Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How do car free people rent cars?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

How do car free people rent cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-16, 07:30 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
I looked into it last year, no you can't.

Where this started was I was calling around to the auto dealerships to rent a car. Several of them rent cars; but do not have insurance. I ended up going with the, expensive, airport rental. They are pretty expensive, and I still need to spring for an $30 for the insurance.
It's generally not advisable to go to the airport outlet unless you need to (i.e. you've just arrived in a country and need to find a way to get around).

Where possible, it is often better to select another outlet, downtown perhaps, or out in a suburb.

If you do your research, you'll discover that Hertz, Budget, Thrifty and other commonly used ones may charge more if you rent from the airport outlet than another outlet. You can usually enter the info online and find out which outlet will offer you the best deal. Of course, you do have to have a way to get to that outlet.

And you don't have to get the $30/day insurance ... however it is advisable. We always do, even though it doubles the cost of the rental.
Old 01-24-16, 07:45 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
It's generally not advisable to go to the airport outlet unless you need to (i.e. you've just arrived in a country and need to find a way to get around).

Where possible, it is often better to select another outlet, downtown perhaps, or out in a suburb.

If you do your research, you'll discover that Hertz, Budget, Thrifty and other commonly used ones may charge more if you rent from the airport outlet than another outlet. You can usually enter the info online and find out which outlet will offer you the best deal. Of course, you do have to have a way to get to that outlet.

And you don't have to get the $30/day insurance ... however it is advisable. We always do, even though it doubles the cost of the rental.
That was why I was trying places other than the airport rental. It turned out that there were none that would rent to me.
Old 01-24-16, 07:56 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

That was why I was trying places other than the airport rental. It turned out that there were none that would rent to me.
So the Hertz (or Thrifty or Budget or whoever you went with) dealers at locations other than the airport wouldn't rent to you? That seems odd.

We just pop our info into the computer to book one, and then turn up and get it.

OK, I'm going through the process now. I picked Hertz just because it is a commonly known car rental company.

I selected Melbourne as my location and picked a downtown location to get the car rather than the airport. I selected an economy car, ignored all the extras, and clicked submit. Here I need to enter my name and email address, phone number, and arrival info if I have it. If I enter my details and click submit, I would get a confirmation number and email which I would present to the location when I get there.

I did the same with New York city ... same deal.

Nowhere does it ask me if I own my own car. The Australian one just adds the insurance into the price. The New York one lists the insurance as an extra. Both seem perfectly happy to rent to me.

Last edited by Machka; 01-24-16 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-24-16, 08:30 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

So the Hertz (or Thrifty or Budget or whoever you went with) dealers at locations other than the airport wouldn't rent to you? That seems odd.

We just pop our info into the computer to book one, and then turn up and get it.

OK, I'm going through the process now. I picked Hertz just because it is a commonly known car rental company.

I selected Melbourne as my location and picked a downtown location to get the car rather than the airport. I selected an economy car, ignored all the extras, and clicked submit. Here I need to enter my name and email address, phone number, and arrival info if I have it. If I enter my details and click submit, I would get a confirmation number and email which I would present to the location when I get there.

I did the same with New York city ... same deal.

Nowhere does it ask me if I own my own car. The Australian one just adds the insurance into the price. The New York one lists the insurance as an extra. Both seem perfectly happy to rent to me.
This is a small town of about 30K, so the other places do not exist here. For rentals it is the airport or the auto dealerships. That is it.
Old 01-24-16, 09:56 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Yeah, I think Machka's advice is good, but it requires you have a national rental chain that's not located at the airport.

I expect dealers rent cars primarily to customers who are leaving their cars at the dealership for service or are otherwise, temporarily without a car, and therefor already have insurance. I think most of the advice is based on getting insurance from a national rental chain. If your best option is a dealership, then for insurance you'll probably have to look at getting insurance directly through an insurance company unless you have some other source of insurance. Dealerships are definitely not set up to help people who don't want to own a car. ;-)
Old 01-24-16, 10:30 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts

I'd think that most people renting cars at airports are doing so for the express reason of "getting around" after arriving by airplane from anywhere else.

Unless "getting around" only involves getting to one location (and return trip to airport) that could also be reached by taxi, shuttle bus, or convenient public transportation from the airport, car rental obtained at the airport is probably the most practical, if not most economical means of "getting around" after arriving by air at a location far from home.

I don't think many air travelers would find your advice to schlep their luggage somehow to a distant car rental location (and repeat the process in reverse for the return trip) in order to save a few bucks all that useful. Either they are traveling for business purposes on the company dime, or on vacation or to an event where wasting hours on end to get to a cheaper car rental place may not be worth the cost in wasted limited time.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 01-24-16 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-24-16, 12:39 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I'd think that most people renting cars at airports are doing so for the express reason of "getting around" after arriving by airplane from anywhere else.

Unless "getting around" only involves getting to one location (and return trip to airport) that could also be reached by taxi, shuttle bus, or convenient public transportation from the airport, car rental obtained at the airport is probably the most practical, if not most economical means of "getting around" after arriving by air at a location far from home.

I don't think many air travelers would find your advice to schlep their luggage somehow to a distant car rental location (and repeat the process in reverse for the return trip) in order to save a few bucks all that useful. Either they are traveling for business purposes on the company dime, or on vacation or to an event where wasting hours on end to get to a cheaper car rental place may not be worth the cost in wasted limited time.
Machka's response specifically mentions that if you're flying in to an airport then renting from the airport might be most practical. The OP specifically mentioned that the airport rental agency was a last resort, so I think we can assume that they were not planning on flying in. Sounds like they were trying to rent in their home town.

But if you are flying in to an airport, I have found that there are often shuttle services to nearby hotels and bus service to the city center. If you wanted to shop around and try to save on rental cars, there are likely options to get around. You point out that many air travelers might find these options less than practical, and you're right. But then this is the car-free/light forum, and I think a lot of in that situation think nothing of hopping on a bus to get around.

Is it worth the extra time/effort? Depends. Sounds like the OP has gone through some effort to find the best deal, so they might think it is worth the effort.
Old 01-24-16, 12:45 PM
Robert C

Originally Posted by Rob_E
Is it worth the extra time/effort? Depends. Sounds like the OP has gone through some effort to find the best deal, so they might think it is worth the effort.
In my case I need to go to a testing centre (job related) about 150mi away. There are no Trains, flights, or busses. I did this once before, last year and rented a car at the airport. I was just looking for a cheaper way.

Normally when I leave town I am going home, (to my wife) and I fly. I work in Kansas and live in Salt Lake. I get home about three times a year.
Old 01-24-16, 04:13 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Depends on where you live. In New York, they will rent a car with a relatively small cash deposit, usually in the range of 2-3x the projected rental fees. The credit card is more about ID confirmation and payment for the rental, then proof of ability to pay for a major repair.

BTW- you missed the point of my statement about never being asked about car ownership. It was to demonstrate that car owners and car free people are treated the same, since they have no way of knowing otherwise.
Are you referring to Rent-a Wreck type rental car operation run out of a storefront or garage far from any airport?

I'd be surprised if any of the rental car companies at a NYC airport (or any other airport based operation) rent a car with only a relatively small cash deposit and no credit/debit card.

BTW, I got the point, which was to repost the exact same statement about never being asked about car ownership when renting a car that I previously posted in this thread. If you believe your reposting of this fact demonstrated anything more than my statement, fine; re-repost it again and maybe you will "demonstrate" something else.
Old 01-24-16, 04:32 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

This is a small town of about 30K, so the other places do not exist here. For rentals it is the airport or the auto dealerships. That is it.
Yes ... that can be a difficulty when you're trying to be car free (or light) in a smaller town or more remote area.

Where we lived north of Melbourne, we had to take a bus to a town about 70 km away which had the closest car rental location.
Old 01-24-16, 04:33 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Rob_E
But if you are flying in to an airport, I have found that there are often shuttle services to nearby hotels and bus service to the city center. If you wanted to shop around and try to save on rental cars, there are likely options to get around. You point out that many air travelers might find these options less than practical, and you're right. But then this is the car-free/light forum, and I think a lot of in that situation think nothing of hopping on a bus to get around.
Another factor to consider even for car free folks is a timely return to the airport, especially to catch early morning or red eye flights. Returning a rental car to an off site location that keeps regular business hours and no facility for off-hour returns, combined with the likelihood of just "hopping on a bus" at odd hours may be cause for even car free folks to rethink "nothing" about it.
Old 01-25-16, 04:16 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
When I moved to Little Rock, I rented a car for 3 days so I could find an apartment. I got the insurance. And somewhere along the way I met a small rock that flew into the windshield, cracking it.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 01-25-16, 06:06 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Artkansas
When I moved to Little Rock, I rented a car for 3 days so I could find an apartment. I got the insurance. And somewhere along the way I met a small rock that flew into the windshield, cracking it.
Yep ... that's all it takes. You can have the best intentions, and then ...
Old 01-28-16, 02:12 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I don't like to rent. Too much risk.
Risk of/from what?
Old 01-28-16, 02:32 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
You take possession of a $20,000+ property...you're responsible for it.

Even with insurance, you may have to fight struggle to get clear yourself.
What makes you think so for damage not caused by the renter's recklessness or irresponsible behavior?
Old 01-28-16, 03:42 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Risk of/from what?
Death
Old 01-28-16, 04:45 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Walter S
Death
What is your recommendation than to car free people who need/desire to travel to places for which there is no suitable/practical transportation other than a rental vehicle? Just don't go because of the alleged "Risk of Death!"
Old 01-28-16, 05:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
See If your Credit Card Company stands Behind You on that ..
Old 01-29-16, 01:20 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by fietsbob
See If your Credit Card Company stands Behind You on that ..
Could you be any more vague?
Old 01-29-16, 01:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Do your own research.

I Have a Bus That gets me to the big city with it's airport..
Old 01-29-16, 02:24 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Do your own research.

I Have a Bus That gets me to the big city with it's airport..
Sounds risky, some people DIE! when taking the bus.
Bus crashes, fatalities worse than reported - USATODAY.com
Old 01-29-16, 04:17 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What is your recommendation than to car free people who need/desire to travel to places for which there is no suitable/practical transportation other than a rental vehicle? Just don't go because of the alleged "Risk of Death!"
Not necessarily. But if you drive a car once in a few years like me, you will have a little concern and might think twice, being out of practice with safe driving.
Old 02-03-16, 07:43 AM
SchwinnSuburban

Bikes: Schwinn Suburban, Schwinn Varsity w/ monkey hanger handle bars, Raleigh SC30 (converted to E-bike), Miyata 312, Trek 730...

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ditched my car this past Summer, switched my insurance policy with my insurance company to what they call "pedestrian insurance" at $15.00 a month. I'm covered if I borrow someone's car or rent a car. Also, I get medical coverage if in an accident while in a car, on public transportation, etc. Probably one of the best deals on the planet. I'm sure an internet search will come up with more than one insurance company that offers something similar. Of course you will need to have a driver's license, but as anti-personal automobile as I may be, a driver's license is still a handy form of identification when needed.
Old 02-03-16, 09:04 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by SchwinnSuburban
I ditched my car this past Summer, switched my insurance policy with my insurance company to what they call "pedestrian insurance" at $15.00 a month. I'm covered if I borrow someone's car or rent a car. Also, I get medical coverage if in an accident while in a car, on public transportation, etc.
"Covered" for what? Does it include liability coverage for damage and injury to others in other vehicles, or just damage to the vehicle you are driving; or both?
Old 02-03-16, 04:02 PM
SchwinnSuburban

Bikes: Schwinn Suburban, Schwinn Varsity w/ monkey hanger handle bars, Raleigh SC30 (converted to E-bike), Miyata 312, Trek 730...

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Full coverage. Sorry about the lack of specificity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.