Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Garmin 500 ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-13, 05:12 PM
spivey44

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garmin 500 ?

I need a bit of help. Just got the Garmin 500. Did a ride on road bike and mountain bike. Uploaded to Garmin connect. How do i prompt Garmin to create two separate "files" so when i download I have my road info separate from my mountain info. I know I can look at the date but i'd rather have 2 separate areas in connect.

Can this be done / How?

Thanks.
Old 01-13-13, 12:10 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
There is no way you can separate one saved ride into two on the device or in Garmin Connect, AFAIK. It is possible to edit the files and create two new files, one for each segment of the ride, but that requires a fair amount of knowledge and expertise on how the files are constructed. The normal way to do this in the first place is to Start the ride, Reset it at the end of the first segment, then Start again for the new segment resetting it at the end of that one. This creates and saves two separate rides.

If you want to explore this further, I suggest you go the official Garmin users' forums and bring it up there: https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?219-Edge-500

Last edited by Looigi; 01-13-13 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-14-13, 11:42 AM
ks1g
Because I thought I could

Bikes: November, Trek OCLV, Bianchi Castro Valley commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the problem one file containing 2 rides? Or you uploaded 2 files (one for each ride) and want to be able to select/filter what Garmin reports to tell the difference? See Looigi's suggestions for the 1st problem. For the second, you can edit the type of activity in Garmin Connect. The system has multiple categories for rides - road, trail, indoorl; and can further identify them as transportation, training, race, other events,... I usually do this immediately after uploading ride files while I still remember what I was doing/trying to do. You can export the ride data to a spreadsheet to perform further analysis, or to add criteria you logged separately from the data in Garmin.
Old 01-19-13, 09:58 AM
BykOfALesserGod
Pretty rigid member

Bikes: Sycip Unleaded, Raleigh SS, Trek 1.5, IF Crown Jewel, QR Kilo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In Garmin Connect I break them down into "road biking" for my Trek, "track cycling" for my IF, "recumbent cycling" for my 1X1 and "mountain biking" for my MTB. Not the most accurate terms but it helps me filter my reports.