Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best hitch carrier for carbon frames

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best hitch carrier for carbon frames

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-20, 12:46 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by banjaboy
If I had a Subaru i would want to cover my face with a bag so my buddies dont see me, oops, my bad....but true......
7,000 feet in the Sierra at the height of the winter snow. Lodge manager swearing up and down that his bad-ass four wheel drive will NOT make it up the snowy driveway. He worked TIRELESSLY to make that thing unstoppable. But he simply cannot drive up the damn driveway, big snow tires and all. Along comes a city dweller in her beat up Subaru GL wagon. Total jalopy of a car that she bought used and never really took very good care of. She arrives to see the frustrated manager who cannot drive up the driveway. She simply hits the gas and drives right up without a second thought.

Big, bad 4X4 schooled by a Subaru POS!

Disclaimer: I do not own a Subaru. Never have. I have no affiliation with Subaru (Pleiades!) whatsoever. Just sharing a funny story. Please use at your own discretion!
Old 09-25-20, 12:14 AM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 129 Posts
That thing? Ha, ha! I remember when that band-aid solution was released to the market TWENTY YEARS AGO. Before, your bike hung by the frame with little straps to hold it on tight. You kept an eye on your bikes in the rear view mirror the whole time, hoping a bump wouldn't dislodge them. Now with this "new" solution, you now have TWO MORE failure points ready to drop your bike on the freeway at 70 mph.

I haven't seen one of those things on the road in over a decade. Neato device though. I guess that makes the 99.99% of us out there "clueless."
Old 09-25-20, 05:30 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
All of the racks mentioned carry and secure by the wheels. Full suspension designs rendered the frame hanging racks useless.
Useless? Seriously?

I used a hanging rack (Thule Spare Me) exclusively from 2002-2015. Never came across an FS bike that did not fit, including the 6 I owned....

2000 SC Superlight
2003 SC Heckler
2005 Azonic Saber
2008 IH MKIII
2010 Marin Mt Vision
2011 Turner 5 Spot

Plus my wife’s KHS 204 XC, and several of my friends’ bikes including a SC Superlight 29er, Some older Kona XC FS bike, and some 29er FS Trek.

I am probably forgetting a few.

Yes, some took some head scratching the fist time I mounted them, but after that it was no biggie.

And I never needed one of those stem/seat post adaptor thingies.

As far as bouncing out of the rack.... sorry, but that’s on you if you can’t remember to use the cradle straps.

I think you are confusing “useful” with “idiot-proof”. Hanging racks are not idiot proof. That makes a bad choice for some. Many tray racks are much better in this regard.
Old 09-25-20, 11:40 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
7,000 feet in the Sierra at the height of the winter snow. Lodge manager swearing up and down that his bad-ass four wheel drive will NOT make it up the snowy driveway. He worked TIRELESSLY to make that thing unstoppable. But he simply cannot drive up the damn driveway, big snow tires and all. Along comes a city dweller in her beat up Subaru GL wagon. Total jalopy of a car that she bought used and never really took very good care of. She arrives to see the frustrated manager who cannot drive up the driveway. She simply hits the gas and drives right up without a second thought.

Big, bad 4X4 schooled by a Subaru POS!

Disclaimer: I do not own a Subaru. Never have. I have no affiliation with Subaru (Pleiades!) whatsoever. Just sharing a funny story. Please use at your own discretion!
I used to tell the same story about my 67 VW Bug.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.