Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

what I'd like in a touring app

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 06-10-15, 06:32 AM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been seeing a lot of questions on various forums regarding apps for displaying their map coordinates to others.

Instead of asking about what apps people use, I thought I'd put down what I'd like from an app and I thought maybe others would want to chime in too:

1. report current address and gps coordinates at configurable intervals.
2. Shut off gps when not required by the app to save battery. Wake up gps automatically when needed.
3. Easily add 'friends' to ongoing tour profile (NFC, wifi, texting number, etc).
4. Friends location update via SMS/TXT (configurable). (SMS messages are almost always available.)
5. Track friends on map
6. Permissions for location - coarse, fine, friends only, etc.
7. Sense crash
8. Use Google Places API to look up local services
9. Display services, friends, etc. on a map

10. ...?...
Old 06-10-15, 06:58 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Can I ask ... why?

I know ... to each his own ... different strokes ... and all that ...

But quite frankly ...

1. When I'm cycling or touring, I know where I am. I don't need an app to tell me. And if I don't know where I am, that's fine too. That has happened a small handful of times, and adds to the adventure.

3, 4 & 5. I have no interest in "adding friends", and I have absolutely no interest in where my friends are or tracking them. And I especially don't want anyone to be able to track me.

Maybe that's just me.

When I'm on a tour, I don't want anyone to know where I am with the exception of immediate family and certain select people at specific times.
Old 06-10-15, 07:35 AM
iconicflux
Fredly

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker w/ SRAM Rival, & 36H 38's, Late 70's Santana Tandem w/ Double Diamond frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As you said, to each their own.

It's not always about knowing where you are but often I roll into a place and then roll out only to find out later that I missed something because I didn't know the town and never bothered to check.

As for your questions/comments:
#1 would be a way to have family members or others know where you were last seen. It's not so you can know where you are.
#3 /4/5 are because not everyone tours alone. Sometimes you'll be touring with people of various speeds/skills. It would allow greater flexibility between riders so a faster cyclist isn't necessarily stuck going at the pace of the slowest person. I've been the person way off the front before and I know well having to wait for the rest of my group so they can see the place to camp/eat/etc.

Originally Posted by Machka
Can I ask ... why?

But quite frankly ...

1. When I'm cycling or touring, I know where I am. I don't need an app to tell me. And if I don't know where I am, that's fine too. That has happened a small handful of times, and adds to the adventure.

3, 4 & 5. I have no interest in "adding friends", and I have absolutely no interest in where my friends are or tracking them. And I especially don't want anyone to be able to track me.

Maybe that's just me.

When I'm on a tour, I don't want anyone to know where I am with the exception of immediate family and certain select people at specific times.
Old 06-10-15, 08:48 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Get on the Programming then , someone writes those Apps, line By Line..
Old 06-10-15, 09:27 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by iconicflux
7. Sense crash
really? ya need an app for dat?

i s'pose i'm showin' ma age....but back in the
day, if we was bleedin' and had gravel pokin'
in our knees, we prolly done crashed.

no wait, as a society, we are doomed.
i just read this:

"Hydration-tracking water bottle glows when you need a drink"
https://www.cnet.com/news/hydration-t...-need-a-drink/

"It has a sensor inside that tracks how much you drink and it transmits that information to an accompanying app on your smartphone via Bluetooth. The app collects data about your physical stats and activity levels and then calculates your ideal water intake per day. A graphic of a drop fills up the more you drink till you've reached your goal. If it's been awhile since your last guzzle, the bottle will glow to remind to take a swig.

Additionally, the app can track your location and adjust your recommended water intake based on that. If you're in the desert in Arizona for example, you might need more water than if you're in the Louisiana bayou.
"

so yeah, now you got an app that can alert your friends that you
fall down go boom hurt your boo-boo, please bring some water.

Last edited by saddlesores; 06-10-15 at 09:54 AM. Reason: writing an app to tell you ya got too many dang aps!
Old 06-10-15, 11:13 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18396 Post(s)
Liked 15,484 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores

i just read this:

Hydration-tracking water bottle glows when you need a drink - CNET

"It has a sensor inside that tracks how much you drink and it transmits that information to an accompanying app on your smartphone via Bluetooth. The app collects data about your physical stats and activity levels and then calculates your ideal water intake per day. A graphic of a drop fills up the more you drink till you've reached your goal. If it's been awhile since your last guzzle, the bottle will glow to remind to take a swig.

Additionally, the app can track your location and adjust your recommended water intake based on that. If you're in the desert in Arizona for example, you might need more water than if you're in the Louisiana bayou.
"

LOL! Beam me up, saddlesores.
Old 06-10-15, 12:42 PM
antokelly

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can I ask ... why?

But quite frankly ...

Maybe that's just me.

i like that
Old 06-10-15, 01:40 PM
indyfabz

My flip phone doesn't run those things called apps.

I just sent an email to some coworkers letting them know I will be on tour (SD and NE) starting next Wednesday and that during my absence I really won't be reachable. Just the way I like it.
Old 06-11-15, 10:16 AM
apolloturner

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One that gives you alternate stopping points would be nice. Say you have mechanical issue and don't make it the 40 miles you needed to in order to camp, it shows you alternate lodging.

I've been seeing a lot of questions on various forums regarding apps for displaying their map coordinates to others.

Instead of asking about what apps people use, I thought I'd put down what I'd like from an app and I thought maybe others would want to chime in too:

1. report current address and gps coordinates at configurable intervals.
2. Shut off gps when not required by the app to save battery. Wake up gps automatically when needed.
3. Easily add 'friends' to ongoing tour profile (NFC, wifi, texting number, etc).
4. Friends location update via SMS/TXT (configurable). (SMS messages are almost always available.)
5. Track friends on map
6. Permissions for location - coarse, fine, friends only, etc.
7. Sense crash
8. Use Google Places API to look up local services
9. Display services, friends, etc. on a map

10. ...?...
Old 06-11-15, 11:26 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by apolloturner
One that gives you alternate stopping points would be nice. Say you have mechanical issue and don't make it the 40 miles you needed to in order to camp, it shows you alternate lodging.
You can already find them using Google Maps. If my tour is short (e.g., 10 days or so), I have them in my head or on a piece of paper which never needs connectivity or recharging.
Old 06-12-15, 11:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,949 Times in 2,641 Posts
Here is what I would want in an appetizer for touring (we were talking food right?): Handmade steamed vegetable dumplings. Obviously hard to carry touring but maybe they might exist in a small local Chinese restaurant I might visit after a long hard day in the saddle or maybe I might be at a warmshowers and someone can cook or maybe they just are there waiting for me.

I would go fried but I feel like I wouldn't need the extra oil while touring and would want something a little lighter.
Old 06-13-15, 12:17 AM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts
Believe or not, Qualcomm is working on some type of technology, some kind of minuscule capsules circulating in our blood, constantly sending data about the anzyme levels, onset of different microscopic conditions, etc to your health center, laboratory, etc to see a d verify precursors to cancer cells, etc, before they become a problem,

I don't know about you but I want these tiny bity probes in my blood transmitting my health data to some place where it could be analyzed better and I could be alerted that something might be happening. to each their own. but then again I guess we could turn off all lights, turn off all electricity, and all live by candle lights, it is all just more romantic that way.

Originally Posted by saddlesores

i just read this:

Hydration-tracking water bottle glows when you need a drink - CNET

"

Old 06-13-15, 04:29 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Here is what I would want in an appetizer for touring (we were talking food right?): Handmade steamed vegetable dumplings.
Yum-me!
Old 06-14-15, 08:16 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Eds0123
Believe or not, Qualcomm is working on.....
yeah, and i'm waiting for an app that tells me i need to poo, cause, ya know, like
i'm never really sure and all. oh, and it'll twoot all my friends so they'll know all
about it in real time!

Originally Posted by Eds0123
....but I want these tiny bity probes in my blood transmitting my health data to some place where it could be analyzed better....
yeah...some place with a 3-letter name. "hey fred, we got some joker here that just
cut the tag off a mattress.......better call in a drone strike!"
Old 06-14-15, 10:07 AM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
It's not always about knowing where you are but often I roll into a place and then roll out only to find out later that I missed something because I didn't know the town and never bothered to check.

This is the part that really makes me shake my head. Never bothered to check. If you might not be bothered to take a pro-active stance on looking into where you are and what there is to see or do there, but want an app to do that for you...

I'm all for technology, taking my smartphone really makes my tour more enjoyable in that I can monitor my business and banking, keep in touch in multiple ways, and know that it will help me find car rental, bus station, whatever in case I need to get back to an ailing/aging family member. But its a tool, not a crutch.
Old 06-14-15, 02:28 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've made dumplings on tour although not steamed. They're pretty easy although potstickers are far easier.

If I had a titanium wok that I could take with me, I'd be eating really well on most of the tour. I'd probably cycle between drunken noodles, pad thai, and rice w/ baby bok choy + garlic sauce..

As it is, pho is like $.25/bowl minus the meat and basil and the noodles are pretty good for carbs.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Here is what I would want in an appetizer for touring (we were talking food right?): Handmade steamed vegetable dumplings. Obviously hard to carry touring but maybe they might exist in a small local Chinese restaurant I might visit after a long hard day in the saddle or maybe I might be at a warmshowers and someone can cook or maybe they just are there waiting for me.

I would go fried but I feel like I wouldn't need the extra oil while touring and would want something a little lighter.
Old 06-14-15, 02:30 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes, not having things planned is far better than planning out everything. I'll admit that thought it works far better in most of the world but not as well in the USA...

Originally Posted by shipwreck
This is the part that really makes me shake my head. Never bothered to check. If you might not be bothered to take a pro-active stance on looking into where you are and what there is to see or do there, but want an app to do that for you...

I'm all for technology, taking my smartphone really makes my tour more enjoyable in that I can monitor my business and banking, keep in touch in multiple ways, and know that it will help me find car rental, bus station, whatever in case I need to get back to an ailing/aging family member. But its a tool, not a crutch.
Old 06-14-15, 03:29 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sometimes, not having things planned is far better than planning out everything. I'll admit that thought it works far better in most of the world but not as well in the USA...
Why does the USA call for more planing? I don't plan much further than where I'll stop tonight. And I frequently change that plan, and quite often the destination is hardly specific.
Old 06-14-15, 10:14 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
Why does the USA call for more planing? I don't plan much further than where I'll stop tonight. And I frequently change that plan, and quite often the destination is hardly specific.
throughout a lot of the world they have information centers in all the little towns that will assist in finding lodging, food, etc. The US doesn't usually have those and when they have something like them they've been closed whenever I've stopped in..
Old 06-14-15, 10:37 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

throughout a lot of the world they have information centers in all the little towns that will assist in finding lodging, food, etc. The US doesn't usually have those and when they have something like them they've been closed whenever I've stopped in..
While that is true ... I suspect there's still a good chance you could find a quiet road and camp in the ditch throughout the US if necessary.
Old 06-14-15, 10:39 PM
iconicflux
Fredly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah you probably could. Unfortunately, I have a strange fear of ticks that sometimes limits my campsite choices.

While that is true ... I suspect there's still a good chance you could find a quiet road and camp in the ditch throughout the US if necessary.
Old 06-14-15, 10:42 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

We travelled around the world with little notebooks which served us very well. We were able to do any business that needed attending to. We could keep in touch. I was able to process and post all the photos I took. And of course, we could do a Google search for anything we needed along the way, if we wanted to locate something. No extra apps need. And much of the time the notebooks were off and we were just out there, finding our way.
Old 06-14-15, 10:44 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

yeah you probably could. Unfortunately, I have a strange fear of ticks that sometimes limits my campsite choices.
Ummm ... you're going to find ticks in "official" campgrounds too.

One of my favourite campgrounds in Manitoba was thick with poison ivy and ticks. There were warning signs posted, and although I didn't go off into the bush around each campsite, I always ended up with ticks on me.
Old 06-14-15, 10:54 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

What I'd like in an app ... and I might even be prompted to get some sort of phone or device to use the app ... is a calorie tracker. Those exist, you're thinking, but what I'm thinking is this ...

I'd like to be able to load up my plate with food, run a scanner over it, and have it tell me exactly what I've got there in the way of calories, carbs, protein, fat, vitamins and minerals. Or if I order one of those lovely German ice creams we ate when we cycled the Rhine Route, I could scan them and be horrified by the number of calories they had. Or if I am considering a muffin at a buffet breakfast, I can scan it to see if it is a better choice or worse choice than the toast and jam.

And of course this wouldn't just be for touring ... in fact, I'd probably rarely use it while touring. It would be much more useful for everyday calorie counting purposes.
Old 06-14-15, 10:56 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,949 Times in 2,641 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Yum-me!
Yes indeedy

I've made dumplings on tour although not steamed. They're pretty easy although potstickers are far easier.

If I had a titanium wok that I could take with me, I'd be eating really well on most of the tour. I'd probably cycle between drunken noodles, pad thai, and rice w/ baby bok choy + garlic sauce..

As it is, pho is like $.25/bowl minus the meat and basil and the noodles are pretty good for carbs.
A TI wok would be sweet. There are at least 3 places near me that make a delicious tofu and vegetable pho and one that is pretty good but not great, it is awesome. Plus I do have a whole smattering of delicious Thai places with great Pad Kee Mao (drunken noodles).

I took a look around the internet and found one supposedly full Ti wok but it is coated in silicone or something which flakes off. Maybe I might talk to MSR or Snow Peak and see if they can't whip one up for us.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.