Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Computer vs Smartphone (or both)

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.
View Poll Results: Which do you use while commuting?
Bike Computer
35.14%
Smartphone
21.62%
Both
16.22%
Neither one
27.03%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-17, 07:58 PM
kjmillig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do you use a bike computer only, a smartphone only, both, or neither one while commuting?
Old 07-01-17, 08:02 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kjmillig
Do you use a bike computer only, a smartphone only, or both?
I used to use a polar bike computer and it was good, but now I use an iPhone 7 plus with motifit ride and it's much better. More data than you can shake a stick at. One problem though, the elevation is always way off. My other gps apps are right on so I don't think it's the phone.
Old 07-01-17, 10:27 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Not really a bike computer, but my VivoActive HR tracker with a cadence sensor. Plus my phone since I started using it way before the tracker and have my history on it.
Old 07-02-17, 07:16 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
I use a bike computer. I just want current time, current speed, distance, temperature and average speed. I used to be interested in cumulative distance over the year, but not so much anymore. I tried a couple of smart phone GPS apps, but it took too much involvement for my taste, and the accuracy through downtown (Colorado Springs) was not good.

But for those who want to track, chart, analyze and share, you can't beat the convenience and flexibility of a smartphone.
Old 07-02-17, 07:34 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Neither. Arrival at destination after a safe ride is the only metric that counts for me. Same thing as driving or riding the subway.
Old 07-02-17, 09:02 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Both, but only rarely do I use either one on commutes. In the mornings I use a "sweat-meter" - how damp my jersey is - trying to keep that to a minimum to skip the shower at work. The bike computer, used for speed only, is mainly for a reality check on perceived effort. On the more rare occasion that I do use Strava on the way home, it's on the phone, in my pocket.
Old 07-02-17, 09:15 AM
RunForTheHills

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I record my commutes with my GPS watch and only take the bike computer on longer weekend rides. The only time I use my phone as a GPS is in the car.
Old 07-02-17, 10:31 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I haven't gotten lost going to or from work in years. At least without planning to!

Neither.
Old 07-02-17, 03:05 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Neither. I use a Garmin Edge 1000 with a speed sensor on the wheel. Also have a cadence sensor and HRM if I want more numbers.
Old 07-02-17, 04:17 PM
lost_in_endicot

Bikes: Electra Loft 7i, Fuji Crosstown 2.5, Gravity Liberty FB, Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I use a Sigma BC5.12 on one bike. Nothing on the others. I have a nice Sachs Huret Multito I want to put on my Loft at some point. I just like keeping track of the mileage.
Old 07-02-17, 04:28 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
I don't see any need for info of any kind while commuting. It's a relatively short trip on a known course, so what else could I need to know.

If I were a surgeon, I'd probably keep a cell phone in my back pocket in case someone had to reach me in an emergency, but I'm not so I don't.

Though I don't use one on tours, I can see the use of a cell phone or GPS for navigating or making arrangements on the fly, and I'll probably start taking a smart phone for lining up hotels near the end of the day, if only a means to shop for better rates.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-02-17, 05:01 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Neither one. I leave at the same time every day. I arrive at work at the same time, give or take five. I don't need no stinking computer to tell me that I'm only doing 18 km/h into a miserable headwind!
Old 07-02-17, 05:11 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Garmin EDGE 810 for all bike rides, from a commute to a century to a ride to the store. All rides are uploaded to Strava once they are done. Keeping excellent track so far this year of all rides, miles per bike, etc. Have lived here in town for 39 years so getting lost really isn't an issue. Have found that the GPS unit is more accurate than just running Strava on my phone, and it saves the battery on the phone.
Old 07-02-17, 06:00 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I voted neither one, even though I do have a bike computer on one bike. But I've mostly been riding my commutes fixed gear, and those bikes have nothing on 'em. And since I've never had a cell phone of any sort, there's none of that nonsense.
Old 07-02-17, 06:33 PM
number1bike

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity 1975, Mongoose Threshold 1995

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Simplicity and reliability has its value

I have used my Cateye for 12 years and 56,000 miles, in winter and summer. An iPhone would be better for the wealth of data but simplicity and reliability has its value.
Old 07-02-17, 07:52 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I have started using the phone in addition to a Garmin 520 so I can broadcast livetrack and see text messages.- really the phone is only for emergency location since I do ride out on some trails.
Old 07-02-17, 08:20 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I'm really only interested in total mileage and current speed, and hate the thought of wasting cellphone battery life to do the job. So I use the cheapest wired bike computers I can get.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-02-17, 08:26 PM
TenSpeedV2

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I voted neither one, even though I do have a bike computer on one bike. But I've mostly been riding my commutes fixed gear, and those bikes have nothing on 'em. And since I've never had a cell phone of any sort, there's none of that nonsense.
Are you serious? Curious to know what your age is.
Old 07-02-17, 09:49 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
Are you serious? Curious to know what your age is.
Absolutely serious. It tickles me that so many can't fathom getting through life without 24/7 phone access. It wasn't all that long ago that EVERYBODY somehow managed to survive without cell phones. Only kids and young adults haven't.

On top of all the money I have saved (well over $10,000!) by not buying a phone and paying for monthly service, I rather like not ever being pestered by it... and the reaction I get when people learn I don't have one!

Oh, I'm 56.
Old 07-02-17, 09:58 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Absolutely serious. It tickles me that so many can't fathom getting through life without 24/7 phone access. It wasn't all that long ago that EVERYBODY somehow managed to survive without cell phones. Only kids and young adults haven't.

On top of all the money I have saved (well over $10,000!) by not buying a phone and paying for monthly service, I rather like not ever being pestered by it... and the reaction I get when people learn I don't have one!

Oh, I'm 56.
What are you?? Some kind of caveman?
Old 07-02-17, 09:59 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts

Oh, I'm 56.
I'm with you. I had cell phones for a few years because I relied on them for business, but rarely used them for anything else. BTW - that when cell phones were just cell phones, before they got smart.

Currently I have a cell phone on a pay as you go plan that ends up costing me about $100/year. I got it because it's cheaper than a land line, and it lives where my home phone used to. I will occasionally take it out of the house, but that's the exception, and everyone knows not be expect me to be reachable 24/4.

Like you, I'm kind of surprised that what a short time was a luxury for the rich became a necessity for everyone.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-02-17, 09:59 PM
TenSpeedV2

Oh, I'm 56.
I don't know anyone that doesn't have one, not out of want, but out of need. I know a lot of people in the medical field, and they take call and you need to be available at a moment's notice. Most of the time I don't need one, but I did get one call late one night back in 2008 that changed my life forever. After that call, I have mine with me 24/7/365. I don't always answer it, or reply to emails or texts, but I do know that I will never almost miss a call like I did that night.
Old 07-02-17, 10:18 PM
RunForTheHills

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Interesting. I am a consultant (computer networking). I have carried a cell phone since the early 90's and wore a pager before that. There was a transition period where I carried both and only turned the phone on to return a page. If I had never used a cell phone, I would be a lot poorer today or in a different career. I spend a lot more on travel for work than I do on the cell phone. It is just the cost of doing business.
Old 07-02-17, 10:50 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Garmin 500
Old 07-02-17, 11:12 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
CatEye Strada Cadence, and I pretty much keep it set on cadence. Monitoring my cadence bumped my comfortable ride distance up by quite a bit within a month of getting the CatEye. Until my phone battery started getting unreliable, I was using Strava as well to keep track of daily/weekly/monthly mileage.

Seriously considering one of the Lezyne GPS computers with cadence and HR, since adding GPS to the computer would keep me from needing to keep the phone active if I start doing some light to moderate touring. Even with a new battery, the phone is only good for 2-4 hours of active GPS tracking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.