Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Koga Miyata RoadWinner Identification

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-21-20, 11:37 AM
vp1337

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 33 Posts

Hey everyone!

My friend recently got hold of an alleged Koga Miyata RoadWinner, with mismatched components. He says it's aluminium (you can see it on the welds and the dropout bonds as well). Could you folks help identify it? I didn't manage to find anything like this in the official brochures.
Cheers, thanks in advance!

Old 09-23-20, 09:57 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
Looks it might be a respray. Some of the common Koga-Miyata stickers (e.g. frame material near the top of the seat tube Alloy 7005, frame size near the bottom bracket and the 'handbuilt by Koga') are missing and I've never seen a Koga-Miyata with just Miyata on the downtube. I have seen some with Koga-Miyata on the downtube and only Miyata on the seat tube (See this steel example).

Honestly, the thin tubing, ugly welds, strange place for a frame number and the weird stickers make me think this is a low end steel frame that someone resprayed to be something it is not.
Try putting a magnet on the frame tubing and see if it is actually aluminum or just welded steel. Because virtually all of their steel frames were lugged and their aluminum frames were welded but had thicker tubing. Plus they didn't have a chrome fork and an old-school headset. All original bikes had roller bearing headsets with a taller stack height.

It's not a bad looking frame but not sure this is a Koga-Miyata.

EDIT: You could try posting in the Show us your Koga-Miyata thread and see if anybody else knows more about it.
Old 09-24-20, 05:18 AM
vp1337

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Looks it might be a respray. Some of the common Koga-Miyata stickers (e.g. frame material near the top of the seat tube Alloy 7005, frame size near the bottom bracket and the 'handbuilt by Koga') are missing and I've never seen a Koga-Miyata with just Miyata on the downtube. I have seen some with Koga-Miyata on the downtube and only Miyata on the seat tube (See this steel example).

Honestly, the thin tubing, ugly welds, strange place for a frame number and the weird stickers make me think this is a low end steel frame that someone resprayed to be something it is not.
Try putting a magnet on the frame tubing and see if it is actually aluminum or just welded steel. Because virtually all of their steel frames were lugged and their aluminum frames were welded but had thicker tubing. Plus they didn't have a chrome fork and an old-school headset. All original bikes had roller bearing headsets with a taller stack height.

It's not a bad looking frame but not sure this is a Koga-Miyata.

EDIT: You could try posting in the Show us your Koga-Miyata thread and see if anybody else knows more about it.
Hi JaccoW, thank you very much for your input, I'm going to post it there as well. Cheers!