Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I need a new helmet. Why so expensive?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I need a new helmet. Why so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-20, 06:24 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/cdc-report-shows-bathroom-related-injuries-thousands-visits/story?id=13802036 Now you do.
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Interesting. It doesn't prove your claim, but its interesting.
I think an average of more than 640 people 15 or older fall off of a bike each day, which would disprove your claim.

But really, I just wanted to post that gif because I laugh every time I think of that SNL commercial.
Originally Posted by alanf
Where the heck did you get a stat like that? I can't imagine someone reporting that they fell off a bike, certainly I wouldn't.
I didnt come up with that stat, Maelochs effectively did. He claimed there is a higher chance of falling in a bathroom than on a bike and provided a link that states there are an average of 640 falls per day in bathrooms by people 15 or older.
I say that across the US, there are more than 640 falls off a bike per day by people 15 or older. Mountain biking, BMX, road riding, gravel riding, downhill MTB, etc etc etc.
Actually .... "A new study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that approximately 234,000 people ages 15 and older were treated in an American emergency department for non-fatal bathroom-related injuries" is sort of what it says.

I have definitely crashed many times .... occasionally at stoplights because of foot-retention issues .... but I would rather die on the pavement than go to the emergency room because of a clip-fall. I might not have skill, but I have pride.
I'm not sure how quoting the study supports what you said earlier.
Yeah, I was hoping that you would actually read this part: "A new study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that approximately 234,000 people ages 15 and older were treated in an American emergency department for non-fatal bathroom-related injuries"

You missed that. Maybe a lot of people fall off their bikes, but almost none of them end up in emergency rooms.

On another hand I thought you were just sort of joking, like I was.

Whatever.
Old 09-09-20, 06:56 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Yeah, I was hoping that you would actually read this part: "A new study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that approximately 234,000 people ages 15 and older were treated in an American emergency department for non-fatal bathroom-related injuries"

You missed that. Maybe a lot of people fall off their bikes, but almost none of them end up in emergency rooms.

Whatever.
Since at least the early 70's, failing to consider the severity of injuries incurred by bicyclists in various types of falls, crashes, and so-called accidents, has been a standard procedure for some self appointed/self proclaimed bicycling safety experts who use such faulty risk analysis techniques to draw (often self serving) conclusions about bicycling risk and appropriate risk reduction countermeasures.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 09-09-20, 07:23 PM
ablang

Bikes: not worth mentioning

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you guys fall down and hit your helmet on the asphalt/concrete/whatever, do you typically replace helmet (even if it doesn't appear to have any physical damage)?
Old 09-09-20, 09:25 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts

Whatever.
But we weren't talking specifically about people who end up in an ER.

I'm really not following.
You made a claim, I doubted it, and you defended it with a statistic that doesnt support your claim or refute my doubt. And now you are pointing to another part of an article that also doesn't support your claim or refute my doubt.

Oh well.
Old 09-09-20, 09:25 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Since at least the early 70's, failing to consider the severity of injuries incurred by bicyclists in various types of falls, crashes, and so-called accidents, has been a standard procedure for some self appointed/self proclaimed bicycling safety experts who use such faulty risk analysis techniques to draw (often self serving) conclusions about bicycling risk and appropriate risk reduction countermeasures.
Old 09-10-20, 10:14 AM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ablang
If you guys fall down and hit your helmet on the asphalt/concrete/whatever, do you typically replace helmet (even if it doesn't appear to have any physical damage)?
No.
Old 09-10-20, 10:17 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

But we weren't talking specifically about people who end up in an ER.

I'm really not following.
Correct, you are not following.
Counting only injuries "severe" enough to result in an ER visit is a simple attempt to filter out the "falls" that result in no injury or minor injuries from consideration in order to more accurately evaluate the risk of the activity under discussion. But it is better than giving every "fall" an equal value in risk evaluation, regardless of the injury severity incurred as in "I say that across the US, there are more than 640 falls off a bike per day by people 15 or older."

People who do not understand how to evaluate risk will often quote data or factoids from so-called "studies" or even their own guesswork that is based on the use of vague undefined metrics like "falls" or "crashes" and give no consideration to the severity level of the injuries that typically occur from various types of "falls" and "crashes".

If you care to read more discussion that includes promotion for use of specific bicycling equipment or bicycling technique that rely on the use of faulty risk analysis "studies" that among other problems make no distinction between falls that result in boo-boo injuries that can be treated with a band-aid, and catastrophic injuries, try the Vehicular Cycling or Helmet sticky threads.
Old 09-10-20, 10:31 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Correct, you are not following.
Counting only injuries "severe" enough to result in an ER visit is a simple attempt to filter out the "falls" that result in no injury or minor injuries from consideration in order to more accurately evaluate the risk of the activity under discussion. But it is better than giving every "fall" an equal value in risk evaluation, regardless of the injury severity incurred as in "I say that across the US, there are more than 640 falls off a bike per day by people 15 or older."

People who do not understand how to evaluate risk will often quote data or factoids from so-called "studies" or even their own guesswork that is based on the use of vague undefined metrics like "falls" or "crashes" and give no consideration to the severity level of the injuries that typically occur from various types of "falls" and "crashes".

If you care to read more discussion that includes promotion for use of specific bicycling equipment or bicycling technique that rely on the use of faulty risk analysis "studies" that among other problems make no distinction between falls that result in boo-boo injuries that can be treated with a band-aid, and catastrophic injuries, try the Vehicular Cycling or Helmet sticky threads.
Getting into a back and forth with i-like-to-bike is only slightly better than getting into one with cyccocommute and both are slightly better than going against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

First off, drop the talk about not understanding how to evaluate risk. I was responding to a baseless claim by maelochs. He still hasnt backed up his claim. Instead, he referenced a news article of a report that has data which is partly related to the discussion.

The claim was that an adult is more likely to fall and hit their head in the bathroom than fall and hit their head when on a bike. Thats it. Thats all. The claim wasnt about ER visits and ER visits dont prove or disprove either side of the claim.
So injuries in the bathroom dont count unless its both a fall and the head hits something. Did you injure your toe in the bathroom?...sucks, but that doesnt apply. Did you hit your head on a cabinet but not fall?...sucks, but that doesnt apply.

Again- the claim was then defended with something that reports ER visits for bathroom injuries, but that doesnt confirm the claim at all.

This should have ended when I posted that gif from SNL. But maelochs decided to link a report that doesnt actually prove his claim, so I responded. And now we are here, with you rambling on about me not understanding how to evaluate risk. What on earth?!?!
Old 09-10-20, 11:02 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Getting into a back and forth with i-like-to-bike is only slightly better than getting into one with cyccocommute and both are slightly better than going against a Sicilian when death is on the line.
Posting a snarky gif and ad hominum argument is a "back and forth"?
Old 09-10-20, 11:13 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Posting a snarky gif and ad hominum argument is a "back and forth"?
Is this all you have to say in response to my post? Can we then agree your rambling to maelochs about me and directly to me were in error and really just not applicable? I hope we can agree.
Old 09-10-20, 01:04 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
Depreciation?

,,,,Helmets have a life span, being exposed to sun, heat, UV, etc.

There is no evidence that helmets have a limited lifespan. That rumor was started by the helmet makers, and I'm sure you can guess why.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 09-10-20, 01:41 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Touch of wheels at the 200m to go sign........I'll wear my helmet and eye protection thank you very much.

Old 09-10-20, 01:45 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Touch of wheels at the 200m to go sign........I'll wear my helmet and eye protection thank you very much.
You can buff that out.
Old 09-10-20, 01:47 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
There is no evidence that helmets have a limited lifespan. That rumor was started by the helmet makers, and I'm sure you can guess why.
I was going to buy a new one because the plastic Roc Loc thing was broken and the pads are gnarly.

After all of this.....I just bought new RocLoc, pads and good to go. For all of $10. Unless you count the other stuff I bought, just because buying online is easy.
Old 09-10-20, 02:37 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
I was going to buy a new one because the plastic Roc Loc thing was broken and the pads are gnarly.

After all of this.....I just bought new RocLoc, pads and good to go. For all of $10. Unless you count the other stuff I bought, just because buying online is easy.
I put new pads in my Giro this year. It's actually more comfortable now - the new pads seem to be a little higher quality than original. It's like a brand new helmet.