Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Can the human-scaled city scale up?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Can the human-scaled city scale up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-16, 06:38 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,480 Times in 1,439 Posts
We can't give all people all the things they prefer without cost. Private MV traffic is heavily subsidized by not requiring users to pay indirect costs. And yes, space at the edge of busy sectors is generally less valuable than in the middle.

Dis you know that more than a quarter of city traffic is made of people looking for parking spaces?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-09-16, 08:05 AM
Arcanum

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dr. Dew, Moose Bicycle XXL (fat bike), Yuba Mundo V3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Stop growing. By stopping new home construction...stopping big box retailer construction. Population will move to other smaller cities that have more space.
Oh yes, that's working out great in San Francisco. Densification is prevented by zoning rules and housing prices are skyrocketing, yet people still want to live there because of jobs and society and culture and all the other benefits of city living. Sure, some people end up living in other cities, but many still work in and around San Francisco, obligating ownership and use of a car.
Old 02-09-16, 09:48 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by chewybrian
It's a sort of bio-dome, self-sufficient bubble building, where people, animals and plants live together. Most people will reference it from video games. In games, it often allows you to pack your citizens very densely for maximum productivity, and sometimes even launch them into space.
Arcology was coined by Paolo Soleri in the 1960s to refer to a combination of Architecture and Ecology. Follow this link to Soleri's Arcology page. It tries to make a compact and very integrated city, a concept he worked out in his project ArcoSanti near Prescott AZ.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 02-09-16, 09:52 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
We can't give all people all the things they prefer without cost. Private MV traffic is heavily subsidized by not requiring users to pay indirect costs. And yes, space at the edge of busy sectors is generally less valuable than in the middle.

Dis you know that more than a quarter of city traffic is made of people looking for parking spaces?
The question was: Who would benefit from your scheme to make everybody always park a mile away from their home and destinations?
Old 02-09-16, 03:34 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Arcanum
Sure, some people end up living in other cities, but many still work in and around San Francisco, obligating ownership and use of a car.

Over 420,000 of them use BART, the nation's fifth-busiest heavy rail rapid transit system, and thousands more cycle and ride buses, streetcars and cable cars. I've lived in San Francisco, Berkeley and San Jose, and not once did I feel obligated to use a car.
Old 02-09-16, 03:37 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
The question was: Who would benefit from your scheme to make everybody always park a mile away from their home and destinations?
And the answer is: Cyclists, pedestrians and mass transit users.
Old 02-09-16, 06:10 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Ekdog
And the answer is: Cyclists, pedestrians and mass transit users.
Except when they wish to park their cars near their destinations.
Old 02-10-16, 09:02 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Except when they wish to park their cars near their destinations.
Sure, and some deserve to. Currently, they are too well subsidized to do this. I'm not saying it should be impossible. But the general flow should not favor the most wasteful mode.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 02-10-16, 09:32 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Sure, and some deserve to.
Do you think a tiny group of ideologues from a tiny subset of the general population who might favor implementation of such a scheme, should also be the group to make the decisions on who "deserves" or doesn't deserve to park within a mile of their home or destinations?
Old 02-10-16, 09:34 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I'm speaking of what I'd like to see. I'm not claiming to have any power.

Old 02-10-16, 09:35 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

But if the people see the real costs of what we have, they may decide it's time for a change.

Old 02-10-16, 09:47 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

But if the people see the real costs of what we have, they may decide it's time for a change.
Yes it will be quite a trick for the ideologues to convincingly lay out the plan for actual cash savings for the affected population by the implementation of a scheme to force people to park a mile away from their home and destinations that are currently accessible to them by privately owned motor vehicles.
Old 02-10-16, 09:52 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Take a look at those who have made these changes. How do they feel?

Old 02-10-16, 10:21 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Take a look at those who have made these changes. How do they feel?
Dunno of anybody who prefers to park their own vehicle a mile away, but doubt that many have seriously proposed or successfully implemented any plan to force others to join the "change."

I doubt that those who do park a privately owned car at a distance from their home because of their personal "beliefs" or more likely because of the difficulty in finding nearby affordable parking, enjoy any non-monetary "benefits" (such as more space for their wheelchairs or bicycles) from not being able to park conveniently near their home. I also suspect that such people seldom, if ever, use their non-conveniently parked car to visit an establishment that does not provide convenient parking.
Old 02-10-16, 10:24 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Sure, in general, people want what's best for them individually. That's the force against change for the common good. There is such a thing as the common good, though, as much as you appear to disagree.

Old 02-10-16, 11:12 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Sure, in general, people want what's best for them individually. That's the force against change for the common good. There is such a thing as the common good, though, as much as you appear to disagree.
That is your misinterpretation based on your concept (shared by other ideologues on LCF) that someone who disagrees with your opinion, or the viability of your proposal, doesn't understand what you have written, or in this case is skeptical about the actions proposed by you are allegedly for the "common good".
Old 02-10-16, 12:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I don't believe you misunderstand me, but I can't claim to know what you think and feel. Feel free to say what it is. Forgive me if I misinterpreted you. I wouldn't want to do that.

I'm sure Burlingon, IA has different needs than NYC. I don't know what the challenges there are. I can tell you that driving a MV here is pretty frustrating. Fewer than half the households own a car. We didn't have one when I was growing up here. Mostly, it is more of a liability than an asset.

Old 02-10-16, 12:54 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I don't believe you misunderstand me, but I can't claim to know what you think and feel. Feel free to say what it is. Forgive me if I misinterpreted you. I wouldn't want to do that.

I'm sure Burlingon, IA has different needs than NYC. I don't know what the challenges there are. I can tell you that driving a MV here is pretty frustrating. Fewer than half the households own a car. We didn't have one when I was growing up here. Mostly, it is more of a liability than an asset.
I know NYC traffic and living patterns are far different from Burlington IA, as well as being different than living in Philadelphia where I lived my first 30 years; and in fact is quite different than almost anywhere else in the U.S.

Perhaps if you specified that your envisioned parking scheme was targeted specifically to areas as dense as NYC especially Manhattan, and the few (if any) other U.S. locations with similar population density, limited space for parking, traffic patterns and readily available public transportation.

As posted, you gave no indication that your envisioned traffic modeling was limited to one, or only a few, unique location(s).
Old 02-10-16, 01:00 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

It turns out that there is an engineering professor at my workplace who might know about traffic modeling. I'm gathering up the courage to talk to him.

What are Burlington's challenges?

Old 02-10-16, 01:22 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

It turns out that there is an engineering professor at my workplace who might know about traffic modeling. I'm gathering up the courage to talk to him.

What are Burlington's challenges?
Older population with declining economic opportunities for younger people, nothing unique to smaller towns throughout the Midwest,if not the U.S. in general. Easy for anyone to get about in town door to door by cycling or driving.

Make sure to specify to the professor if your inconvenient parking scheme is NYC specific, and if it would provide any significant benefits to all or most of the residents/businesses of areas beyond the Manhattan-type density scenario (not just the relatively tiny slice of the population who are voluntarily LCF.)

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 02-10-16 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-11-16, 06:12 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
That is your misinterpretation based on your concept (shared by other ideologues on LCF) that someone who disagrees with your opinion, or the viability of your proposal, doesn't understand what you have written, or in this case is skeptical about the actions proposed by you are allegedly for the "common good".
There are objective reasons some things are better than others. Sprawl is land-waste, pure and simple. If everyone insisted on driving an RV everywhere, or a dump-truck, or flying helicopers, the waste would be obvious and it would be clear that people should switch to less wasteful and less obnoxious and hazardous vehicles because the overall effect of everyone engaging in such waste adds up to harm the environment, each other's freedom, and future quality of life for everyone. Only because we have been trained to accept common evils as inevitable do most people fail to recognize driving less as being for the common good.

Perhaps if you specified that your envisioned parking scheme was targeted specifically to areas as dense as NYC especially Manhattan, and the few (if any) other U.S. locations with similar population density, limited space for parking, traffic patterns and readily available public transportation.

As posted, you gave no indication that your envisioned traffic modeling was limited to one, or only a few, unique location(s).
No, every location will grow as a result of spillover from areas that reach sprawl-saturation. People get tired of driving in sprawl and ultimately end up moving to smaller areas where driving is easier and takes less time. Because of this spillover, smaller towns and cities grow. Unless this pattern is interrupted, spillover growth will turn every small area/town/city into a sprawling motor-congested hell sooner or later.

Growth is inevitable. For it to be sustainable, space-wasting practices like driving-dependency need room to evolve. If very few people are comfortable with switching modes, driving becomes a stagnant paradigm with an inflexible limit. Inflexible limits and growth are a dangerous mix, akin to a pressure cooker. Only if people are free to change modes can areas evolve as they grow without reaching limits, i.e. sustainably.

Last edited by tandempower; 02-11-16 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-13-16, 02:59 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I've been thinking about this. I'm inspired by the video about Groningen, Netherlands. (LINK) The explanation was that they wanted to reduce use of motor vehicles (MV), so they divided the city into quarters and made it necessary to take the "ring road" to go from one quarter to the next. This makes a trip in a MV take longer than a trip on foot, bicycle, or bus. It worked for them.

I wonder if it can be applied to big cities.

In my mind, the more dense a place is, the greater the disincentive to using MVs should be. Private MVs take up too much space around the passenger and are thereby too space-greedy. Not only that, they go fast enough to be hazards to bicycles, pedestrians, wheelchair users, etc. So allow local delivery trucks through streets in dense areas but only if their trips on those streets are short. Motor traffic should move efficiently between or around dense sectors but not through them. A private MV trip should end at a parking lot on or near a big road, and from there, the traveler should do the last mile or so on foot or bus or bicycle or something similar.

I wish I had a traffic modeling app to show what I'm envisioning.

What do you folks think?
J.H. Crawford envisions cities being built in pod-like neighborhoods that are connected to each other by fast transit. Each neighborhood is of a size (less than a mile across, perhaps) that makes for easy walks to a centrally located transit stop.

On a map, the neighborhoods look a bit like beads on a necklace, with the transit line being the string that holds the beads together:

IIRC, he is planning for a maximum door-to-door travel time of 30 minutes within a city with a population of 1 million.

BTW, he is talking about a city with NO cars whatsoever.

Carfree Cities: City Topology

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 02-13-16 at 03:11 AM.
Old 02-13-16, 03:09 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Cul-de-sacs are not all that efficient and add large amounts of traveling distance to your journey AND they are very confusing to many vehicle users, including bikes. They are trendy but grids are more practical. This is the act of a daydreamer.
Old 02-13-16, 03:16 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Cul-de-sacs are not all that efficient and add large amounts of traveling distance to your journey AND they are very confusing to many vehicle users, including bikes. They are trendy but grids are more practical. This is the act of a daydreamer.
Some regions have experimented with joining cul-de-sac neighborhoods with bike paths between them, connecting the rear parts of the cul-de-sacs. this would put the bike paths in the wasted space between the neighborhoods, far from the often busy roads that connect them for cars.

Something similar can be done with busy street/highways that have strip development--buuild bike paths in the back of the stores--convenient but far away from the busy highway in front of the stores.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 02-13-16, 04:02 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
But this still makes them fuel wasters for motor vehicles and lends a 'boutique' status to bicyclists that is not advantageous to anyone. You have to commit to multi-vehicle planning or keep things small.

Cul-de-sacs are a huge waste of valuable residential spaces. They are a huge pain for me as well and I haven't driven a car since December 26, 2006. I find them highly frustrating to navigate period.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.