Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Coyotes on South County Trail

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-12, 04:57 AM
trek330

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Saw 2 Coyotes on the SC Trail,one above Elmsford and one above Ardsley in the last 2 weeks!I've also seen a couple in Van Cortlandt park in the last 2 years.Usually around dusk.
Old 09-05-12, 05:09 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
I see them a lot where I ride. For the most part they are shy and avoid humans.
Old 09-05-12, 04:06 PM
Lightingguy

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
I see them a lot where I ride. For the most part they are shy and avoid humans.
Which is where ?.

Curious as the Eastern Coyotes have been seeing a lot of news the past few years. They are typically bolder and bigger then their western brothers, sometimes hunting in packs, which they do not do out west.

There have been studies indicating there may well be wolf blood in the eastern version (yeah, I know how silly that sounds) which accounts for some of the differences, but I know I would not want to encounter one, shy as they may well be. And before folks think "it's only a coyote", and tell me to stop being an alarmist there was a hiker killed a few years ago in Nova Scotia by a pack. That surprised a lot of naturalists.
Old 09-05-12, 06:09 PM
trek330

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lightingguy
Which is where ?.

Curious as the Eastern Coyotes have been seeing a lot of news the past few years. They are typically bolder and bigger then their western brothers, sometimes hunting in packs, which they do not do out west.

There have been studies indicating there may well be wolf blood in the eastern version (yeah, I know how silly that sounds) which accounts for some of the differences, but I know I would not want to encounter one, shy as they may well be. And before folks think "it's only a coyote", and tell me to stop being an alarmist there was a hiker killed a few years ago in Nova Scotia by a pack. That surprised a lot of naturalists.
Yes I saw that report on Television.I was so excited when I saw it I told these 2 young female joggers passing by who didn't think it was so cool.They were scared!My bad.
Old 09-05-12, 06:23 PM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Bikes: Sirrus

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not surprising that there are coyotes in Westchester or the Bronx. We've had several in Manhattan. Three or four were spotted by Columbia University, one in Central Park, and one was captured near Chambers Street. Theory was that they cross over from the Bronx when the Harlem River or Harlem River Ship Canal froze over.

Still, that's a cool one to add to your list of animals spotted while cycling
Old 09-05-12, 06:28 PM
Lightingguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coyotes are very smart critters that have exhibited great agility to co-exist with humans when the humans didn't have a clue. It's no surprise they're on the SCT as they tend to understand and use corridors, that are away from things that threaten them, such as roads with cars and people. Plus they move at night and probably find the SCT, as well as other corridors, perfect to move into area's where there's a lack other predators competing for food sources. As folks are discovering in Danbury this summer, those food sources often turn out to be outdoor cats as well as small dogs, which disappear unexpectedly.

When I lived in Santa Fe, New Mexico, we learned well that you got your cat in before nightfall. We easterners are learning that all over again. A house we rented one summer in NM was at the uphill start of an arroyo and at dusk we'd have frequent sightings of coyotes coming up the arroyo - out of sight of the neighbor's houses, until they reached our house. The arroyo was an interstate highway as far as they were concerned.

Still, if I was a parent, I'd want to be aware of coyote sightings in this area and would possibly keep the toddlers in sight if on that trail at dusk as well as being aware of walking a small dog. Coyotes have been know (in Westchester) to be very aggressive toward humans with small pets. I know that the Harlem River Rail Trail posts signs warning of rattlesnakes on the trial and I could see Westchester County doing the same for coyotes.

Last edited by Lightingguy; 09-05-12 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-05-12, 06:46 PM
trek330

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
According to the park rangers there are 2 mating pairs in Van Cortlandt Park.I find it surprising they allow it and don't trap and relocate them.The Bronx being so populated.As mentioned I spied one twice over the last 2 years in Van Cortlandt park.I have rotten luck photographing them though.First time the lense simply broke.Last time I couldn't get the camera out fast enough before it dissappeared. I was amazed at my dogs reaction.She went a little crazy barking and pulling at the leash to chase.Somehow she knew this wasn't just another dog.The thing is she's an Israeli breed I brought back from Israel.Coyote confrontation is not in her gene pool.Jackals are and she used to chase them.
Old 09-05-12, 08:15 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
I personally think it's all, pretty neat, but am dreading the day they show up on Long Island, having an outdoors cat to worry about.
Old 09-06-12, 12:01 AM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Bikes: Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trek330
According to the park rangers there are 2 mating pairs in Van Cortlandt Park.I find it surprising they allow it and don't trap and relocate them.The Bronx being so populated.As mentioned I spied one twice over the last 2 years in Van Cortlandt park.
When the City managed to capture a few in Manhattan they released them in either Van Cortlandt or Pelham Bay Park. Apparently there's some law that coyotes captured within the City have to release them within City limits. Maybe Westchester and other counties feel they already have enough.

https://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...osed-location/
Old 09-06-12, 01:23 AM
trek330

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacy
When the City managed to capture a few in Manhattan they released them in either Van Cortlandt or Pelham Bay Park. Apparently there's some law that coyotes captured within the City have to release them within City limits. Maybe Westchester and other counties feel they already have enough.

https://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...osed-location/
Interesting law!
Old 10-07-12, 04:50 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
If it gets to be a problem just head up to the North County Trail
Old 10-07-12, 08:28 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
As of October 6, there's an article on NationalGeographic.com pertaining to the invasion of coyotes and other carnivorous mammals in various cities and suburbs. Check it out at https://newswatch.nationalgeographic....res-next-door/
Old 10-07-12, 11:00 PM
E.W.G.M.B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride the van cortlandt park trail (wooded) into SCT all the time (bike to work). I saw one on 10-4-12 giving chase to a rabbit.

Last edited by E.W.G.M.B; 10-08-12 at 06:04 PM. Reason: wrong date
Old 10-08-12, 08:19 AM
Lightingguy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by E.W.G.M.B
I ride the van cortlandt park trail (wooded) into SCT all the time (bike to work). I saw one on 10-11-12 giving chase to a rabbit.
In other words, you're also a time traveler and saw a coyote this coming Thursday ?

(Grin)

SB
Old 10-08-12, 02:54 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
That's really cool! I've never seen any from the bike but I've heard them at night several times in upstate NY while camped out. I particularly remember getting out of the tent one frigid midnight, snowy woods illuminated by a near-full moon, and hearing them all around me. Another time in the same place (Delaware Co.), while deer hunting, I watched one for a loong time through my rifle scope, playing with a pine cone like a cat. I was transfixed. Eventually I wanted to see what the coyote would do if it became aware of me, so I gave a little cough. It looked my way and trotted off, but not before picking up the pine cone. Beautiful, I'll never forget it.

I think when they show up here on LI, problems can be minimized with a little common sense. Personally I would rather be butt deep in coyotes than have these damn tiger mosquitos that have proliferated here the past few years.

Joe S.
Massapequa Park, NY
Old 10-08-12, 06:04 PM
E.W.G.M.B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lightingguy
In other words, you're also a time traveler and saw a coyote this coming Thursday ?

(Grin)

SB
Yep i just got back from the future......haha.....it should be 10-4-12
Old 10-11-12, 05:07 AM
trek330

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
That's really cool! I've never seen any from the bike but I've heard them at night several times in upstate NY while camped out. I particularly remember getting out of the tent one frigid midnight, snowy woods illuminated by a near-full moon, and hearing them all around me. Another time in the same place (Delaware Co.), while deer hunting, I watched one for a loong time through my rifle scope, playing with a pine cone like a cat. I was transfixed. Eventually I wanted to see what the coyote would do if it became aware of me, so I gave a little cough. It looked my way and trotted off, but not before picking up the pine cone. Beautiful, I'll never forget it.

I think when they show up here on LI, problems can be minimized with a little common sense. Personally I would rather be butt deep in coyotes than have these damn tiger mosquitos that have proliferated here the past few years.

Joe S.
Massapequa Park, NY
Sounds like a magical moment!!
Old 10-11-12, 06:33 AM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacy
We have them here in Arkansas too. I've seen fleeting glimpses of them a few times on the trails north of here. I saw one in the road while on my motorcycle a few years back and though "What an odd looking dog", then I realized it was a Coyote. It stood it's ground as I pulled up and tooted the horn so I skirted around it, it actually chased me for a while, would of been interesting had I been on a bicycle instead of a MC.
Old 10-18-12, 05:57 PM
Mpov

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen a coyote in my back yard. It was dark out and first I thought it was some mangy dog. Then I took a second look.

Anyway the real danger on the SCT isn't coyotes. It's the lousy shape of most of the roadway, except for the new part.