Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

What shoes and pedals (dual sided)

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-20, 02:19 PM
kosmo886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Curious what shoes and pedals people have been using? Thinking more MTB versus road shoes? Also for pedals that are flat on one side and SPD on the other...any recommendations?
Old 06-12-20, 05:38 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3237 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 1,180 Posts
I just purchased a pair of Shimano XC-701 shoes. I’m using these with assorted Shimano LX level SPD pedals on 4 different bikes. The shoes were expensive but worth it as they come in a wide width, have a carbon mid-sole which reduces pressure on the metatarsal of the foot and have double BOA laces so are very adjustable. If I were not into riding distances greater than 25 miles I could get away with a less expensive and less stiff shoe. A good lesson learned as advice from others is it’s worth spending money on shoes, saddles, shorts and gloves, as these are the contact points with a bike.

If you want a good pedal that has SPD on both sides as well as platforms to use any shoe as well as SPD shoes, it’s the Shimano PD-M424 pedals. These are on my 5th bike.
Old 06-12-20, 05:47 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
most higher end cross/mtb shoes are very similar to road shoes except for having 2 bolt cleat interface. And also the sole protects the cleat. I used road shoes on gravel for a while, but then I wiped out some $50 cleats and decided it didn't make sense.

I'm not particularly picky about pedals, I have a couple of different Shimano SPD as well as the ISSI from QBP

I use mtb shoes on the road now because it's a lot easier to walk into the bar after a ride. And it's especially a lot easier to walk out of the bar.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 06-12-20, 07:38 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
most higher end cross/mtb shoes are very similar to road shoes except for having 2 bolt cleat interface. And also the sole protects the cleat. I used road shoes on gravel for a while, but then I wiped out some $50 cleats and decided it didn't make sense.

I'm not particularly picky about pedals, I have a couple of different Shimano SPD as well as the ISSI from QBP

I use mtb shoes on the road now because it's a lot easier to walk into the bar after a ride. And it's especially a lot easier to walk out of the bar.
same here. I used to do spd pedals but now do more gravel and trail mixed with road and converted to mtb bike flats. Put on some Crankbrothers Stamp 7s with the studs. Like these a lot more than clipless now. I got wide flat feet and my feet are happier too with the larger platform I can shift my foot around more.
Old 06-12-20, 08:06 PM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I use crank brothers egg beaters on dirt with mtb shoes and even switched on roadbike to mtb shoes with the protected cleat or more walkable sole. Not a weight weenie so when I started cyclocross I really didn't think I was giving up anything by having a more comfortable shoe for every scenario.

As for brands, Ive noticed little practical difference in nashbat, performance or shimano spd other than budget reduction

Last edited by thenomad; 06-12-20 at 08:19 PM.
Old 06-13-20, 04:44 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Old 06-14-20, 07:34 AM
zen_

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
If you don't care about weight / looks, the Shimano PD-M324 pedal is almost indestructible, and will last forever. If you do care about weight, and want a more modern looking pedal, unfortunately Shimano doesn't make the excellent PD-A530 anymore. Even the Nashbar Soho copy with a composite body that is pretty good (I have these on my commuter) are not available anymore, but there are similar pedals on AliExpress (YMMV).

If you can live without dual sided pedals, I highly recommend the Look X-Track. I have about 5K miles on a base model pair that have been through hell, and they still function, and spin great. They have a larger platform than Shimano pedals that is better for long rides using shoes that do not have extremely stiff soles too.
Old 06-14-20, 01:21 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
I’ve been using crank brothers egg beaters for pedals, and Specialized MTB shoes. I just ordered a pair of Fizik Terra X5’s, but they won’t be here for a couple more weeks.

Old 07-09-20, 12:38 PM
Ubie

Bikes: 2019 CO-OP DRT 1.2, 2001 Trek 2200, 2021 Cannondale Topstone 1 Alloy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by zen_
... unfortunately Shimano doesn't make the excellent PD-A530 anymore. Even the Nashbar Soho copy with a composite body that is pretty good (I have these on my commuter) are not available anymore...
Just an FYI, the Nashbar Soho pedals are still available on the Performance Bike website. Literally have a pair delivering tomorrow, can't wait to try them out
Old 07-09-20, 10:34 PM
loheiman

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
For pedals, i've been happy with Shimano XT Touring PD-T8000. I like them because the platform/flat side is very grippy due to the set screws (which come in 2 lengths)
Old 07-10-20, 07:30 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Gconan
These are what I have on the gravel bike. Using Fizik mtb shoes. I run XT SPD pedals without the platform on my road bike with Fizik gravel shoes.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 07-10-20, 06:51 PM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
Curious what shoes and pedals people have been using? Thinking more MTB versus road shoes? Also for pedals that are flat on one side and SPD on the other...any recommendations?
Crankbrothers Doubleshot pedals are dual-sided for 2-bolt MTB cleats on one side and flats with grip-pins on the other.
They are NOT SPD compatible.

They come in different materials at 3 different price points, and in multiple color options.
I've only had them for a couple months and I love them so far.
for what its worth, I find the 2-bolt MTB cleat design clips in and out way easier than my SPD pedals on my road bike
Old 07-15-20, 02:44 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
I use Crank Bros candy on both my road and gravel bikes. MTB shoes for off-raod (and winter road riding) and for the road bike I use carbon sole road shoes with 3 to 2 hole adapter for crank bros cleats.
However, here's am ode to the Shimano M520 pedal.
https://cyclingtips.com/2020/07/an-o...eliable-pedal/
Old 07-15-20, 09:53 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by kosmo886
the only choice for dual side /gravel use

https://www.rei.com/product/116154/s...000-spd-pedals
Old 07-15-20, 10:16 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
the only choice for dual side /gravel use

https://www.rei.com/product/116154/s...000-spd-pedals
Shimano T-8000...Yes!
Old 07-16-20, 12:44 PM
Duende108

Bikes: Mosaic GT-1, Waterford SR-33, Ciocc San Cristobal

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lake CX237
- maybe the best cycling shoes I’ve ever had. Bombproof. So comfortable, no custom foot sole needed. Look great after years of abuse to boot!

Speedplay SYZR
- kind of were annoying at first... trainjng myself and getting used to the clip-in action. However... that was 2 plus years ago... they are still just as good as new. So many miles and my cleats are still holding up. I fully recommend these pedals now.
Old 07-16-20, 12:51 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Giro Privateer and Shimano M520. Neither are top of the line but you can't beat that combination for bang for the buck, in my opinion.
Old 07-16-20, 06:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I Have some Time Aluminum ones I haven't used much at all I'll sell .. just fell out of desire for "performance"..

shoes? had some Keens, sold them... still have some Nike Italian made MTB type shoes..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-16-20 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-16-20, 10:31 PM
Bingod

Bikes: Giant Anyroad

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
For dual sided pedals the Look Geo Trekking ROC look interesting. SPD one side, platform with pins on the other. Anyone seen these in the flesh?