Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

What gels/bars/pills ect t do you take that you know works?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-13, 08:05 PM
Sdjclevland

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been buying different things to try just to see if I can feel a difference or not. So far the only thing I have taken that I am like "wow this really works I can feel it" is the hammer gels.

Besides this I have taken hammer heed and the fizz and endurolite pills. I can't tell at all if these are doing anything or not. I don't Rey feel any differnt or less tired. I still mix the fizz in one bottle of weather anyways just because.

I have eaten the honey stinger waffles also and again. Not sure if they helped or not.

Just curios if you guys take anything or eat anything that u notice or feel actually works
Old 06-26-13, 08:15 PM
kenji666

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What did the Hammer gels do that made you say "wow this really works I can feel it"?
Old 06-26-13, 08:57 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Yes, can you explain what mean when you say something "really works". What symptoms are you experiencing to determine if something works or not? What feelings are you looking for?

Take electrolytes, for example. I use them (in both pill form and food) on long, hot rides. I've done long, hot rides without them (or with them in limited quantities) before, and usually feel some stomach upset after 6 or 8 hours on the bicycle. But if I take electrolyte pills throughout a long, hot ride (in addition to food with electrolytes), chances are I won't feel any stomach upset on the ride. Therefore, I suppose that the electrolytes are doing what they are supposed to do.

Electrolytes also help prevent hyponatremia (basically where you drink too much plain water, and get sick from it). If I regularly consume electrolytes, I can drink a lot of water and not experience hypomatremia. So I guess if I finish a long ride where I consumed a lot of water because it was hot, and I feel fine ... then the electrolytes worked.

But taking electrolytes isn't going to give me an energy boost or anything like that. I'm not going to take an electrolyte pill at the start of my ride and feel like I'm superwoman.
Old 06-26-13, 09:48 PM
Sdjclevland

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No I hear you. I don't expect to take a electrolyte pill and feel amazing but I have taken them on long rides and am not sure if it matters or not.

The hammer gel I notice if I take it I am less tired after a ride or sleepy and if I take it during my ride it will make me feel better or seem to give me a little boost
Old 06-26-13, 11:06 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Anything with carbs works for me. Bananas, dates, gatorade powder, clif bars, coffee and a cookie etc. I really like honey stinger chews although I wouldn't buy them as they are ridiculously overpriced. They taste good though. I find they all work the same.
Old 06-27-13, 06:18 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Everything works as long as it does not irritate my stomach.
Powerbar energy bars are out but their gels and chews are in. That is the only one I can think of at the moment.
Old 06-27-13, 06:53 AM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like to take a variety of things on the bike and just eat the one I crave most. Sometimes, I'm dying for peanut butter and I eat a Nature Valley peanut butter granola bar and am immediately satisfied. Other times, I crave Powerbar Energy Blasts, and I swear, there is nothing in the world more satisfying at that moment (usually at the top of a big climb). Other times, during long on the rivet sessions, chocolate in the form of a Clif bar or Powerbar is a godsend. My body usually has a very specific idea of what it wants. Also, a protein smoothie in morning before a hard ride often seems to give me extra energy for long rides. The way the protein smoothies manifest themselves, is that my energy level never seems to reach a certain low point that it sometimes does otherwise.
Old 07-05-13, 02:39 PM
Kotts
Recreational Commuter

Bikes: One brand-less build-up, and a Connondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc. A nicer bike than I need, but it was a good deal, so... ;-)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
It seems that everyone is a little different. I find that the Cliff Shot Blocks work well for me when I'm behind on fueling, but otherwise, regular food and an occaisional sports drink does me fine.
Old 07-05-13, 10:27 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I did 40 today with 1600 ft of climbing, temps in the mid 70's till toward the end hit the low 80's. Consumed 1/2 Clif bar, 30 oz Gatorade G2, 1 liter water, and felt OK. I learned to tie the water consumption to temperature. A ride from the mid to high 80's would take almost twice the water. I like Clif bars for the taste, and the fact that you can pinch off a little piece and stick the rest back in the pack and it doesn't make a mess of your Jersey pocket.
Old 07-05-13, 10:47 PM
Mr_Wrench
Bicycle Tinker'er

Bikes: Focus Touring (Vhc.)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear AndroGel is a good gel to give you a boost. If your lady friends start to grow beards, try not to hug them too much.
Old 07-09-13, 09:10 AM
ks1g
Because I thought I could

Bikes: November, Trek OCLV, Bianchi Castro Valley commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Experiment (watch for sales and buy small quantities) and see what works best for you. I keep coming back to Gu gels for refuling mid-ride and discovered the Skratch Labs hydration mixes last summer (they go down MUCH easier for me than just about anything else), with Cytomax for a change of pace/flavor. Honey Stinger waffles taste OK but don't seem to kick in as well for me as the gels, and while gel blocks are relatively easy to eat while riding, I don't care for them. Pre & post ride, normal food. Oatmeal pre-ride and chocloate milk as soon as I get home seem to agree with me. YMMV.
Old 07-09-13, 03:16 PM
cleansheet

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like:
Clif Bar - Peanut Butter
Stinger waffles
Clif chews
Gu berry w/ caffeine
Fig Newmans

Will have some of those on any ride greater than 1.5 hours.
Old 07-09-13, 05:27 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'd be just as happy to eat regular food if convenient - one of the things I like about organized rides. On longer solo rides I just take Clif shot blocks and Clif bars. Oh, and Gatorade; on longer rides I'll drop a Nuun tablet into the Gatorade "just in case".