Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anybody ever see bikes at Cabellas?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anybody ever see bikes at Cabellas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-24, 09:22 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 653 Times in 385 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
That's perilously close to MYOB ! Radical approach for BF

Slagging sports big box stores is particularly popular with some segments of the shooting community - until they become close to a unique source for some products
Hard to find affordable 20 ga buckshot anywhere these days, I blame Bell/Giro....
Old 04-16-24, 10:25 AM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
BPS/Cabelas does not need marketing advice from any of us, they make a lot of money by selling what sells, which is ultimatelly the goal. Johnny Morris is a very shrewd businessman.
Bikes is but a blip on their radar, but they can dabble in it with very little down side, so why not, besides bikes don't have the markups that a lot of the things they sell.
I got to Cabelas for fun with the family. It's a destination. We don't necessarily need another sleeping bag, bike, pocket knife, or canoe paddle. We don't buy ammo. We're the people that walk out with toys, hats, beef jerky, and candy.
Old 04-16-24, 10:54 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3962 Post(s)
Liked 7,359 Times in 2,965 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
I got to Cabelas for fun with the family. It's a destination. We don't necessarily need another sleeping bag, bike, pocket knife, or canoe paddle. We don't buy ammo. We're the people that walk out with toys, hats, beef jerky, and candy.
I think that makes you the ideal consumer.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-16-24, 11:13 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10999 Post(s)
Liked 7,527 Times in 4,211 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes

Some families look at a free weekend day as a chance to hike in the woods and other families drive to Cabelas and buy jerkey.
I guess it's quality time either way.
Old 04-16-24, 11:22 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,705 Times in 2,524 Posts
I stop by Cabelas occasionally, mostly because there are fast food restaurants nearby. It doesn't surprise me they are selling typically low-end bikes that most of us wouldn't have. I recall they were selling halfway decent fatbikes some time ago though, didn't Surley have a Cabelas special version? Sell it as good for hunting, and all of a sudden some people's wallets open up.
Old 04-16-24, 12:56 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18443 Post(s)
Liked 15,651 Times in 7,363 Posts
BPS/Cabelas does not need marketing advice from any of us, they make a lot of money by selling what sells, which is ultimatelly the goal.
BF is full of armchair QBs who make themselves sound like they couldn’t run a business to save their lives.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-16-24, 01:50 PM
wheelreason

Originally Posted by indyfabz
BF is full of armchair QBs who make themselves sound like they couldn’t run a business to save their lives.
Not unlike many an IBD owner...
Old 04-16-24, 02:19 PM
SirLeaflock

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Priority Classic Plus Gotham-Edition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Some of the best, most durable, longest lasting outdoor gear I own has been purchased at Cabelas. You've obviously never set foot in one as they sell many brand names and lots of high quality, high end outdoor gear. Typically very knowledgeable staff in any given department. Sure bikes are not their target market, but they see lots of customers and are often a "destination" stop for people who don't have one nearby. Actually really nice stores. The one by me has an awesome wildlife diorama, aquarium, and restaurant. they sell everything from boats to bullets, travel, taxidermy, gunsmithing, really full service outdoor company which donates to many outdoor conservation groups. Maybe they're just not for someone who only is into bikes.
my experience with Cabelas is somewhat limited, but was extensive enough to learn about how they were acquired by Bass Pro Shops in a hostile takeover. BPS then acted quickly to dismantle anything remarkable about Cabelas and is actively rebranding the stores now. Pretty disheartening. BPS certainly seem to just be a slightly upmarket Walmart selling disposable products. I’m a happy owner of a Cabelas Alaskan Guide Tent who will like never use a Bass Pro Shop for anything other than indoor stop on a vacation with the kids.
Old 04-16-24, 04:04 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 1,872 Times in 846 Posts
Not unlike many an IBD owner...
Oof. One moment I'm browsing BF, and next thing I'm in a Jay Townley session at Interbike.

(no offense to Jay - he seems to know his stuff)
Old 04-17-24, 09:03 AM
wheelreason

Originally Posted by RCMoeur
Oof. One moment I'm browsing BF, and next thing I'm in a Jay Townley session at Interbike.

(no offense to Jay - he seems to know his stuff)
I like the fact that enthusiasts open bike shops, get all sorts of goodies at liquidation sales at pennies on the dollar,
Old 04-17-24, 10:12 AM
ScottCommutes

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Some families look at a free weekend day as a chance to hike in the woods and other families drive to Cabelas and buy jerkey.
I guess it's quality time either way.
Like I said, it's a once a year thing. My kids sit on the ATVs and look at the fish tank and the wildlife dioramas and put quarters into the shooting gallery. Sometimes we hit the chocolate store and the army/navy store nearby.
Old 04-18-24, 08:51 AM
wheelreason

Johnny Morris' companies are worth $9 Billion, give or take a few million, I think he might just be doing something right in sporting goods retailing. Don't forget, the segment has seen tons of closings, bankruptcies, restructurings, and aquisitions in the last couple of decades. DSG has also seemed to figure out how to keep the registers ringing, all be it in a completely different way.
Old 04-18-24, 09:20 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1093 Post(s)
Liked 882 Times in 496 Posts
I remember driving to Cabelas when they only had one store. I think it was in Scottsbluff Nebraska. At the time, it was almost like going to Disneyland except I came home with a new bow and arrow (hard to find on sale for a lefty).

I do remember they had bikes in the mid/late 90’s. I don’t remember the brand they were a dead ringer for an entry level Cannondale. Same tube shapes, and this was the mid 90’s, so that was distinctive. I wish I could remember if they had the ultra distinct C-dale forks, pepperoni or p-bone.

None of their designs with Killer or V in the name. Just a standard frame with something like 300LX shifting.