Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Rode the East Side Greenway today 8/9/2012

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-12, 03:08 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts

Any comparison to the west side is completely ridiculous. It was the stretch south from 37th St. I rode this about 15 years ago when they first put it together, promising all kinds of improvements. I didn't see any. It is the same mishmash of paved dedicated bikeway, old paved over parks, driveways, narrow concrete paths, streets, etc... It isn't a path at all, just what little pavement exists between the FDR and the river, and it is non-existent in places. There was even construction in the same places.

Next time I'll stick to 2nd Ave.
Old 08-10-12, 07:13 PM
nigelsane

Bikes: '83 Nishiki Olympic 12, '87 Panasonic DX-5000, Formerly owned: '84 Miyata 710 Campagnolo, '84 Miyata 610, 2010 Soma Smoothie ES

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The city was hoping to have the entire Manhattan waterfront greenway completed by 2018. The first phase of the 2nd Ave subway is currently scheduled to be completed by 2016. I think that gives us a hint of when we may actually be able to have a pleasant ride by the East River.

Still, the city did complete a land swap deal late last year so the gap from 37th to 63rd may be filled in in our lifetimes. That's some good news.
Old 08-19-12, 02:40 PM
zacster

I rode it again today, this time from the Manhattan Bridge down around Battery Park and onto the West Side Greenway. To say it was slow going doesn't begin to describe how horrible it is. The West Side was packed today too, but there is at least room to ride.
Old 08-26-12, 05:37 PM
BridgeNotTunnel
TortoiseNotHare

Bikes: Giant Escape 2 Hybrid

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I live on the other side of the Triboro Bridge so the East side greenway is a decent option to get to midtown, and a MUCH safer route than going through LIC and using the Queensborough.

Tons of route info, video, pics, on my page linked in my sig. Events, organized rides, I even did a self sustained cyclotour from Astoria to Clarence Fahnestock.....
Old 08-26-12, 08:32 PM
nigelsane

Bikes: '83 Nishiki Olympic 12, '87 Panasonic DX-5000, Formerly owned: '84 Miyata 710 Campagnolo, '84 Miyata 610, 2010 Soma Smoothie ES

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Really? You'd take the Triboro with all the stairs and ramps and then the narrow East side greenway over 34th Ave, Vernon, Crescent, etc.? If you haven't taken the Queensboro in the past year or so, you may have missed the fact that the Queens side approach is very, very nice now.

I guess your problem could be with the UES though, in which case there's no way to win.
Old 08-28-12, 02:32 PM
InertAgent

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recently starting commuting from UES to Wall St. I tried different routes, and timed them a couple times. Taking 2nd Ave was almost 10 minutes longer than the East River Greenway because of all the lights, even though it is a mile shorter. I do tend to obey lights, which are numerous when you get downtown. At least the East Side Greenway isn't boring like the Hudson River Greenway.
Old 08-28-12, 02:53 PM
zacster

I go uptown on 1st for the morning commute, and the lights on 1st aren't an issue as I can usually make it between the major cross streets on a single cycle. It's the lights everywhere else, in particular in Brooklyn.

Maybe I'll give it a try going on the greenway, but I'm not optomistic. At least my office is near the end at 37th St. where you have to go onto 1st Ave anyway.

Last edited by zacster; 08-28-12 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-29-12, 12:50 AM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Bikes: Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BridgeNotTunnel
I live on the other side of the Triboro Bridge so the East side greenway is a decent option to get to midtown, and a MUCH safer route than going through LIC and using the Queensborough.

Tons of route info, video, pics, on my page linked in my sig. Events, organized rides, I even did a self sustained cyclotour from Astoria to Clarence Fahnestock.....
I live in the Village and often take the Queensboro to visit family in Astoria. I rode the TriBoro Bridge once during the NYC Century and would NEVER consider riding it alone. Not only does it have all those stairs but it just doesn't feel safe. All I can imagine is that you must be a whole lot bigger and stronger than I am.
Old 08-29-12, 03:46 PM
Cyclerock

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by InertAgent
I recently starting commuting from UES to Wall St. I tried different routes, and timed them a couple times. Taking 2nd Ave was almost 10 minutes longer than the East River Greenway because of all the lights, even though it is a mile shorter. I do tend to obey lights, which are numerous when you get downtown. At least the East Side Greenway isn't boring like the Hudson River Greenway.
I agree with you. Recently I was heading downtown on the east side and chose the greenway over the streets, due to the lack of lights. Even with the tile-like ground, the congestion, and lack of continuity, it seemed fluid enough. I didn't time the commute and compare it to a parallel route on the street, though.
Old 08-30-12, 11:36 AM
zacster

I tried it on my commute today and it did not save any time, not that I expected that. It was a nice change of pace though. I felt a lot less like a commuter and more like I was just out for a spin. The bad part is that at 35th St the path ends, whereas it used to go a few blocks further. This puts you in with the FDR exiting traffic.