Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Dirty Tricks.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Dirty Tricks.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-11, 11:10 AM
Lou Skannon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dirty Tricks.

This seems a nice, friendly, helpful forum; but we all know that there are real evil goings-on in the rufty-tufty nitty-gritty real world of cycle touring.
Let's hear what you really get upto!
Three of my favorites, to start things off.

How to slow down a faster touring companion:
When they are not looking; whip out their seat post and put a handful of sand in the frame tube. Do this every day and they will get slower and slower while you get fitter and faster.

How to speed up a slower touring companion:
Sprint away at the start of the day and then hide up. Wait till they go past and then follow along; watching as they chase after you, trying to catch up.

How to annoy a slow hill climber:
Arrive at the summit 10 minutes before your companion; rest and relax. When they arrive; immeadiatly hand them a small piece of chocolate and say,
" Right then, let's crack-on ."
Old 07-11-11, 03:02 PM
Gus Riley
HomeBrew Master!

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a Surly LHT with 26" wheels. I have to work a bit harder to keep up with my 700m equipped riding partners. But I'm also the mechanic...they break, they have to wait for me to catch up.

I really have no problems with being a bit slower. In the end I usually catch up because I'm the stronger rider. But to me, when on tour, the ride is about my progress, my tour, not the other fellows. We all meet up at the next overnight town and share the day's experiences.

Last edited by Gus Riley; 07-11-11 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-11-11, 03:09 PM
zzOtherlandzz

Bikes: 2011 Rocky Mountain Vertex 29'r, 2007 Trek 1500 -- 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara -- 2006 Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc (converted to touring bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All I can say is....... LOL tooo funny!!
Old 07-11-11, 04:02 PM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I gather you like to ride alone.....
Old 07-11-11, 08:46 PM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gus Riley
I ride a Surly LHT with 26" wheels. I have to work a bit harder to keep up with my 700m equipped riding partners. But I'm also the mechanic...they break, they have to wiat for me to catch up.
LOL, That's me on group rides... 26" LHT is awesomesauce!
Old 07-11-11, 09:14 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I have a friend that I tour with, people find it strange that we ride at different paces but tour together. If I rode along with my friend we would be with each other 24/7, that would drive us out of our minds. Its nice to have different adventures and discuss them at night.
Old 07-12-11, 09:06 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
there is a long, storied history of sneaking rocks into a fellow climbers' rucksack that translates well to the bicycling arena,

but any more sinister than that and it's treading the thin ice of maliciousness. Hiding on friends until they pass is also good clean road fun IMO.
Old 07-12-11, 10:06 AM
jr59

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Please remind me NOT to go with you anywhere on a bike!
Old 07-12-11, 10:10 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by jr59
Please remind me NOT to go with you anywhere on a bike!
+1 If the OP would actually do any of those things I prefer to avoid them.

FWIW, I tend to actually ride with my companions if I tour with them. Sometimes we do split up on very long climbs if paces prove incompatible.
Old 07-12-11, 12:35 PM
mycoatl
Sasquatch Crossing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm slower than my wife, so my sneaky trick was buying us a tandem for touring. Now she can't get away from me.
Old 07-12-11, 02:37 PM
antokelly

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the guy i usually tour with is a very strong hill climber not fast but steady ,he really cracks me up when i see him disappear on the long climbs. we always agree to wait at the top of any hill so as not to lose one another of course it's him who makes these rules as he is always over the top long before me.
so what i do now to really piss him off is go as slow as i possible can, sometimes when he's out of sight i will get off relax for a few minutes then gently do my own thing until we meet up.
he's usually like a mad man when we do eventually meet at the top saying i should practice more on hills .
dum de dum ,dum de dee .
Old 07-12-11, 03:02 PM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If a partner is usually out front, hook a bungy cord to his cycle shorts and put the other end on your handlebar. The more they try to get away, the closer you will be.

If the partner brags endlessly about his waterproof Ortliebs, leave his gear in the bags and fill them with water. (but only if you have a current will and your life insurance is up to date.)
Old 07-13-11, 07:25 AM
uciflylow
Still on two wheels!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is all too funny! So far all my tours have been solo, and maby for good reasons! I don't think I could tour days on end with a prankster, but than's just me.
That said, we have a three man tour planned in Sept. and we all have different ridding styles. Three old cousins who where close as teens hooking up for a trip on roads never traveled by any of us. One a dedicated commuter, one a racer, and me, an all arounder. The racer may have to cary a few extra rocks in his panniers, now that you mention it!
Old 07-13-11, 08:05 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by uciflylow
I don't think I could tour days on end with a prankster, but than's just me.
Me either, on a tour tensions between participants tend to run high enough already.

The racer may have to cary a few extra rocks in his panniers, now that you mention it!
No need for rocks... On trips where I was not alone we distributed "community gear", food, and other shared items with strength and pace in mind. It works well up to a point.
Old 07-13-11, 08:10 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
This is all too funny! So far all my tours have been solo, and maby for good reasons! I don't think I could tour days on end with a prankster, but than's just me.
That said, we have a three man tour planned in Sept. and we all have different ridding styles. Three old cousins who where close as teens hooking up for a trip on roads never traveled by any of us. One a dedicated commuter, one a racer, and me, an all arounder. The racer may have to cary a few extra rocks in his panniers, now that you mention it!
A singular rock in the luggage of the cousin who's the fast one will provide a huge laugh at the campsite when he discovers it at the bottom of the pannier. keep your helmet handy to ward off the flying projectile.
Old 07-13-11, 10:51 AM
tanslacks

Bikes: Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me... It's a matter of what is this current tour about. I plan solo tours to do my own thing, my own pace, rests, meals and campsites. I plan partner tours to be with the partner and share the trip. So I guess I have not had these problems mentioned earlier. I have found that I learn so much on both types of trips.

No matter what... every tour should be a pleasure... enjoy the hills, rain, wind, views, partners and time alone. No tricks needed
Old 07-13-11, 11:00 AM
Lou Skannon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by antokelly
the guy i usually tour with is a very strong hill climber not fast but steady ,he really cracks me up when i see him disappear on the long climbs. we always agree to wait at the top of any hill so as not to lose one another of course it's him who makes these rules as he is always over the top long before me.
so what i do now to really piss him off is go as slow as i possible can, sometimes when he's out of sight i will get off relax for a few minutes then gently do my own thing until we meet up.
he's usually like a mad man when we do eventually meet at the top saying i should practice more on hills .
dum de dum ,dum de dee .
I often wonder if I have been on the receiving end of this disgraceful trick; often thinking how somebody can ride so slow and not fall over sideways.
Old 07-13-11, 02:14 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 291 Posts
Ways to slow down your touring buddy:

1. Stop to take group pictures.

2. If your buddy is already way out ahead, just mention you saw the most amazing _____. Similarly, shout out, "Look at that over there!". When your partner stops to look and asks "what?", say "Oh, never mind. I guess I was seeing things.".

3. Claim to have a mechanical problem that needs figuring out.

4. Claim to have left your ______ back at the last rest stop. Once you stop to turn back, have it sitting on top of your pannier and say, "Oh, there it is!"

5. Bring a $100 bill with you. The next time your buddy rides out of sight, pull the $100 bill out when you catch up to him and say,"Look what I found on the side of the road!" If he pulls out of sight again, Pull out a wad of ones and change. When you catch him and say, "Look what was on the side of the road this time!" The next time he begins to pull ahead shout, "I think I see something on the side of the road!" He's bound to stop to take a look.

6. Find out your buddies interests and skills are. Try to get him talking about those. If he's really into it, he's bound to want to hang back to share his passions.
Old 07-13-11, 02:35 PM
EriktheFish
Silly Party Member

Bikes: Rans Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lou Skannon
This seems a nice, friendly, helpful forum; but we all know that there are real evil goings-on in the rufty-tufty nitty-gritty real world of cycle touring.
Note to self:
-Never tour with someone named Lou Skannon.
-If I meet up with Lou Skannon, introduce him to the "fingers in a cup of warm water at midnight while he is sleeping" trick. The smell of urine in his sleeping bag will remind him not to piss off fellow tourists with adolescent tricks.

Last edited by EriktheFish; 07-13-11 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-13-11, 02:37 PM
antokelly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lou Skannon
I often wonder if I have been on the receiving end of this disgraceful trick; often thinking how somebody can ride so slow and not fall over sideways.
btw lou i meant to say this is a brilliant thread just how the hell did you come up with it ,
you must have one devilish sense of humor i love it.
Old 07-13-11, 02:40 PM
antokelly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mtnbud
Ways to slow down your touring buddy:

1. Stop to take group pictures.

2. If your buddy is already way out ahead, just mention you saw the most amazing _____. Similarly, shout out, "Look at that over there!". When your partner stops to look and asks "what?", say "Oh, never mind. I guess I was seeing things.".

3. Claim to have a mechanical problem that needs figuring out.

4. Claim to have left your ______ back at the last rest stop. Once you stop to turn back, have it sitting on top of your pannier and say, "Oh, there it is!"

5. Bring a $100 bill with you. The next time your buddy rides out of sight, pull the $100 bill out when you catch up to him and say,"Look what I found on the side of the road!" If he pulls out of sight again, Pull out a wad of ones and change. When you catch him and say, "Look what was on the side of the road this time!" The next time he begins to pull ahead shout, "I think I see something on the side of the road!" He's bound to stop to take a look.

6. Find out your buddies interests and skills are. Try to get him talking about those. If he's really into it, he's bound to want to hang back to share his passions.
mad mad mad brilliant stuff this thread has cheered me up no end.
Old 07-13-11, 03:17 PM
Lou Skannon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I go on tour with a friend, it is usually all good clean fun. It is when you meet a fellow cycle tourer along the way when things turn ugly. Often riding with someone of a different nationality; I find I am riding for my King and country.When riding with a woman; I am riding for my gender.
Once I spent half a day desperately trying to keep up with this guy; who then told me, in the evening, that he was flying home in two days because he was competing in an Iron Man triathalon.
On that occasion there was only one thing for it: drink him under the table, regardless of the cost.
That slowed him up. The fitter the person: the lower the alcohol threshold.
Old 07-13-11, 04:41 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Not really Dirty, just how it was to be Managed..

AYH arraigned Cycle tours, "leader" does Sweep,
... and is responsible for disbursing the Group's fund$.

They all paid in to National and then the leader got the check.

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-13-11 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-13-11, 08:16 PM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When mountaineering... I knew of a guy that would slip heavy stuff he didn't want to carry up the mountain into his buddies backpack when he wasn't looking Can't remember just who that person was though.
Old 07-13-11, 08:28 PM
MassiveD

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have two or three ways to reach out and "pull past" on hills. Once they get wise to all these tricks they try it on. That's when they learn I have two or three ways of ditching people who try it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.