Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Looking for a steel or Ti commute/tour/cross bike with disc mounts. Whats out there?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Looking for a steel or Ti commute/tour/cross bike with disc mounts. Whats out there?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-12, 05:34 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by KendallF
On the really cheap end.. how about the Origin8 CX700?

https://www.canaltire.com/shopping/p-...n-8-cross.aspx

I built one up as my touring/commuting bike, and recently took it 350 miles down Florida. Comfortable, built like a tank (and weighs enough for one), rack/fender/disk mounts. Here's a pic of mine ready to head out:

2011-11-21_09-21-33_293 by fredericksk, on Flickr
I'd cut that post, throw on a Swift, fill up the bottles, and hit the road.

Looks good, and probably doesn't weigh any more than a Cross Check.

What wheels do you have on that little charmer?
Old 01-05-12, 05:38 AM
gomango

Originally Posted by RFC
These would be my choices. BTW, rumor has it that the ti Vaya is built by Lynskey.
I'll ask and report back.

Meanwhile, I am also narrowing the list and this one is still on it.

A Rawland rSogn from the Rawland site.

650B!

I'll check on disc capability on their site.

Last edited by gomango; 01-05-12 at 05:49 AM.
Old 01-05-12, 06:44 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by 4Rings6Stars
Thanks for all the great suggestions, you guys are awesome. Looks like an 06 Propad would be sweeet. I'm looking for used since the budget is small but looks like most of these models are new. The Redline looks like a decent low price option but I'm a little worried about quality...

Ugh. I've been so indecisive about this for months. I keep talking myself into and then out of having brazeons put on the IF and getting it powder coated. Recently after talking myself out of that, I talked myself into selling or trading away my AX to fund a new bike. Is this common among us bike weirdos? I literally think about this every single day.

Agreed. I've tried two aluminum cross bike commuters and sold one and have the other around as a loaner for friends. I've had a bunch of aluminum bikes and never hated them but somehow they always got bumped out of the rotation by steel and ti bikes. I'm not saying steel or ti are better than aluminum but I seem to like them better...
There are several bikes I constantly think about selling...but there is a core I'd never consider moving. Basically if I LOVE riding it, it typically doesn't make the "what about this???" fantasies. I think if you're having these thoughts, you're looking for something you aren't getting.

Example - It's never entered into my mind that I could upgrade from, or replace, the Koga Miyata, the Marnati, the Sachs road bike or my Merlin.
Old 01-05-12, 07:09 AM
gomango

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
There are several bikes I constantly think about selling...but there is a core I'd never consider moving. Basically if I LOVE riding it, it typically doesn't make the "what about this???" fantasies. I think if you're having these thoughts, you're looking for something you aren't getting.

Example - It's never entered into my mind that I could upgrade from, or replace, the Koga Miyata, the Marnati, the Sachs road bike or my Merlin.

I sold my Merckx AX frameset 4 weeks go.

Not my cup of tea. Underwhelmed with the ride.

If you pm me, I'll tell you what I sold it for, if that's any help to you.

As for a Poprad, they are fun bikes.

I beat mine into submission and cracked the frame in two places riding it hard in the river bottoms by our house in St. Paul.

Commuted on it as well. Decent road manners with Continental 4 seasons.

Off road I used Michelin Jets, which were decent on hard pack class 5 trails, but stunk in mud.

Careful with sizing on Poprads, as I am a fairly easy to fit 57-58 cm kind of guy.

I almost bought a new Poprad before Trek gave them the heave ho.

I was sized into a 55cm.

In addition, mine had some of the worst brake shudder of any bike I ever owned.

The stock brake was an Avid, and I must say, what a piece of dookey.

Before I waved goodbye to mine I had Paul Racers on there, and still have those in a box in the basement.

Lots of front fork flex as well, but I was a lot bigger guy then than I am now.

I think a Poprad with BB7s would be pretty acceptable.

There was a nice one on the local racing board before the holidays for $900.
Old 01-05-12, 07:14 AM
gomango

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake

How about your De Rosa Primato?

That is a true rider's machine if I've ever seen one.

...and yours is pretty to boot.

That bicycle says so much to me about what a racing bike should be.

Sorry for the drift btw.
Old 01-05-12, 08:11 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I was only considering bikes I've had for over a year...but I'm POSITIVE the Primato will be on the short list. That bike is just so comfortable and easy on the legs...it's agile and quick. I can't wait to see how the Titanio compares. Given my preference for OS tubing, I think the Titanio is going to be just right.

On the Poprad post above...

I typically ride 54-56. My Poprad is a good fit at 53. Gomango is very on point...try before you buy. They ride larger than their size and the slight slant to the TT makes a bigger difference than you'd think. He's also right about the Avid Sh**ty 4s...AWFUL brakes that are a pain to adjust. I haven't had much squeal with them on my Poprad...I had them on a JTS and they shuddered like an earthquake. Placement and routing with cantis, especially short armed ones, makes a big difference with shudder, and I haven't had the problem with the Poprad. I think the fork also matters...the alpha q I have on the Poprad is a much nicer fork than what came on the JTS (easton ec70 I think?).

$900 for a Poprad with discs is a pretty solid price. The Poprads have a diehard following in cross and they typically go for a decent price. I don't have that much experience with cross bikes, but my Poprad isn't in the same category of bike as that JTS...it's MUCH quicker and more comfortable. It's actually also a lot lighter than the JTS (so much for aluminum!).
Old 01-05-12, 09:23 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks to my good buddy fender1 I recently bought a Voodoo Wazoo Reynolds 853 frame. It is light! No rear disc mount, so I'll use cantilevers in the back. But, I bought a Cane Creek threadless headset and 1" Nashbar carbon cyclocross fork with disc tab. I'll get an Avid BB7 for the front.

I'll build it up over the spring/summer as a cyclocross bike, but it has plenty of braze ons to make it a great commuter/tourer once I face plant enough, break a couple bones or otherwise fail miserably on the course. It'll get a powdercoat soon, but I'm still not sure on the color.

Old 01-05-12, 09:41 AM
Puget Pounder
Wookie Jesus inspires me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
Thanks to my good buddy fender1 I recently bought a Voodoo Wazoo Reynolds 853 frame. It is light! No rear disc mount, so I'll use cantilevers in the back. But, I bought a Cane Creek threadless headset and 1" Nashbar carbon cyclocross fork with disc tab. I'll get an Avid BB7 for the front.

I'll build it up over the spring/summer as a cyclocross bike, but it has plenty of braze ons to make it a great commuter/tourer once I face plant enough, break a couple bones or otherwise fail miserably on the course. It'll get a powdercoat soon, but I'm still not sure on the color.

Would it be worth your while to get disc tabs on the back if you are going to PC anyway?
Old 01-05-12, 09:43 AM
RFC

Bikes: many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

Nice bike, Colonel. BTW, I like the orange.
Old 01-05-12, 10:13 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Puget Pounder
Would it be worth your while to get disc tabs on the back if you are going to PC anyway?
I wouldn't think so. There's no local framebuilder to braze them and it already has cantilever posts. Cantilevers will work just fine, especially for the back.

Originally Posted by RFC
Nice bike, Colonel. BTW, I like the orange.
Thanks, I like it too and may have it coated orange. There are a couple rusty areas so it does need treatment and a full blast and coat is pretty inexpensive. I was also thinking about a metallic grey or flat black.
Old 01-06-12, 09:34 PM
KendallF

Bikes: Ever changing..as of 2-24-09: 2003 Giant TCR Team Once, Sampson titanium, 1992 Paramount Series 3, 2003 Cervelo P3, 70s Raleigh Record fixed gear, 70s Fuji SL-12 commuter, mid 90s Klein MTB. Plus two or three frames lurking, plus 5 wife/kids rides

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gomango
I'd cut that post, throw on a Swift, fill up the bottles, and hit the road.

Looks good, and probably doesn't weigh any more than a Cross Check.

What wheels do you have on that little charmer?
The frame is supposed to be 'triple butted', but they must've started with battleship tubes. Frame/fork weighed 9 lbs.. Of course, it was $200. The wheels are Weinmann rims (sold by Origin8 as "Trak Attack"). I had them built with a Shimano Alfine generator front hub and a disk rear hub. I think I might have $700 in the whole bike.

I wouldn't think so. There's no local framebuilder to braze them and it already has cantilever posts. Cantilevers will work just fine, especially for the back.
The disk mount is pretty simple, and it's about $10 from Nova. Any competent TIG welder could add it. I'm going to do them soon to a buddy's touring frame.

BTW, I have one of those Nashbar disk forks; I had it on the Origin8 above initially, then ended up wanting to add lowrider rack mounts so I switched to the original steel fork. It's a nice fork, I'm saving mine for a lighter build.
Old 01-06-12, 09:44 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
I have a cross bike (set up as a winter commuter) w/ a disc front/ canti rear. It is a nice configuration if you snag a frame & have to buy a fork.

[IMG][/IMG]

I got he frame on CL w/ a Chris King headset and a beat up cross check fork for a $125. I was going to flip it, as it is a bit small for me but then I gave the fork to someone for another build and bought a Salsa disc fork and built it up. Rides nice!
Old 01-07-12, 09:51 AM
nikkorod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is my Soma Double Cross DC. I frankly love this bike. It is so comfortable. I have a hard time reaching for anything else in my fleet of bikes. I ride a mix of trails/road and have even had it on some singletrack and it performs flawlessly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1777.jpg (61.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 01-07-12, 09:55 AM
nikkorod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you run Disc you can always run 650b and 700c. No brake adjustments. That is a cool bike. Now I need a set of 650B disc wheels.

Originally Posted by gomango
I'll ask and report back.

Meanwhile, I am also narrowing the list and this one is still on it.

A Rawland rSogn from the Rawland site.

650B!

I'll check on disc capability on their site.
Old 01-07-12, 10:02 AM
gomango

I have two buddies that race Voodoo mtbs and love them.

Yours looks great and should ride well with 853!
Old 01-07-12, 10:06 AM
gomango

Originally Posted by nikkorod
If you run Disc you can always run 650b and 700c. No brake adjustments. That is a cool bike. Now I need a set of 650B disc wheels.
Thanks for the info.

I've literally been ready to buy a Rawlands twice when other opportunities popped up.

I have to get off the fence and buy something for our gravel road series in the Midwest.

I'm just fraught with a little indecision.
Old 01-08-12, 08:28 PM
4Rings6Stars
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Found a frame! Thanks to the facilitation of our very on 3alarmer in CA I will soon be receiving a 2009 Soma Double Cross DC frameset.

Tange Prestige steel tubing so even though it is tig'd it has some C&V appeal.

Now I have to find a disc wheelset, disc brakes and a rear rack that will work with seat stay mounted rear disc brake. Other than that, I have most of the parts on hand to build it into my ideal commuter. Build will be Shimergo with Campy Record 10s shifters and most likely the 105/Ultegra drivetrain from my Raleigh Team with fenders and rear rack.

Sellers' pic.