Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Amazon... A warning.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Amazon... A warning.

Old 07-01-20, 11:47 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,466 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
I didn't quote you, for you.

I quoted you, for the MANY others that will read this topic.
Originally Posted by 2old
Me too.
You two guys can easily stop this right now . . . it’s just a freaking difference of opinion, geez!
Old 07-01-20, 11:52 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,026 Times in 1,426 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
To each his own. On the other hand I've made relatively few purchases on ebay and almost every one had a problem, either late delivery (well after the "promised" date) or obviously a substandard "clone" of what was described that needed to be modified to function. So, while I still use them as a last option, I realize the risks.
My biggest problem with eBay over the past couple of years is the way they show expected delivery time. It's like everything listed shows a delivery time of 7-10 days. Things often arrive much sooner. One of the reasons why I choose one seller over another is the expected delivery time. When everyone shows 10 days, but it should only take 2-3 and you need it within 7 days...it just gets easier to purchase elsewhere.

Amazon, on the other hand always seems to deliver before their estimated date, even when that's only 3 days out!
Old 07-01-20, 12:08 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
No way is cost $10. If made in China, the cost is probably less than $1 and maybe even 10 cents.
Wholesale cost = cost that an LBS or other reseller would pay to buy product from the distributor or factory. Not the cost to manufacture them.

Unless the people selling fake cleats online have their own factory, they're buying (or stealing) them from somewhere, repackaging them to make them look like authentic Shimano product, storing boxes of them in a warehouse, listing them online and shipping them out.

Doing all this to fake an item that sells for $15-$20 online seems crazy to me. I get that it's probably a volume game for them, but there are so many other bike related products that have similar carrying costs and sell for a lot more. Why not fake those instead?
Old 07-01-20, 12:40 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
I agree with the Amazon part, learned my lesson, but always got my money back, and in most cases was just able to throw the part away. However, on most of my CV builds, the majority of components were found on eBay, no issue with NOS vintage bike components at least. As long as you know what your looking at, not that much risk.
Tim
Old 07-01-20, 12:53 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I've actually gotten counterfeit KMC missing links from the LBS before. Got it home, didn't work. Sure enough, looked up the true retail packaging and something was off. Wouldn't pull tight, they were super super loose and horrible. Like, loosey goosey.

Wound up getting REAL ones off of Amazon that were correct and worked. Go figure.
Old 07-01-20, 01:17 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I ordered some bike gloves from a random seller. They were only $8 so expectations were not high. The gloves ended up not being very good. The quality of the glove itself was decent but they were too stretchy and forgiving in the palm and my hand to glove contact was loose even though they were tight if that makes sense. My hand moved inside the glove. The glove to bar tape interface was fine. Either way I left feedback as such. Seller contacted me and returned my money and I kept the gloves. I use them for weight lifting now and are are fine for that. Not sure the point of the story but end result was I and the seller seemed to be happy in the end. I've ordered other $8-10 bike gloves and still using them to this day.

Last edited by u235; 07-01-20 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-01-20, 09:24 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by eyemkeith
I don't doubt this is true, but, like CAT7DR, I've bought several items from Amazon after not being able to find them elsewhere, for cheap, with free shipping and no drama. Don't get me wrong, I'm not fond of lining the pockets of He Who Does Not Need More Money, but sometimes that two-day free shipping is hard to turn down.

I agree. We are getting spoiled with Amazon Prime. In response to the threads subject of Amazon purchases, I have ordered quite a few bike parts with no issues. One must use the message from Johnny Cash "I keep my eyes wide open all the time"
Likes For frogman:
Old 07-02-20, 09:34 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2974 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Anyone receiving bad/counterfeit bike parts from Amazon...That's on you for not paying attention.
Likes For prj71:
Old 07-02-20, 07:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I've actually gotten counterfeit KMC missing links from the LBS before. Got it home, didn't work. Sure enough, looked up the true retail packaging and something was off. Wouldn't pull tight, they were super super loose and horrible. Like, loosey goosey.

Wound up getting REAL ones off of Amazon that were correct and worked. Go figure.
I have really high doubts a local bike shop is going to go to the trouble to get counterfiet KMC Missing Links. That just sounds fishy. I can see there being an issue with a product but usually that is covered under warranty. I have had enough products that missed QC before they want out and needed replacement but were legitimate products. I have also seen plenty of manufacturers change packaging and plenty of vendors with older packaging.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-02-20, 07:14 PM
GeorgeStevens

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you return it with an explanation as to why?
Old 07-03-20, 10:06 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
read the reviews....

So many amazon scratch and dent returns being sold of as new items.

I started window shopping Amazon, and then I 90% of the time order somewhere else.
YES!!! I have found that also. Additionally, the reviews are often NOT of the identical item being sold, but are same brand, but different model. For bike parts I have found Universal Cycle and Jenson almost always to be cheaper, and almost always better packed.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 07-03-20, 10:42 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
YES!!! I have found that also. Additionally, the reviews are often NOT of the identical item being sold, but are same brand, but different model. For bike parts I have found Universal Cycle and Jenson almost always to be cheaper, and almost always better packed.
I love jensonUSA, biketiresdirect, Chain Reaction Cycle,

To me when multiple reviews are of another item that is not being sold is a huge red flag.

It doesn't seem like faulty product is all that is a miss on Amazon, someone... be it sellers or Amazon is shifting stuff around and playing the review game Scam!
Old 07-06-20, 11:36 AM
LeftyS7

Bikes: Giant Explore E-2

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
I generally only purchase bike and computer parts from Amazon if it is either sold by or fulfilled by Amazon. There are also some storefronts that are trustworthy (e.g. Competitive Cyclist, Silca, backcountry, etc.). Never had a problem. And yes, they sometimes don't have the best price. Don;t throw out the baby with the bathwater
And REI.
Old 07-06-20, 12:00 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
My beef with Amazon (and to a lesser extent, eBay) is their search function. You can't search for "Genuine Shimano -(for, compatible,fits, matches)". Some times I find a listing I want, record the exact text, and then search Amazon with that text - with no matches! Then somehow I find it again. So I think Amazon actually blocks some products from being displayed. Some high volume sellers must get (or buy) the process to where Amazon blocks certain competitors of the seller.

It's completely dishonest. And I think so much Chinese crap is being sold on Amazon that Amazon's ethics (such as they were) have been severely diminished.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 07-06-20, 12:06 PM
Duragrouch

Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 309 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520
Just an FYI for those that weren't already aware, Amazon is an awful place to purchase bike parts and accessories.

Here's the thing, counterfeits run rampant on their Marketplace, and they do practically nothing to stop this fraudulent behavior.
​​​​​​
The worst part? You're not even getting them for a super-low price like all that highly questionable stuff on Ebay.
​​​​​​
In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a brand name bicycle part on Amazon that I couldn't purchase at a legitimate store such as JensonUSA for less, and be guaranteed that they're the real Mccoy.

This is not only seen with bicycle parts, but many other items as well. And once again, Amazon does very about to stop this activity.

I only buy cheap household stuff and such (that I figure would be pointless to counterfeit), or items that are sold through the manufacturer rather than a third party now.

Be careful when shopping online.
I'm not a shill for amazon nor can I speak for your experience, but for me, the above is wrong.

I have found genuine Shimano parts (old Deore) that were HALF LIST PRICE, new in package, and I couldn't get those older Deore parts from the local bike shops immediately, they would have had to order them, at much higher cost and longer time than amazon. And, my girlfriend has amazon prime so the shipping was free and fast.

I look at the reviews for the parts, that's usually a great indicator. But if anything turns out to be wrong, Amazon forces them to take it back and provide a full refund, and if not, Amazon provides the refund. The problem resolution process on Ebay is much more problematic, Ebay themselves do not assume any financial responsibility. Amazon does and acts responsibly to build market share. I DO NOT like that they have turned into the behemoth that they have, but there's a reason for that, they do a good job. My only problem with Amazon is yes, I have read that some counterfeiters were selling goods that had intellectual property protections, and I don't know how well they are policing that.

So far my experience with amazon is amazing. Recently, I got parts to repair the clothes dryer and refrigerator at a small fraction of local sources. I had to be careful, some parts claimed "genuine OEM parts" but reviews said "No, they're copies, don't spend the premium price" so I found other parts, reviews were good, the parts were cheap and worked great. And if not, I could have returned them for free, just print out a shipping label but pickup was not free, I had to drop the envelope at amazon's dropoff center downtown. Not a big deal.

I bought a big pop riveter for the dryer fix, jammed from the first rivet, could not fix, back it went, no hassle on the return.
Old 07-06-20, 12:11 PM
LeftyS7

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
According to the Googles, the Amazon Marketplace offers in excess of 350,000,000 items. Would be close to impossible for Amazon to police them all.

I recently bought a Ritchey handlebar off of Amazon on Prime, actually sold and fulfilled by Planet Cyclery. Oddly, the bar was $10 cheaper on Amazon than through Planet Cyclery directly.
I've found that to be true for other items sold by the manufacturer. But I always check, sometimes it's the other way around.
Old 07-06-20, 12:18 PM
LeftyS7

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
For similar reasons, toss YELP reviews out the window.
I strongly disagree. Yelp is good at filtering out incorrect reviews. I count on it and always make a Yelp review.
Old 07-06-20, 01:40 PM
RefRick

Bikes: Trek Domane 4, Cannondale H400, Velo Orange Pass Hunter

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 7 Posts
Many people look at the reviews of the individual product, which is obviously important, but overlook the reviews of the seller.

I did my first hydraulic disc build last month, chewed up a shifter bleed screw in the learning process. Ordered one from a seller with ~75% positive feedback (without checking first) and still haven’t received my part. Ordered one a few days later from a shop with 98% feedback, arrived in 2 days.

Amazon is no different than anywhere else. Informed consumers make smart buying decisions.
Old 07-06-20, 02:18 PM
biketube guy

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If a seller on Amazon tried to influence your review, or pay you for writing one, you should report that seller to Amazon. They can have their account shut down for doing things like that.
Old 07-06-20, 02:24 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by LeftyS7
I strongly disagree. Yelp is good at filtering out incorrect reviews. I count on it and always make a Yelp review.
Yelp=extortion. One of volumes of articles on how good reviews get filtered out for non-premium subscribers. There have been many credible reports of reviewers having their 5 star rating removed from a non-premium Yelp subscriber and the very same review left standing for the premium subscriber.

https://thetechnoskeptic.com/yelp-ex...starring-role/
Old 07-06-20, 02:45 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
This whole thread can summed up by the phrase Caveat Emptor.
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 07-06-20, 02:58 PM
LeftyS7

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Yelp=extortion. One of volumes of articles on how good reviews get filtered out for non-premium subscribers. There have been many credible reports of reviewers having their 5 star rating removed from a non-premium Yelp subscriber and the very same review left standing for the premium subscriber.

https://thetechnoskeptic.com/yelp-ex...starring-role/
Thanks
Old 07-06-20, 04:24 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
This whole thread can summed up by the phrase Caveat Emptor.
Sometimes it’s not even that. People need to pay close attention to the item’s description and not just the lowest price. As I noted above, I bought knockoff vacuum bags for my very expensive machine. When I received them and realized they were not genuine, I reviewed the listing and realized that I would have known that had I paid more attention to the description.
Old 07-06-20, 04:49 PM
myemptymind

Bikes: BMC Alpenchallenge

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Amazon and Ebay are full of knockoffs everywhere, not just cycling. I always look for the sellers country of sale. China, India, Thailand, Hong Kong etc.... dont buy!
Likes For myemptymind:
Old 07-06-20, 05:00 PM
montanasoftware

Bikes: 1970s Gitane Tour de France with double-butted Reynolds 531 throughout and Sport-Touring geometry; 1985 Cannondale racing; 1990s Fuji racing frameset with Reynolds 853 & Ultegra groupo; 1990s old "beater" Univega CroMo Mtn. Bike.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
This is a good thread. I've bought auto and bike parts on eBay and Amazon without trouble, but there are YouTube videos of people unboxing obvious fakes. There are a lot of counterfeit high-end spark plugs on Amazon ... selling super super cheap. I agree with the people who emphasized how important it is to look into who you are buying from. If it is shipped by Amazon, it should be fine. And there are a lot of LBSs who have turned to eBay and Amazon to help keep their business afloat. My wife and I sell jewelry on eBay and etsy, and we are able to make a great income, and put our kids through college. Best bet is to read the feedback carefully.
Likes For montanasoftware:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.