Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Masked Bandit Lushes

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Masked Bandit Lushes

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-15, 08:57 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Masked Bandit Lushes

So I went camping with the family this past weekend and brought along alcohol for several alcohol stoves that I built figuring that I'd test them all. I didn't quite get to that like I was hoping for. You see, I left my Ortlieb Ultimate 6 with the graduated fuel bottle w/ denatured alcohol in it figuring that there was nothing some animal would want. In the morning my bag was turned over and I couldn't find the alcohol bottle. I finally found it way off in the bushes. Apparently, I was quite wrong...

Damn masked bandit lushes got me!

Sooo.. has anyone other than me had this happen? What the heck is up with them stealing my alcohol bottle?
Does anyone know of an alcohol bottle that wouldn't be so easy to bite through?

Should I switch to Heet so I know if they did that once they probably wont a second time?

Thanks,
Kevin

(Hope that damn masked bandit woke up with a massive hangover.)
Attached Images
Old 05-25-15, 10:05 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Would be unfortunate for family to get stuck w/o way to prepare camp food but story sorta funny I must say. At least, hopefully, the critter didn't tear up a pannier. Perhaps enviro authorities should require alcohol stove users to carry non-denatured so the critters don't get sick while indulging. Seriously, maybe an aluminum bottle would prevent smaller animals from biting thru while still being pretty light.
Old 05-25-15, 10:24 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
Masked Bandit Lushes

I reckon the bandits have learnt there might be food or drink inside any plastic container, even closed panniers... So they steal and bite through

Bear Vault...
Old 05-25-15, 10:25 PM
auldgeunquers

Bikes: various strays, mongrels, and old junk.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ha! Raccoons! Ha ha!

I swear the only thing proof against them is a good keyed padlock - 'cause I think they would get a combination lock open before daybreak.

Just be sure that you wear that key on a chain while you sleep.

Last edited by auldgeunquers; 05-25-15 at 10:26 PM. Reason: expanded
Old 05-26-15, 12:20 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
I use an old aluminum bottle I got free from some volunteer gig I did. It holds about a quart of alcohol. I've heard that alcohol can degrade some metal containers, but I've never had a problem.
Old 05-26-15, 05:42 AM
jargo432

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Ogre, Steamroller

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
msr fuel bottle
Old 05-26-15, 06:25 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Or Sigg Fuel Bottles..
Old 05-26-15, 06:59 AM
auxym

Bikes: 1988ish Norco Bigfoot SS, 2013 Opus Largo touring bike, 2004 Brodie Omega MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jargo432
msr fuel bottle
They even make them with push+twist child resistant caps, if you're afraid the 'coons would learn to untwist a regular cap.
Old 05-26-15, 07:15 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
They're going for the bottle moreso than the contents. Yellow-bottle HEET is good for alcohol stoves but unlikely to make a difference in attractiveness to the raccoons. Skip red-bottle HEET though, the isopropyl doesn't burn as well as methanol or ethanol.

Best solution is hang the fuel bottle with your food bag when camping. (or use a bear vault if you're in an area where those are a better solution)
Old 05-26-15, 08:34 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
I have camped a lot where raccoons were a problem and none ever bothered my yellow heet bottles.

I do have one pannier with a zipper pocket that apparently smells attractive to them. I don't keep food in it but they have unzipped it and dumped the contents on the ground many times. The funny thing is that about half the time they zip it back up after emptying it!
Old 05-26-15, 08:37 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Sigg Aluminum bottles were the standard choice for petroleum based fuels back when stoves had their own dedicated fuel tanks. But now that stove makers use the storage bottles as their fuel tank, every stove maker also sells fuel bottles too. The old Sigg bottles were lighter but not designed for pumping up the pressure in the bottles.

If you want to measure, carry a separate plastic measuring cup. And get a pour spout for the tank.

I do not know if alcohol in the Aluminum water bottles that have an interior coating would dissolve the coating which could mess up your fuel. But if not those bottles may be lighter than the bottles designed for pressurized stoves. If any of those bottles are anodized instead of a plastic interior coating, that should not degrade your fuel and should be reasonably light weight.
Old 05-26-15, 09:13 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I use a kleen kanteen stainless steel bottle, well marked.
Old 05-26-15, 10:53 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Staeph, the zipping back up part, now that's funny. Doesn't really surprise me but still funny.

I never leave any bags out, panniers or whatever just because I wouldn't want any chew hole surprises from mice etc in the morning. I've mentioned this before but have had a dry bag hanging from a fair ways up get small holes chewed in it, so am very wary.
Old 05-26-15, 11:00 AM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed. It was late and I wasn't thinking about it because apparently I'm less careful when car camping. Next time I wont be forgetting. Personally, I'm thankful the top came open and spilled out the contents just so they didn't chew on the bag. :-D

I've had animals chew packs before and it has always been the squirrels that seem to be the culprits more than mice. Raccoons I've had open packs up and just empty things out. I've seen bears tear open a pack to chew on a dirty mess kit but that was obviously something very large--plus we saw it later after it followed us for 50 miles.

Looks like I'm going to be switching to HEET. I figure they're probably smart enough to recognize the bottles.

Thanks,
Kevin
Originally Posted by djb
Staeph, the zipping back up part, now that's funny. Doesn't really surprise me but still funny.

I never leave any bags out, panniers or whatever just because I wouldn't want any chew hole surprises from mice etc in the morning. I've mentioned this before but have had a dry bag hanging from a fair ways up get small holes chewed in it, so am very wary.
Old 05-26-15, 12:11 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
The little buggers got into my wife's bento bag on her top tube, unzipped it and made off with a bag of M&M's.

However, they forgot to zip it back up

Old 05-27-15, 01:42 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heh.. I <3 the stories about how good they are at getting into things.