but I recall that we had to pay the entrance fee (of course) but that the long-term parking was free. We had to tell them we were overnight parking and they made a note of our vehicle's info and told us to park in a certain section.

Otherwise, I'd park at Reagan National Airport or at Union Station garage to be safe, although both will cost you a bit. Union Station is $24/for 24 hours (Union Station :: Washington, DC :: Parking Information). I wouldn't be too keen to leave my car at a Metro lot for a few days.

Have you looked at these pages? The C&O Canal Bicycling Guide - Parking and Access Points and Great Allegheny Passage - www.gaptrail.org
Old 05-19-15, 06:15 AM
capejohn

Originally Posted by iconicflux

I'm about 45 minutes outside of DC (Frederick, MD area) and the tow path goes pretty close to my place. If you're interested, you could leave it here and I could pick you up in DC to run you back to your vehicle.
Thanks so much for this offer. We may take you up on it. I'm going to discuss everything with my son, who lives in Austin, on Wednesday and we'll finalize our plans.

Can we put our bike on the train from either of those stations?

Last edited by capejohn; 05-19-15 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-19-15, 07:51 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You could park in front of my house or even in the driveway if you want. I'm about 10 miles from the trailhead, but it's rideable on a bike.
Old 05-19-15, 08:39 AM
wanderquest

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What an awesome community. It's amazing to see people offering space at their home so that you are able to park your car for free. Admirable group of individuals. If I were you, I'd definitely go a route like that. However, if where you want to be is not near any of their locations, I'd take a second to check out Washington DC Parking | Find DC Parking with SpotHero They offer discounted parking and are scattered all over the city. Dependent on where you're staying, either would be a tremendous option.
Old 05-19-15, 10:52 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,135 Times in 1,440 Posts
Originally Posted by iconicflux
Careful. Only three of the stations allow overnight parking.

You can search DC metro overnight parking to find which ones
Old 05-19-15, 11:34 AM
KennyT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being a DC resident I can get you a parking pass for my parking zone. It's street parking but it's free. I am in zone 6 so you can park in the neighborhood right next to Union Station if you like. I am about 1 mile from Union Station and 5.3 miles to the C&O.
It might not be as secure as being in a garage but it's an option.
Old 05-19-15, 02:47 PM
alan s 

I will pay for your parking at Union Station, throw in a free car detailing, and free professional massages for you and your friend after your trip. Then you will be picked up by a limo for sightseeing and dinner out at a reasonably priced restaurant of your choosing.
Old 05-19-15, 02:58 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hold on here while I take advantage of alan's offer.. :-P
Old 05-20-15, 09:56 AM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by KennyT
Being a DC resident I can get you a parking pass for my parking zone. It's street parking but it's free. I am in zone 6 so you can park in the neighborhood right next to Union Station if you like. I am about 1 mile from Union Station and 5.3 miles to the C&O.
Nice offer, but I'd be careful with an out of state plate. See Out-of-State Vehicle Owners Can Be Out of Luck on D.C.'s Zoned Streets
Old 05-20-15, 12:21 PM
alan s 

Kind of off topic, but bring along insect repellent. The mosquitos are larger and and more vicious than normal this year. I stopped the other day at a H/B site, was immediately swarmed, and had to keeping riding to escape them. Probably killed 20 in a minute, but they just kept coming.
Old 05-20-15, 01:22 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by briwasson
Nice offer, but I'd be careful with an out of state plate. See Out-of-State Vehicle Owners Can Be Out of Luck on D.C.'s Zoned Streets
That article is describing a different situation from what KennyT is offering. As a DC resident, KennyT can get a visitor's temporary parking pass which can be used to park in KennyT's zone. The article, OTOH, is describing folks who were living in DC and were parking on DC's relatively few unzoned streets for over 30 days without registering their car. KennyT's offer should work OK.
Old 05-21-15, 04:58 AM
capejohn

I sent you a private message.
Old 05-21-15, 05:03 AM
capejohn

Originally Posted by alan s
I will pay for your parking at Union Station, throw in a free car detailing, and free professional massages for you and your friend after your trip. Then you will be picked up by a limo for sightseeing and dinner out at a reasonably priced restaurant of your choosing.
Have you planned your Cape Cod trip yet? If I'm back from my tour, I can show you around the Cape by bike. There is a great route along the beaches from Bourne to Woods Hole and back. Or the Cape Cod canal, both sides and both bridges.
Old 05-21-15, 07:26 AM
alan s 

Have you planned your Cape Cod trip yet? If I'm back from my tour, I can show you around the Cape by bike. There is a great route along the beaches from Bourne to Woods Hole and back. Or the Cape Cod canal, both sides and both bridges.
I'll be up there the week of June 15. PM me if you are around. I will be riding from Woods Hole across the Bourne Bridge to Myles Standish, so would be interested in your route.
Old 05-21-15, 08:10 AM
capejohn

Originally Posted by alan s
I'll be up there the week of June 15. PM me if you are around. I will be riding from Woods Hole across the Bourne Bridge to Myles Standish, so would be interested in your route.
I'm definitely around that week. Our club even has the route arrowed from Woods Hole to the bridge for you.
Old 05-21-15, 09:07 AM
KennyT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I received your private message but being a "Newbie" I can't send you one back. I did try the email you provided but it got kicked back. I tried again and added the letter a (which appeared to be missing) and I think it went through. If not, send me another message and double check your email address.
Sorry I can't provide you with the hospitality that my neighbor Alan can It would be fun to come off the canal all muddy and stinking and jump in a limo to check the sights. I would recommend Komi as your post tour reasonably priced dinner. Would fit well with the limo ride and the muddy shorts.
Old 05-21-15, 09:56 AM
capejohn

I received your private message but being a "Newbie" I can't send you one back. I did try the email you provided but it got kicked back. I tried again and added the letter a (which appeared to be missing) and I think it went through. If not, send me another message and double check your email address.
Sorry I can't provide you with the hospitality that my neighbor Alan can It would be fun to come off the canal all muddy and stinking and jump in a limo to check the sights. I would recommend Komi as your post tour reasonably priced dinner. Would fit well with the limo ride and the muddy shorts.
Thanks Kenny: To send a private message. Click capejohn over to the left. A window will open and click "private message".

The post tour dinner sounds like a plan. If it works out and you want to join us, it's on me. My address is in your private message folder.

If anyone wants to follow us it will be on Crazyguyand my midnightrider site

Last edited by capejohn; 05-26-15 at 05:30 AM.