Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Arkel vs. Lone Peak Panniers

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 09-20-20, 07:08 AM
AMoney

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

I've had Lone Peak P-500 panniers for eight years and have gotten good usage out of them. They are now wearing out and I will need to replace them soon. I am considering buying these panniers again. I'm also considering buying Arkel Dolphins. For me, having top-loading panniers and some pockets is really important. I used to have Arkel panniers and I liked the features but sometimes had difficulties mounting the panniers. Occasionally, a pannier would fall off mid ride. I've never had this problem with my Lone Peak panniers. Has anyone else had this problem with Arkel panniers? If so, what can be done about it? Thanks!
Old 09-20-20, 06:08 PM
AngeloDolce

Bikes: Many English 3 Speeds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I've actually been favorably surprised by the Arkel mounting system. I will note that I am careful to make sure the cams are fully engaged when I mount the bags. My rack has several tubes for support (more than standard triangle) so I make sure the cam has rotated all the way up to the top rail on the rack, and is not only partially rotated against a vertical support.

The plastic mount on my Ortlieb broke when I bumped a rail on a pedestrian bridge; the Arkel has metal hardware. My experience so far is that my Arkels have solid mounts that stay on firmly when mounted carefully.

I'm not sure what model Arkel I have (looks like an unused older set donated to the local bike coop), but the hardware looks like the current hardware on the Arkel site.
Old 09-20-20, 06:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
I love my Arkel GT-54s and probably wouldn't go differently if I had to buy again. They are fantastic panniers with a great mounting system and extreme durability. I have never lost one or had one come loose and especially if you adjust them correctly and double check them before you head off.
Old 09-20-20, 08:22 PM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Lone Peak fan, one of the lightest panniers out there. Arkels are much beefier but also weigh more. Light but solid, used a bag for commuting for 15 years as well as some tours. I have used for touring but usually go ultra light and don't use bags. I do like their pockets, helps me keep organized. Their mounting system is simple and solid. One hook broke but I had used it daily for about 10 years, easily replaced and repaired.
Old 09-22-20, 06:47 AM
AMoney

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Has anyone had experience with the Arkel waterproof panniers? I'm most interested in the Dolphin 48s. I noticed that they don't have compression straps in the front. Do the closure buckles on the sides serve the same function of compressing the pack so that items don't rattle around if the pannier is half empty?
Old 09-22-20, 12:40 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I don't have experience with Arkel, but I am a committed long-term fan of Lone Peaks. I still have a pair I got in the early 1990s. The elastic cord on the hook is shot, but everything else is great still.

Waterproof panniers can be a dual-edged sword. You have to be very careful of stuff getting and staying damp, whereas you can just pack your clothes in plastic bags.