Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campy Veloce Brifters

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Campy Veloce Brifters

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-12, 08:06 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Campy Veloce Brifters

I think I read somewhere that these will work with Shimano/Sram 10-speed drivetrain without any special adapters like Travel Agent etc. I'm kind of intrigued... is my information correct please... or should I just stick to Shimano brifters?

If I go into the Veloce, am I just buying in to a PITA?
Old 10-22-12, 08:18 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
I think I read somewhere that these will work with Shimano
No.

/Sram 10-speed drivetrain
Probably.

SRAM's cable travel is close enough to Campagnolo's for Lenard Zinn to be happy mating a Campagnolo Centaur 10 shifter to an SRAM red rear derailleur+cogs. He measures total pull at 27.9mm from a SRAM lever and 27.0mm for Campagnolo which is about 3% less.

https://velonews.competitor.com/2008/...-why-not_73404

SRAM pulls 3mm for every shift.

Campagnolo 10 speed shifters pull about 2.5mm 5 times, 3mm twice, and 3.5mm twice.

without any special adapters like Travel Agent etc. I'm kind of intrigued... is my information correct please... or should I just stick to Shimano brifters?

For a Shimano derailleur you'd need a JTek shiftmate. Assuming you got NOS 2010 levers and not current production Powershift levers which work like the Shimano/SRAM escapement mechanism they'd let you shift up to five cogs smaller. Price would be $125 with cables. And they'd weigh less than Dura Ace 7900 levers.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 10-22-12 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-22-12, 08:22 PM
Steve530

Bikes: Klein

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think that would work. Read this.
Old 10-22-12, 09:11 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have Campy Chorus 10-spd brifters on both tandem and single mated to SRAM 10-spd (Exact Actuation) RD. The single uses a Rival mid-cage and the tandem an X.9 long cage. Both shift near perfectly. I might give a slight edge to the Rival due to the shorter cage and the shorter RD cable.
Old 10-22-12, 09:24 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
They won't work with a Shimano 10S drivetrain, and I wouldn't expect them to work with SRAM, but they definitely work with a Shimano EIGHT speed drivetrain.

I have a set on my road bike and it shifts a Shimano 8S cassette/RD perfectly, the cable pull is the same. Repeating this link because it is well worth reading: https://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=3946
Old 10-22-12, 10:19 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Campy 10s will work with Shimano 10s only if you use the older, pre-2001, Campy rear derailleur. It's right there in the 2nd chart "Campagnolo & Sram mechs".
Old 10-23-12, 08:42 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
The shimano/sram drivetrain does not make sense. After those first five cable pulls, you only have 12.5mm of cable pulled, which is a lot closer to the SRAM's shifter pull of 12mm for four pulls, not the 15mm for five pulls. The RD would be off location by most of a cog's spacing.

It's NOT the total or average pull that's important, it's the RD position after each pull. Campy's unequal pulls are not suited to use with a uniform pull RD.
Old 10-23-12, 08:44 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by anixi
Campy 10s will work with Shimano 10s only if you use the older, pre-2001, Campy rear derailleur. It's right there in the 2nd chart "Campagnolo & Sram mechs".
Campy 10 brifters will work with Shimano 10 cassettes and either a Shimano or Campy rd if you use the appropriate Jtek Shiftmate. I'm using Campy 10-speed Ergos with a Shimano 10-speed cassette and a Shimano Ultegra rd (RD-6500 9-speed version but it doesn't matter) and a Shiftmate #3 and shifting is perfect, equally good as a different bike with all-Campy 10-speed brifters, cassette and rd.
Old 10-23-12, 09:26 AM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Bikes: Schwinn Peloton Ventana El Saltamontes Spec Stumpjumper Conversion Gravel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Campy 10 brifters will work with Shimano 10 cassettes and either a Shimano or Campy rd if you use the appropriate Jtek Shiftmate. I'm using Campy 10-speed Ergos with a Shimano 10-speed cassette and a Shimano Ultegra rd (RD-6500 9-speed version but it doesn't matter) and a Shiftmate #3 and shifting is perfect, equally good as a different bike with all-Campy 10-speed brifters, cassette and rd.
Why then did ctc mention Campy 10s with Shimano 10s using the older Campy RD?
Old 10-23-12, 10:23 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by billydonn
I think I read somewhere that these will work with Shimano/Sram 10-speed drivetrain without any special adapters like Travel Agent etc. I'm kind of intrigued... is my information correct please... or should I just stick to Shimano brifters?

I have been riding Campy 10-speed shifters with either a Shimano or SRAM 10-speed cassette (same cog spacing) and the older generation Campy derailleurs. These are the derailleurs from 1992 to 2000, after which Campagnolo inexplicably changed their derailleur acutuation ratio. Anyway, this combo works absolutely perfectly. You can do the same trick with 9-speed, which I have riding for the last few weeks. That is, Campy 9-speed Ergopower with a 9-speed Shimano/SRAM cassette and the older Campy RD. Flawless performance.

You can also run Campy 10-speed shifters with a Shimano 8-speed cassette and Shimano rear derailleurs. This is a sensible combination, as the chains and cassettes are cheap. It is also easier to find 8-speed cassettes with a 13-tooth #1 cog (or borrowed from 7-speed), as opposed to the worthless 11 and 12-tooth cogs found in the 10-speed cassettes.

And since, 8 and 9-speed cassettes do not necessarily have the aluminum spider that is required to lock the big cogs together on 10-speed cassettes, you more easily mix 'n match cogs with the older cassettes. I tend to wear out certain cogs; the older cassettes allows me the flexibility to just replace these specific worn cogs that I scavenge from discarded cassettes.
Old 10-23-12, 10:27 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Why then did ctc mention Campy 10s with Shimano 10s using the older Campy RD?
I guess that works but good luck finding a Campy rd that old in good condition.
Old 10-23-12, 11:05 AM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I guess that works but good luck finding a Campy rd that old in good condition.
I have at least three in great shape in my parts bin atm...
Old 10-23-12, 11:23 AM
Dave Mayer

I have at least three in great shape in my parts bin atm...
Embarrased to admit that I have 12. But I've never paid more than about $50 for one (8-speed Record).

Thank God for Ebay. At any one time there are dozens of 8 and early 9-speed Campy derailleurs for sale. No point in asking at a bike shop for these, but then that goes for any product more than a couple of years old.

I do spend too much money on bike stuff - almost all sourced via. Ebay.
Old 10-23-12, 02:24 PM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I have a set of veloce 9 speed shifters and derailleurs running a SRAM chain over a shimano cassette.

From what I can gather, only the 9 speed systems are interchangeable like this- you still have to keep the shifters and derailleurs paired by company if you don't want to deal with travel agents/shiftmates.

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 10-24-12, 07:54 AM
DaveSSS 

Originally Posted by IthaDan
I have a set of veloce 9 speed shifters and derailleurs running a SRAM chain over a shimano cassette.

From what I can gather, only the 9 speed systems are interchangeable like this- you still have to keep the shifters and derailleurs paired by company if you don't want to deal with travel agents/shiftmates.
That combination is a relatively poor match, since Campy cog spacing is 4.55mm and Shimano is 4.35mm. There's a lot of over-shifting going on there. Putting a Shimano 10 cassette on a Campy 10 drivetrain creates the same poor match-up, since Campy 10 spacing is 4.15mm and Shimano 10 is 3.95mm.

J-tek makes a shiftmate to cure both mismatches.
Old 10-24-12, 09:04 AM
HillRider

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
+100.
Old 10-24-12, 12:15 PM
Dave Mayer

That combination is a relatively poor match, since Campy cog spacing is 4.55mm and Shimano is 4.35mm. There's a lot of over-shifting going on there. Putting a Shimano 10 cassette on a Campy 10 drivetrain creates the same poor match-up, since Campy 10 spacing is 4.15mm and Shimano 10 is 3.95mm.

I have used a 9-speed Shimano cassette on an otherwise full Campy 9-speed drivetrain. It worked fine; I rode this for months. I couldn't detect any difference between the Shimano and a Campy cogsets.

In my experience, 0.2mm error per cog is within acceptable tolerances of indexed shifting, particularly if there is slight overshift.
Old 10-24-12, 12:52 PM
DaveSSS 

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
I have used a 9-speed Shimano cassette on an otherwise full Campy 9-speed drivetrain. It worked fine; I rode this for months. I couldn't detect any difference between the Shimano and a Campy cogsets.

In my experience, 0.2mm error per cog is within acceptable tolerances of indexed shifting, particularly if there is slight overshift.
If the error didn't accumulate, it wouldn't be a big deal, but it does, so 8 shifts accumulates to a positioning error of 1.6mm, which is 37% off location. To get decent results, it critical to adjust the RD so the error is split both ways from the center of the cassette.
Old 10-24-12, 01:20 PM
Dave Mayer

If the error didn't accumulate, it wouldn't be a big deal, but it does, so 8 shifts accumulates to a positioning error of 1.6mm, which is 37% off location. To get decent results, it critical to adjust the RD so the error is split both ways from the center of the cassette.
Right. You should set up the rear derailleur so that it is perfectly lined-up with the center cog of the cassette. On a 9-speed cassette, sticking a 9-speed Shimano wheel into a Campy drivetrain would result in 0.8mm of cumulative error on both the top and bottom cogs. But since the derailleur travel is locked out on these cogs by the limit screws, the higest cumulative travel error is actually on the 2nd and 8th cogs, which see an error of only 0.6mm. Or a gnat's pubic hair of distance in the context of indexed shifting.

Don't worry about it - it works fine.
Old 10-24-12, 02:45 PM
DaveSSS 

.6mm assumes perfect adjustment, that's a PITA to achieve and it's still 15% off on both ends.
Old 10-24-12, 04:19 PM
anixi
Jack of all trades

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
All I needed to do on mine is adjust for the sweet spot in the middle cog in the rear and I've had absolutely no problems riding the bike. It works just fine, and I've avoided the J-Tek thingy at about $50 including shipping. I'm not a racer and don't need super-ridiculously-precise shifting anyway. It really depends on your budget! If you have the extra money and want the best, get the J-Tec. If you're on a budget and are using used/lower-end components anyway, it doesn't make sense (to some of us) to pay for "perfect". No offense intended, just my $.02 from my budget limited world.
Old 10-25-12, 03:00 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ran Campy 10 speed shifters with Shimano 9 derailleur and cassette. This combination is one on the most common used on tandems and is documented on the post shown by FastJack (post #5). It requires re-routing the derailleur cable on Ultegra 9 speed derailleur referred to as Hubbub routing. This combination shifted flawlessly.