Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Nothing Like A "War-Zone" Out There At All...

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 03-03-19, 11:26 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts

...but you coulda fooled me last night. And I bike to work on this exact stretch of road every day. In a city where 50% of motorists are legally drunk any given day and time (according to a study done in the 1980s). So just imagine during the biggest Mardi Gras weekend, after a night parade, what the situation is like in this Hell hole. I would NOT be out on a bike for certain.

2 dead, 6 hurt after car hits them in New Orleans; witness describes driver as 'blind drunk'

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...d03348d3c.html

“It could just happen to anyone,” Kane said. “It’s really scary.”

Nope. I was home watching TV with my wife. I have some sense. 99.99% of motorists had been drinking at that time, I would bet my next paycheck on this. Would be safer running with the bulls.

"In Louisiana, we drink and drive. It's cultural," said Kenneth Trull, deputy director of the Louisiana Highway Safety Commission,

https://www.nola.com/crime/2012/10/d...he_roof_b.html

Last edited by JoeyBike; 03-03-19 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-03-19, 12:13 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,822 Posts
Maybe you should visit an actual war zone. pretty sure, when actually fighting a war, you don't have the option of staying home with the wife to watch TV.

Maybe Syria? When a barrel-bomb hits your apartment, i don't think your bike will be a primary concern.

Maybe stop trying to convince people that your obvious hyperbole was in fact actual?
Old 03-03-19, 12:16 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Maybe you should visit an actual war zone. pretty sure, when actually fighting a war, you don't have the option of staying home with the wife to watch TV.
I wouldn't be a soldier silly. I would be home trying my best to not become needless collateral damage, just like I do now.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 03-03-19 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-03-19, 12:52 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
...but you coulda fooled me last night. And I bike to work on this exact stretch of road every day. In a city where 50% of motorists are legally drunk any given day and time (according to a study done in the 1980s). So just imagine during the biggest Mardi Gras weekend, after a night parade, what the situation is like in this Hell hole. I would NOT be out on a bike for certain.

2 dead, 6 hurt after car hits them in New Orleans; witness describes driver as 'blind drunk'

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...d03348d3c.html

“It could just happen to anyone,” Kane said. “It’s really scary.”

Nope. I was home watching TV with my wife. I have some sense. 99.99% of motorists had been drinking at that time, I would bet my next paycheck on this. Would be safer running with the bulls.

"In Louisiana, we drink and drive. It's cultural," said Kenneth Trull, deputy director of the Louisiana Highway Safety Commission,

https://www.nola.com/crime/2012/10/d...he_roof_b.html
According to a story that I've read earlier today, the accused is a cops son.
Old 03-03-19, 12:57 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I wouldn't be a soldier silly. I would be home trying my best to not become needless collateral damage, just like I do now.
Joey,

That is VERY insulting to ALL of us Vets. Serving one's country is a very noble thing to do.
Old 03-03-19, 01:06 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Much as I hate to prevent conflict ... JoeyBike, doesn't mean it is silly to be a soldier. He was calling me "silly." He is merely saying he would not want to be a soldier.

I have great respect for vets, but like, JoeyBike, I opted not to enlist. Too tough a path for me.

He also ignores that in most wars, most casualties are civilians. Whatever.

In one post in one thread quite a while ago he claimed that biking in New Orleans was like being in a war zone. A lot of people took exception because the comparison was so overblown. it was just a passing comment but a lot of us latched onto it as a sign that JoeyBike was getting too deep into exaggeration and self-pity and ridiculousness (he has a long history of excellent, informative, well-reasoned posts prior to that---and several since.)

He meant no disrespect to people who have chosen or been called to serve. Or ... well, he can say so for himself, if I am wrong. But I do not want any misunderstandings here.
Old 03-03-19, 01:09 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
Joey,

That is VERY insulting to ALL of us Vets. Serving one's country is a very noble thing to do.
So is it shameful to be a civilian? Or do military people only concern themselves with serving other service people? Somebody has to stay home and sponsor you and yours with tax dollars. And not everyone is cut out for the military. Why would this be insulting? I appreciate those who serve. Has nothing to do with exposing myself to unnecessary danger no matter the source.

And no one is disrespecting the flag here either. So please don't go there too.
Old 03-03-19, 01:14 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

He also ignores that in most wars, most casualties are civilians.
This is my POINT! I am that civilian just trying to survive the mayhem. No point strolling through a mine field full of denial.

Much as I hate to prevent conflict ... JoeyBike, doesn't mean it is silly to be a soldier. He was calling me "silly."
Exactly. Not meant as a personal attack on you either @Maelochs. Although I pray the mods know you and I can take care of ourselves here.

He meant no disrespect to people who have chosen or been called to serve. Or ... well, he can say so for himself, if I am wrong. But I do not want any misunderstandings here.
Truth. My father was military. Korea, specifically.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 03-03-19 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-03-19, 01:58 PM
Maelochs

This is my POINT! I am that civilian just trying to survive the mayhem. No point strolling through a mine field full of denial.
And that is where you Completely miss the point. In a war zone, you have every chance of dying Everywhere. You don't have to walk into a fire fight---the fire-figt will comer to you. The random mortar shell or barrel-bomb or whatever ... you Cannot stay safe in a war zone. Which is why your comparison is inaccurate. But ... let's let it go. it shouldn't be this big a deal.
Exactly. Not meant as a personal attack on you either @Maelochs. Although I pray the mods know you and I can take care of ourselves here.
I was not offended. "Silly" is almost a term of affection on A&S.
Old 03-03-19, 05:17 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
here is raated by The Chronicle as the worst in traafic deaths in US.
Houston, TX I presume?
Old 03-04-19, 08:27 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Joey,

I don't think that was the argument Joey was making... there ARE non combatants in war zones too.

As a cyclist, and a vet, I do agree that there are some bad conditions on the road (albeit, not quite battle like, more like "street fighting")
Old 03-05-19, 12:51 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Is it still legal to drink & drive in Louisiana? That is, legal to drive while drinking an alcoholic drink? I remember seeing a drive-through bar where you could order drinks to go on a documentary once. I was shaking my head because in my state they're pretty strict on alcohol, not even allowing anything over 3.2% beer to be sold in grocery stores.
Old 03-05-19, 01:26 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Is it still legal to drink & drive in Louisiana? That is, legal to drive while drinking an alcoholic drink? I remember seeing a drive-through bar where you could order drinks to go on a documentary once. I was shaking my head because in my state they're pretty strict on alcohol, not even allowing anything over 3.2% beer to be sold in grocery stores.
It never was legal to drink and drive in Louisiana, even when the drinking age was 18 (we were the LAST state to go to the 21 minimum). It is illegal to have an open alcoholic beverage INSIDE of a moving vehicle at any time, even passengers. Also, most people do not realize that it is actually illegal to walk on any street in Louisiana - even New Orleans - with an open alcohol beverage! However, the law is only enforced if you are drinking out of a can, bottle, or pretty much anything EXCEPT a plastic or paper cup - known as a "Go Cup" locally.

Drive-through Daiquiri shops evade the law by putting a piece of tape over the straw hole in the lid of a daiquiri as it is handed to the car occupants at the drive-thru. Hence, it is a "sealed" container by law. But legally, it should not even be inside the car, not even the back seat with a passenger once the tape is removed.

One thing I love about New Orleans is "our" predisposition to not obeying laws and not enforcing laws like some totalitarian state. However, obviously, this laissez-faire attitude does have it's drawbacks. And just let me say that if you get drunk and MESS UP....then you pay big time. Sadly, others may end up hurt or dead in the process. And if you get caught intoxicated behind the wheel, even without hurting anyone, you will be very sorry. Your life will be ruined for years to come. There are random checkpoints. So I guess this helps a little when a dragnet gets covered by local news stations after a big haul.

The saying "Buzzed driving is drunk driving" does not apply here. Half of the population would already be in jail. If you can pass a curb-side sobriety test, you are good to go.

In defense of NOPD: Certain parts of the French Quarter are obviously loaded with staggering drunks. It is amazing just how much officers will put up with down there. You can literally be as wasted as you want to be. However, if you are told to do something, or stop doing something by NOPD on Bourbon Street, and are too drunk to follow a command or get belligerent with them, it is highly likely you will fall down a flight of stairs and land on five Tasers and three German Shepherds on the way to jail. Every time a home video of NOPD wailing on some drunk in the French Quarter makes national news, all of us New Orleaneans wonder "What on Earth did that guy do to the cops to activate their 'attitude adjustment' mode". You gotta mess up pretty badly for them to want to write up a report and drag you away. And if you resist arrest...God help you.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 03-05-19 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-05-19, 02:57 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts

Maybe Syria? When a barrel-bomb hits your apartment, i don't think your bike will be a primary concern.

Maybe stop trying to convince people that your obvious hyperbole was in fact actual?
This
Old 03-05-19, 03:18 PM
Maelochs

[QUOTE=JoeyBike;20824072 One thing I love about New Orleans is "our" predisposition to not obeying laws and not enforcing laws like some totalitarian state. However, obviously, this laissez-faire attitude does have it's drawbacks. And just let me say that if you get drunk and MESS UP....then you pay big time. Sadly, others may end up hurt or dead in the process. And if you get caught intoxicated behind the wheel, even without hurting anyone, you will be very sorry. Your life will be ruined for years to come. There are random checkpoints. So I guess this helps a little when a dragnet gets covered by local news stations after a big haul. ....

However, if you are told to do something, or stop doing something by NOPD on Bourbon Street, and are too drunk to follow a command or get belligerent with them, it is highly likely you will fall down a flight of stairs and land on five Tasers and three German Shepherds on the way to jail. .... And if you resist arrest...God help you.[/QUOTE] There is a lot of appeal in this attitude. preserve public safety and public freedom ... but hold people ultimately responsible.

And in general ... mess with the cops, what did you Think was going to happen? Work out your authority issues (often father issues) on your own time. Don't expect cops to do your psycho-analysis. And if you do , don't complain about their methods.

There are a few really bad cops ... but very few. There are a lot more really stupid people. " .... the cops don't need you, and man, they expect the same"
Old 03-05-19, 04:16 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Well I guess tonight will be a busy night for the cops down there.
Old 03-05-19, 05:23 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Well I guess tonight will be a busy night for the cops down there.
Oh yeah! And for two weeks they have been working long shifts. At 12-Midnight SHARP, Mardi Gras is OVER. They line up a cavalry of mounted police at one end of Bourbon Street and slowly proceed to push the massive crowd off of it. Behind the horses is a parade of paddy wagons for the non-compliants. Behind them, an army of street cleaners. It's a sort of Martial Law until dawn.

Old 03-05-19, 05:24 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
When I lived in Dallas in the mid 80's you could legally drink and drive in areas where you couldn't buy alcohol. The laws were pretty confusing, and there were a lot of accidents caused by people driving longer distances to get home while they were drunk.
Old 03-05-19, 05:32 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

There is a lot of appeal in this attitude. preserve public safety and public freedom ... but hold people ultimately responsible.

And in general ... mess with the cops, what did you Think was going to happen? Work out your authority issues (often father issues) on your own time. Don't expect cops to do your psycho-analysis. And if you do , don't complain about their methods.

There are a few really bad cops ... but very few. There are a lot more really stupid people. " .... the cops don't need you, and man, they expect the same"
I have great respect for NOPD - what they do, what they put up with, and what they DON'T DO. I was born in NOLA and raised by parents who coached us kids how to act around NOPD. Therefore, I have never had one problem with NOPD myself. Yes, white boys do get their arses kicked by NOPD if they so desire.
Old 03-06-19, 07:32 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Not to derail a thread. I once had an idea for a true reality show called "Certain Death". Twenty people are lined up at one end of a war zone and the first to make it to the other side on the ground wins a million dollars.
Old 03-06-19, 07:36 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Joey,

Thank you for your service...people like you did the hard things so people like me could do the easy things (like riding a bike).
Old 03-06-19, 10:23 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Oh yeah! And for two weeks they have been working long shifts. At 12-Midnight SHARP, Mardi Gras is OVER. They line up a cavalry of mounted police at one end of Bourbon Street and slowly proceed to push the massive crowd off of it. Behind the horses is a parade of paddy wagons for the non-compliants. Behind them, an army of street cleaners. It's a sort of Martial Law until dawn.
The only Mardi Gras parade on Bourbon Street took place Friday Morning, the Krewe of Bosom Buddies - the tourists were either just beginning to land at Louis Armstrong or sleeping off Thursday night.

A couple of other parades *CROSS* Bourbon Street earlier during carnival season. All of the French Quarter parades are walking parades.

Deja Vu Bar and Grill is "open twenty-four seven, three hundred and sixty-four."

The "go-cup" arrived on Bourbon Street about 50 years ago.

p.s. The famous float parades are Uptown. Metairie does float and truck parades, and they went backwards this year - the route, not the trucks.

-mr. bill
Old 03-06-19, 10:48 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
BTW, I know it's a "Martial Law until dawn" in Joey world, but here are actual pictures from last year's Nothing Like a "War Zone":

Mardis Gras closing time

-mr. bill
Old 03-06-19, 11:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
When I lived in New Orleans in the 1980s, the Mardi Gras headlines I remember were about being shot in the face.
Old 03-06-19, 01:40 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
Pfft! HTFU! That's not a war zone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.