Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Longer stem or increase in frame size?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-19, 11:32 AM
rmgelston

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am a 16-year-old (so I'm pretty flexible in terms of height difference between the saddle and my handlebars. I am currently riding a 50 cm road bike frame and pretty much breaking every rule set on frame sizing as I am 5' 8". It's now becoming pretty uncomfortable, and I am trying to evaluate whether I should jump up in the frame size or simply purchase a longer stem. Other than cost, what are the pros and cons of each choice? I am focused on climbing with this bike as I have bought a TT bike for when I do long and flat rides. If I do go with a longer stem, will my steering be greatly affected on the descents? Thank you for the help!
Old 10-22-19, 11:59 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
50cm is too small for a 5'8" rider. So there's already reason to get a bigger frame. Plus at 16, you're not going to get any shorter. I'd get a bigger frame.
Likes For caloso:
Old 10-22-19, 12:03 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 216 Posts
Get a bigger frame. 50cm is almost definitely too small and you will never be truly satisfied with the fit.
Old 10-22-19, 03:54 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
A lot depends on the geometry of the bike, I'm 5"7 and my 47cm gravel bike the reach is almost too much.

For what would be a relatively small cost I'd at least try a longer stem and see how it feels, if you want to keep cost down ask around at bike shops as they normally have a "bin" of parts they've switched out and would be cheap to try and if you don't like it then look for a new bike but make sure you get someone measure / fit you for it.

Re the effect on your steering it shouldn't be greatly affected just a tad less responsive ... I'd prefer that way to going to a shorter stem which makes it more "twitchy".
Old 10-22-19, 04:37 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4853 Post(s)
Liked 3,990 Times in 2,589 Posts
If you are still growing, you may not hit the "ideal" fit with your next bike. I'd go that longer stem, see how that feels and have that position as a reference point. Also this delays your time frame for the next bike so you will have done a little more growing and better chances of gettng a bike that will fit you for more than a short while. (Now if you are racing, and someone else is (happily) paying the bill, get a new bike now. But if you have to burn bridges or your savings to get the new bike, go for the stem.)

Ben
Old 10-22-19, 05:05 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 4,544 Times in 3,376 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Plus at 16, you're not going to get any shorter. I'd get a bigger frame.
He may or may not be getting taller though.

If it is just casual riding, commuting, the occasional group rides, I might try to keep the old bike, at least through the winter.

On the other hand, really competitive racing, then it might be worth the upgrade.

A lot depends on the current bike, and the OP's desires. There are good used frames in say a 56cm size that might be worth simply swapping parts.

Or, buying a good used bike.

And, with the end of the season upon us, there are good sales both new, and used.
Old 10-22-19, 05:12 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Post a side pic of you on the bike.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 10-22-19, 05:35 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1842 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 990 Posts
Originally Posted by rmgelston
I am a 16-year-old (so I'm pretty flexible in terms of height difference between the saddle and my handlebars. I am currently riding a 50 cm road bike frame and pretty much breaking every rule set on frame sizing as I am 5' 8". It's now becoming pretty uncomfortable, and I am trying to evaluate whether I should jump up in the frame size or simply purchase a longer stem. Other than cost, what are the pros and cons of each choice? I am focused on climbing with this bike as I have bought a TT bike for when I do long and flat rides. If I do go with a longer stem, will my steering be greatly affected on the descents? Thank you for the help!
Which road bike are you riding?
Old 10-22-19, 07:27 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
A good place to start is the Competitive Cycling site's bike size calculator. It will put you in the ballpark of frame size, seat height, stem length etc.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/S...ulatorBike.jsp
Old 10-23-19, 06:31 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2764 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,434 Posts
Kind of hard to know if you should go with a longer/higher stem or bigger frame without know what stem is on there now.

As someone suggested earlier, at 16 you may still be growing, so there is something to be said for keeping the current bike working longer if you can.

Whatever you decide though, go with what makes you comfortable, not with what people on the internet say you should be riding.

I am 5’10” and ride nothing larger than 50cm road bikes. I learned this theough years of trial and error and confirmed it through a professional 3 hour bike fitting. This flies in the face of everything internet forums say is possible.

Last edited by Kapusta; 10-23-19 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-23-19, 06:58 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Regarding what are the pros and cons of each choice?

For the smaller bike the cons are:
  • you might not be able to make it fit overall
  • a really long stem makes the steering feel different
  • your weight is more forward compared to the front wheel affecting handling
  • shorter line between wheels is slightly less stable in a straight line
pros are:
  • You already have the bike
  • Facilitates low aerodynamic position
  • it might feel more nimble in handling
  • if you get it OK, it's a working spare bike when you get a new one.
Old 10-23-19, 07:11 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 447 Posts
Simply not enough info to comment intelligently. Frame sizing numbers are all over the place. My 51cm LOOK has a shorter reach and head tube than my 48cm Colnago. If the frame is really too small, you'll need a 120mm or longer stem and probably a +6 angle to get the bars up to a decent height.

Height alone means little. I'm only 5'-6" but my leg length is as long as some people 4 inches taller. I used to buy 54 or 55cm traditional frames to fit my leg length, but the reach was always too long.
Old 10-23-19, 07:38 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 633 Posts
Short stems are tough to get used to, they make the steering seem very twitchy. Plus, they put you further back on the bike, with more weight on the back wheel.

I will always go with a frame that allows me to run a longer stem, because that will get more weight distributed toward the front of the bike, and for me, this has always resulted in better breathing, more speed, and better steering control.
Old 10-23-19, 08:54 AM
rmgelston

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Which road bike are you riding?
A Felt F3C
Old 10-23-19, 10:32 AM
DaveSSS 

Without a geometry chart on the F3C, it's still not possible to comment on. I couldn't find one with a google search.

An accurate saddle height would also help.
Old 10-23-19, 10:45 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3536 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 1,849 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Without a geometry chart on the F3C, it's still not possible to comment on. I couldn't find one with a google search.
Found this Felt geometry chart for 2011 F series:

FYI, this is a good place to find Felt info on prior year models.

Old 10-23-19, 10:45 AM
DaveSSS 

Stem length should not affect weight distribution, unless you're making the mistake of moving the saddle to fit the stem length. A bike should be fit with the correct saddle position, relative to the bottom bracket first and then the stem length chosen for a comfortable fit. The weight distribution is mainly determined by the saddle position.

If you have two bikes, with the saddle adjusted to place the rider in the same position relative to the BB, then a bike that needs a longer stem to get the same reach, would not change your breathing, power or speed. It would just have a little more weight on the front wheel, due to a slightly shorter front-center dimension. That bike might also have some toe overlap. A bike with a 10mm shorter stem should fit exactly the same, but probably has a little longer F-C, a little less weight on the front wheel and less or no toe overlap. That's the kind of difference I get between my Colnago (longer reach, 10mm shorter stem) and my LOOK. Both handle just fine on twisting mountain descents.
Old 10-23-19, 10:49 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 4,544 Times in 3,376 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS

An accurate saddle height would also help.
https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/valu...product/12113/

It appears to be a basic horizontal top tube bike, so likely fairly traditional measurements.

However, I'm not seeing any smaller than 54cm online. The OP's bike is likely quite small.

Nonetheless, keep overall goals with cycling, and future growth in mind. But, also don't buy a "forever" bike that is way too tall, and never quite grow into it.
Old 10-23-19, 10:53 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
I was able to find the ETT for a 56cm and it was 57.5cm. I’m going to say that your ETT will be 52cm at most (it’s probably 51.5cm). You are 1” taller than me and probably more flexible. I ride a bike with 54cm ETT and a 120mm stem to give you an idea. Granted your seat will be higher but I’m going to say you would probably need 130-140mm stem. Everything I just said is best guess speculation without seeing you on the bike.
Old 10-23-19, 10:54 AM
DaveSSS 

The OP says he has a 50cm, but only a 48 and 51 are listed. Both have short head tube lengths relative to the TT length. Notice that there is little difference in the F-C for the smallest three sizes

The F3C may date back to 2006.
Old 10-23-19, 11:02 AM
I.B.Roots
Bike Noob

Bikes: Kona, Salsa(s)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
I'm 5'8" with 30" inseam. Usually I buy 54cm frames. Just purchased a Kona in a 52cm because the shop said they run "large".....I am so cramped that I need to get a longer stem.
Old 10-23-19, 12:38 PM
DaveSSS 

Originally Posted by I.B.Roots
I'm 5'8" with 30" inseam. Usually I buy 54cm frames. Just purchased a Kona in a 52cm because the shop said they run "large".....I am so cramped that I need to get a longer stem.
Your post shows why height means so little. I'm 2 inches shorter, buy my cycling inseam is 2.6 inches longer, so my torso may be over 4 inches shorter.

My frame has only 3mm less reach, but I use a 100mm stem and short reach bars with Campy shifters that also have a short reach.

Off the shelf bikes often come with a short stem, so needing a longer one is not unusual.

A 52cm Kona has a standover height of 31 inches. Are you quoting a pants inseam, not a cycling inseam?
Old 10-23-19, 01:57 PM
I.B.Roots
Bike Noob

Bikes: Kona, Salsa(s)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
^ I must be quoting my "pants inseam" because I do not know the difference (of a "cycling inseam").
Old 10-23-19, 02:17 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
I'd say if your stem is like 90-100mm, then just slap on a 120mm with a -10deg try that first.
Old 10-23-19, 05:19 PM
DaveSSS 

Originally Posted by I.B.Roots
^ I must be quoting my "pants inseam" because I do not know the difference (of a "cycling inseam").
Cycling inseam is measured from the floor to firm, saddle-like crotch contact in bare feet. My inseam is 83cm and my saddle height is 73cm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.