Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Show Me Your EXTERNAL Di2 Setup!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Show Me Your EXTERNAL Di2 Setup!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-20, 11:30 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
That's a big ugly battery.
Oh.. wrong topic.
Life's too short to let someone else's opinion ruin your summer.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 09-23-20, 01:06 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22573 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Minor update. I saw the cyclist with external Di2 again today and got a chance to ask how it was done so cleanly.

It turns out she had the battery in the seatpost. Wires from shifters run under down tube, junction box under BB with wires running inside seat tube up to battery, then wires run to FD and RD under chainstay.

I don’t know if my bike’s BB shell is large enough to duplicate this setup, but it does look very clean and did not require any holes to be drilled (I think the hole for attaching under BB cable guides gives access to ST).

Hmm....
Old 09-23-20, 01:28 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,611 Times in 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Minor update. I saw the cyclist with external Di2 again today and got a chance to ask how it was done so cleanly.

It turns out she had the battery in the seatpost. Wires from shifters run under down tube, junction box under BB with wires running inside seat tube up to battery, then wires run to FD and RD under chainstay.

I don’t know if my bike’s BB shell is large enough to duplicate this setup, but it does look very clean and did not require any holes to be drilled (I think the hole for attaching under BB cable guides gives access to ST).

Hmm....
Doesn't the junction box get mounted using the hole from the obsolescent cable guide?

Or do you have two holes in your BB shell?

Regarding the room inside the BB shell, if you're running an external cup BB and a 24mm spindle crank you'll have more room to work with than running a cartridge bearing square taper BB. I probably wouldn't consider it with the latter.
Old 09-23-20, 01:33 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22573 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Doesn't the junction box get mounted using the hole from the obsolescent cable guide?

Or do you have two holes in your BB shell?

Regarding the room inside the BB shell, if you're running an external cup BB and a 24mm spindle crank you'll have more room to work with than running a cartridge bearing square taper BB. I probably wouldn't consider it with the latter.
I did not get to dissect the under the BB items, but best I could tell the wire to the battery went in through the same hole the junction box was attached to. I imagine enough room for both? I know the shop that did her setup (Shirk’s, possibly the best bike shop in the state) so I imagine I could ask them. At this point I am just thinking. But it is tempting...
Old 09-23-20, 09:43 PM
MakiNn

Bikes: Spooky Mulholland

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
It will look fugly. Save up a few more dollars and get the Etap.
He actually wants to ride his bike.

Sram blows....ask me how I know

also Sram may have smaller batteries but they compensate for the god awful huge rear mech
Likes For MakiNn: