Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Eating practices of the best endurance athletes in the world

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Eating practices of the best endurance athletes in the world

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-12, 07:39 PM
HMF
SkinnyStrong

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The truth hurts.
Old 01-03-12, 07:43 PM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Chris Horner comes to mind...
Old 01-03-12, 07:50 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I'm pretty certain Horner's dietary habits are exaggerated. He may like burgers but he probably doesn't subsist on them. Also one can find an exception to any rule. So even if he can eat prodigious amounts of junk food and ride with no ill effects, I know I certainly can't.
Old 01-03-12, 07:50 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by HMF
The truth hurts.
I'm not sure what that means or who it's directed towards.
Old 01-03-12, 08:15 PM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I'm pretty certain Horner's dietary habits are exaggerated. He may like burgers but he probably doesn't subsist on them. Also one can find an exception to any rule. So even if he can eat prodigious amounts of junk food and ride with no ill effects, I know I certainly can't.
When i was in Fl for winter training in college and put in a 30ish hour week (swimming and cross training) for a week and a half i found i had to eat stuff that was really calorie dense, or i'd lose 5 pounds in a week, have joints hurt like crazy, and get sick. I don't know how that would've worked out differently if the ramp up in volume had been more gradual, or if i'd gotten used to putting in those kind of hours, but for a week I was eating all the junk food I could find just to try to keep up.

Now I wish I could eat multiple pints of ben and jerry's every night for a week and lose weight.
Old 01-03-12, 08:18 PM
climber7

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Xenith Comp

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
interesting story. not really surprising, though. thanks for the link.

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
I think the popular 'cut carbs' idea just doesn't work for us. If you don't have those carbs, you just can't put out the power. It's a fine philosophy if you are sitting on your butt all day, but if you're trying to crank out threshold work, you have to fuel for it.
i have a friend who is a lightweight rower and is probably one of the best endurance athletes i know. he competes at the elite level and has rowed for the usa junior national and u23 teams. his diet is probably 90% bread and butter and 10% ice cream. ok, maybe i'm exaggerating a little...but not much. this guy eats a higher percentage of bread, pasta, and other carbs than anyone i've ever met. he tried eating healthy for a while - a salad or a bunch of cucumber of something instead of more carbs - and said he felt like he had no energy when he was working out. went right back to his normal diet.

YMMV...but if you do enough endurance activity, you need to fuel it with carbs. not really any way around that.
Old 01-03-12, 08:25 PM
KendallF

Bikes: Ever changing..as of 2-24-09: 2003 Giant TCR Team Once, Sampson titanium, 1992 Paramount Series 3, 2003 Cervelo P3, 70s Raleigh Record fixed gear, 70s Fuji SL-12 commuter, mid 90s Klein MTB. Plus two or three frames lurking, plus 5 wife/kids rides

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I loved the Pollan books. He's got a sense of humor, I didn't find him preachy. I'm struggling with this for the upcoming season also. I'm specifically aiming at doing Everest Challenge so it'll give me incentive to be 10-15 lbs. lighter late this year. My current diet could pretty much be described as "Paleo, then add a bunch of dessert crap".

Gotta go, brownies just out of the oven.
Old 01-03-12, 08:41 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wens
When i was in Fl for winter training in college and put in a 30ish hour week (swimming and cross training) for a week and a half i found i had to eat stuff that was really calorie dense, or i'd lose 5 pounds in a week, have joints hurt like crazy, and get sick. I don't know how that would've worked out differently if the ramp up in volume had been more gradual, or if i'd gotten used to putting in those kind of hours, but for a week I was eating all the junk food I could find just to try to keep up.

Now I wish I could eat multiple pints of ben and jerry's every night for a week and lose weight.
this.

my closest friends at uni are swimmers and I've never seen so many super skinny/fit kids eat so much junk food in my life. one of my buddies literally cannot gain weight. he intentionally eats as much as he can and stays incredibly lean and fast in the water.
Old 01-03-12, 08:58 PM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
agreed. that was what I was getting at. I find the variance in athletes' diets interesting. Just as much as their training...

I just got done with some yummy cake w/two scoops of ice cream.
Old 01-03-12, 08:59 PM
rotti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone remember Michael Phelp's 10,000 calorie a day diet plan? It absolutely amazes me that pro cyclist can ride 4-6 hours a day and still have to watch what they eat.
Old 01-03-12, 09:20 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rotti
Anyone remember Michael Phelp's 10,000 calorie a day diet plan? It absolutely amazes me that pro cyclist can ride 4-6 hours a day and still have to watch what they eat.
I actually wonder what condition his arteries are in.
Old 01-03-12, 10:04 PM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
it is, yes. I find it interesting that americans ingest 61 billion dollars worth of supplements that have little to no actual scientific research behind it. Couple that with the fact that the 'traditional' american diet is one of corn syrup and processed foods, and seeing that a culture continually can turn out high end endurance athletes relying on simple natural foods, with little protein (ours is filled with steroids and hormones) and it certainly gives me inspiration to understand what I'm eating and how it impacts my racing.
Why do you hate America? The health products industry needs to pay its bills you know.

Throughout cultures there is a lot of wisdom concerning the balance of diet, exercise, and mental well being. Unfortunately there's a lot of profit to be made by selling products that may or may not be anything more than a placebo.
Old 01-03-12, 10:11 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
this.

my closest friends at uni are swimmers and I've never seen so many super skinny/fit kids eat so much junk food in my life. one of my buddies literally cannot gain weight. he intentionally eats as much as he can and stays incredibly lean and fast in the water.
I've known several national and international level swimmers. Swimmers need to put in more hours of even harder work than cyclists. Those guys are nuttier than we are and that is saying a lot.
Old 01-03-12, 10:37 PM
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure what that means or who it's directed towards.
Probably me, but it misses the point.

Here's an example of what I mean. He extolls the virtues of the French diet and the 'French Paradox' of a high fat diet, high carb diet with relatively little heart disease. What he fails to mention is that the French are increasingly finding it difficult to eat a 'French diet'. Now if the people who live in that country and with that culture are finding it a difficult thing to do, then what chance do I have of pulling it off. None. So you end up with "Cool Story, Bro".

It's been a couple years since I read the book, but I remember thinking, "I don't really disagree with this information, but there's absolutely no chance of me using any of it in a daily application to improve the diets of me and my family". The best sentence of the entire book comes right away, and it's the one that HMF quoted.
Old 01-03-12, 10:39 PM
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
I've known several national and international level swimmers. Swimmers need to put in more hours of even harder work than cyclists. Those guys are nuttier than we are and that is saying a lot.
Swimmers can actually afford to carry a little fat on their body as well. The best swimmers are not rail-thin Kenyans. They have a little fat and a lot of upper body muscle. Quite a different matter than your average pro GC guy.
Old 01-03-12, 10:42 PM
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe it's because he's not a kid anymore, but he credited his form in California last year with changing his diet and losing weight. This was important enough that he stayed in the US prior to the Tour to keep on his diet. Apparently, it was just too difficult to try and travel and keep the weight off. I've been there, and it's true. Every time you get on a plane, it's 5 pounds.
Old 01-04-12, 04:11 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by Fat Boy
Probably me, but it misses the point.

Here's an example of what I mean. He extolls the virtues of the French diet and the 'French Paradox' of a high fat diet, high carb diet with relatively little heart disease. What he fails to mention is that the French are increasingly finding it difficult to eat a 'French diet'. Now if the people who live in that country and with that culture are finding it a difficult thing to do, then what chance do I have of pulling it off. None. So you end up with "Cool Story, Bro".

It's been a couple years since I read the book, but I remember thinking, "I don't really disagree with this information, but there's absolutely no chance of me using any of it in a daily application to improve the diets of me and my family". The best sentence of the entire book comes right away, and it's the one that HMF quoted.
I was sort of the opposite. Taken as a whole his books, those by a few other authors, and a couple I'm reading now have informed how I eat and importantly where my food comes from. I'm just trying to look at what specific things I eat, and in what quantities that support the going fast thing. Healthy would be a nice thing to be as well.

Old 01-04-12, 07:09 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by KendallF
I loved the Pollan books. He's got a sense of humor, I didn't find him preachy. I'm struggling with this for the upcoming season also. I'm specifically aiming at doing Everest Challenge so it'll give me incentive to be 10-15 lbs. lighter late this year. My current diet could pretty much be described as "Paleo, then add a bunch of dessert crap".

Gotta go, brownies just out of the oven.
No burritos on the TT challenge?
Old 01-04-12, 08:20 AM
KendallF

Bikes: Ever changing..as of 2-24-09: 2003 Giant TCR Team Once, Sampson titanium, 1992 Paramount Series 3, 2003 Cervelo P3, 70s Raleigh Record fixed gear, 70s Fuji SL-12 commuter, mid 90s Klein MTB. Plus two or three frames lurking, plus 5 wife/kids rides

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kensuf
No burritos on the TT challenge?
Well, maybe. Burritos are Paleo friendly, right?
Old 01-04-12, 09:18 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Not the tortilla.
Old 01-04-12, 09:24 AM
HMF
SkinnyStrong

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
or the beans.

I couldn't get on board with Paleo.
Old 01-04-12, 10:52 AM
RUOkie
Scarlet Knight

Bikes: 2009 ORBEA Onix Rival. 2012 Felt Breed, 1999 Raleigh 500

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
I was sort of the opposite. Taken as a whole his books, those by a few other authors, and a couple I'm reading now have informed how I eat and importantly where my food comes from. I'm just trying to look at what specific things I eat, and in what quantities that support the going fast thing. Healthy would be a nice thing to be as well.
I agree with you overall. My earlier post was being a sarcastic female dog. I do think that the genetics of the Kenyans is probably the most important factor towards their success as runners. However, eating a well balanced diet, primarily of fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts and whole grains is probably the healthiest way to eat. In the summer months, I grow my own veggies. Still eat some meat, local farmer's market eggs (free range) grass fed beef etc. Since we stopped eating factory farm meat, I feel better. I don't know whether it is placebo (from paying attention), lack of hormones, or less feed corn.

But I also live in Oklahoma, where we can get locally grown stuff all through the spring/summer/autumn. We are still growing our own greens (lettuce/kale etc.). I would not know how to do this as easily if I still lived in NJ.
Old 01-04-12, 10:52 AM
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HMF
or the beans.

I couldn't get on board with Paleo.
Same here, and the 'Paleo for Athlete's' thing is just a joke. Paleo means no grains, no 'root' vegetables (potatoes & carrots), no beans, no dairy and only sugar from fruit. Even if I wanted to do it, it's just not practical. Anyway, life is just too short to live like that.

Funny enough, the Kenyans diet is about as far from Paleo as you can get.
Old 01-04-12, 11:49 AM
badhat
impressive member

Bikes: c'dale supersix, jamis trilogy, spec. tricross

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
none of the dudes around here who are big paleo evangelists are fast or thin.
Old 01-04-12, 12:21 PM
The_Cretin
Pedalphile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badhat
none of the dudes around here who are big paleo evangelists are fast or thin.
But they are the hippest and trendiest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.