Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Does anyone here ride Tubulars exclusively? Not just when racing?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Does anyone here ride Tubulars exclusively? Not just when racing?

Old 09-20-12, 09:16 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 709 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Syncmaster
This is the problem I can see with using tubulars in distance riding. If I flat and the sealant doesn't work and I need to replace the tire entirely, is there a solution to gluing on a new tire that's solid enough to keep riding normally on?
You can keep riding with a preglued tubular. I wouldn't corner hard with it. The combination of the remaining glue on the rim, the glue on the spare tire, heat from braking, and air pressure will keep the spare in place. You'd be surprised how well glued the spare is when you take it off to do a proper gluing job.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 09-20-12, 09:18 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 709 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Busta Quad
Wait until you have to pull one off a rim on the side of the road on a hot day and work the spare back on.
Tire lever helps getting the old one off.

Pre stretched helps getting the spare on. I typically use an old tire that was taken off due to wear, but still has some life left, as a spare for this reason.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 09-20-12, 09:36 AM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh

Pre stretched helps getting the spare on. I typically use an old tire that was taken off due to wear, but still has some life left, as a spare for this reason.
I'll still have my clinchers. Those would probably be the go-to for any distance riding over 60 miles.

I think the Tufo extreme sealant would be my first line of defense and in the rare case that I slash open a tire somehow I'll have a spare to get home on.

The majority of the riding I do is within 25 miles from my home so I'm thinking most cases will be manageable. And if I know I'll be riding rougher roads or very long distance I can always use the clinchers.
Old 09-20-12, 09:37 AM
Ebuzz
Old and in the way

Bikes: Pinarillo Paris - Ciocc - Viner

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can keep riding with a preglued tubular. I wouldn't corner hard with it. The combination of the remaining glue on the rim, the glue on the spare tire, heat from braking, and air pressure will keep the spare in place. You'd be surprised how well glued the spare is when you take it off to do a proper gluing job.
I agree and slightly alter my previous position. You can still go quite a distance on a spare, even without cornering so hard. I carry to small tire levels as well. Plus, since flats are very infrequent, I don't worry about road side changes too much!
Old 09-20-12, 09:53 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I don't "train" and I can't say "exclusively" because my commuter/utility bike uses clinchers, and I have a spare wheelset for my favorite bike, also clinchers, that I use on terrible roads. But my "most days" wheels are tubulars. I've used them for a lot of fantastic rides out in the middle of nowhere, where I'm 30 miles from the car and don't have cell reception - Rainier, Baker, etc.

I use sealant. I got a flat one day while I didn't have my can of cafe latex, so I rode home on it - very slowly. Flats are very rare, but also very expensive if the tire can't be sealed.

They corner better than my clinchers.
Old 09-20-12, 09:53 AM
fly:yes/land:no
abandoning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
on riding home with a spare tubular:

going 20-25mph in a straight line = no problem.

navigating a 5 mile twisting descent to get back home = no fun.
Old 09-20-12, 10:13 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
When I trained on tubulars I didn't bring a spare. I figured I'd ride the (flat) tubular home. I trust a well glued flat tire more than an iffy tire that holds air. A flat tubular doesn't roll around like a flat clincher - it basically stays where it is when going in a straight line. In turns you have to wait for the first inch or so of lateral movement (as the rim rolls to the outside until the tire's sidewall stretches to max) then you're okay. You have to turn while staying more upright. I wouldn't dive through hairpin turns but I have gone around long, fast, gradual curves on a flat tubular.

I've ridden quite hard on a flat front tubular, even chasing up to a two rider paceline on a rolling slightly downhill road (Route 124 going into Darien CT; I flatted somewhere north of the Merritt). I declined taking a pull because even though I was okay with riding the flat front tire I didn't think it fair to subject the two others to the same risks. After I bridged and refused to take a couple pulls one guy told me to pull through. I told him I would if he didn't mind riding behind a guy with a flat front tire. They declined taking the risk too. I eventually rode the flat home in Norwalk along Route 1.

Two? years ago a teammate flatted a tire just as he dove into a turn in a crit. He had just chased down a 2 rider break. He kept the bike upright even though the front tire slide sideways a bit. I figure he was going 30-32 mph.

At the same time there are a lot of riders on clinchers that have lost it when they flatted in a turn. I find it very hard to ride a flat clincher, even a rear.

Caveat - having had a flat tire on a wide carbon rim (Stinger 6) I can say that I wouldn't ride a flat on one of those. Regular carbon rim (Reynolds for example), regular aluminum rim, fine, but not the wide carbon rims that cradle your tire. You end up on the carbon.
Old 09-20-12, 10:14 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I have to post a link to my favorite flat tire clip. I love it when the announcer realizes what has happened.

Old 09-20-12, 10:47 AM
Ebuzz
Old and in the way

Bikes: Pinarillo Paris - Ciocc - Viner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I have to post a link to my favorite flat tire clip. I love it when the announcer realizes what has happened.

You can't do that with a clincher!!!
Old 09-20-12, 11:54 AM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When I trained on tubulars I didn't bring a spare. I figured I'd ride the (flat) tubular home. I trust a well glued flat tire more than an iffy tire that holds air. A flat tubular doesn't roll around like a flat clincher - it basically stays where it is when going in a straight line. In turns you have to wait for the first inch or so of lateral movement (as the rim rolls to the outside until the tire's sidewall stretches to max) then you're okay. You have to turn while staying more upright. I wouldn't dive through hairpin turns but I have gone around long, fast, gradual curves on a flat tubular.

I've ridden quite hard on a flat front tubular, even chasing up to a two rider paceline on a rolling slightly downhill road (Route 124 going into Darien CT; I flatted somewhere north of the Merritt). I declined taking a pull because even though I was okay with riding the flat front tire I didn't think it fair to subject the two others to the same risks. After I bridged and refused to take a couple pulls one guy told me to pull through. I told him I would if he didn't mind riding behind a guy with a flat front tire. They declined taking the risk too. I eventually rode the flat home in Norwalk along Route 1.

Two? years ago a teammate flatted a tire just as he dove into a turn in a crit. He had just chased down a 2 rider break. He kept the bike upright even though the front tire slide sideways a bit. I figure he was going 30-32 mph.

At the same time there are a lot of riders on clinchers that have lost it when they flatted in a turn. I find it very hard to ride a flat clincher, even a rear.

Caveat - having had a flat tire on a wide carbon rim (Stinger 6) I can say that I wouldn't ride a flat on one of those. Regular carbon rim (Reynolds for example), regular aluminum rim, fine, but not the wide carbon rims that cradle your tire. You end up on the carbon.
Awesome. Thanks for all this info, and I love that video of the finish on the flat. So cool.
Old 09-20-12, 03:18 PM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
I have ridden Tufo tires and their exteme tape for years. Very very few flats and until recently, I rode the tubulars exclusively. No complaints. I would remove all of the old Tufo tape before putting on new. If you let it dry out, just as with Conti glue, it is evil to remove.
Old 09-20-12, 03:36 PM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Any reason you stopped? And if you had to replace a tire on the road, did you apply new tape? Or ride carefully on the old stuff with a new tire?
Old 09-20-12, 03:44 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,916 Times in 1,488 Posts
I would say about 1/2 my bikes were built with tubular wheels and I ride tubulars about 50-60% of the time. I have had to turna nd head home a few times after a flat but that just means a post ride cocktail sooner. I have ridden home on flat on occasion and once even two flats.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-20-12, 07:45 PM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well this thread has been a great help. Just ordered some 50mm carbon tubulars. Thanks all.
Old 09-20-12, 08:47 PM
ruindd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Iirc, Wiggins won a sprint on the 1st stage of the Tour de Romandie on a flat tubular this year.

Last edited by ruindd; 09-21-12 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-21-12, 06:08 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I'll add, I got a flat in a crit earlier this season. It was a slow leak, and my tubular held enough air that it was almost hard to tell - I started feeling like I was sliding a little through turns but I felt fine on the straights. I had to ask a buddy behind me whether I looked like I had flatted. He said yeah.

I pulled out, did my wheel change and jumped back in.
Old 09-21-12, 01:44 PM
KendallF

Bikes: Ever changing..as of 2-24-09: 2003 Giant TCR Team Once, Sampson titanium, 1992 Paramount Series 3, 2003 Cervelo P3, 70s Raleigh Record fixed gear, 70s Fuji SL-12 commuter, mid 90s Klein MTB. Plus two or three frames lurking, plus 5 wife/kids rides

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yep.. I rode tubulars almost exclusively for a couple of years, bought some carbon 50s in a group buy here on BF, rode 'em everywhere.

I still ride them on my TT bike exclusively. I normally carry a spare tire; folded up tightly it fits in a seat bag just fine. About 3 weeks ago I hit something big on my way home from work and slashed the rear tubular beyond repair. I had taken the seat bag off for a race and forgotten to put it back on. I rode the flat tubular 18 miles home and still averaged 19 mph for the ride. The rim was fine.
Old 09-21-12, 02:58 PM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KendallF
Yep.. I rode tubulars almost exclusively for a couple of years, bought some carbon 50s in a group buy here on BF, rode 'em everywhere.

I still ride them on my TT bike exclusively. I normally carry a spare tire; folded up tightly it fits in a seat bag just fine. About 3 weeks ago I hit something big on my way home from work and slashed the rear tubular beyond repair. I had taken the seat bag off for a race and forgotten to put it back on. I rode the flat tubular 18 miles home and still averaged 19 mph for the ride. The rim was fine.
Very excited to get my wheels! Tubulars should be a fun change/challenge and I'm hoping I enjoy the benefits. Should lighten my bike up some as well.

Those of you who have used Tufo tires.... have you had any experience with the S33 Pro's? They're really inexpensive for tubulars and seem to be made for training, yet have positive reviews from what I've seen.

https://www.tufo.com/s33-pro/

Old 09-21-12, 03:07 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Are you going to glue them yourself?
Old 09-21-12, 03:38 PM
Syncmaster
GO, Mordecai!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Are you going to glue them yourself?
I will most likely try their Tufo tape. Supposed to work really well with their tires. And if I did, I'd tape them myself.

Unless someone can recommend a quick curing glue that works well? I like the idea of being able to ride the tires right after I tape them with the Tufo stuff. I'm new to all this, as you know.... I feel like I should experience real gluing at some point too.
Old 09-21-12, 03:39 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
I ride tubulars pretty much at all times when on my road bike. I put Flat Attack sealant in them, and have been happy with it. I decided to keep the Stan's for the tubeless, as the Flat Attack doesn't dry out like I've found Stan's to do.

Old 09-21-12, 04:05 PM
ursle
Rolling along

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In 73' there was a shortage of tubulars(0 available in the states for a summer), it sucked... had to get clincher rims

Today I use tufo clincher tubulars, love the roll, love the pressure (170lb's+) they last forever, really, the tread is gone, down to it seems the tube, good for another year

Haven't glued a tyre on for awhile, still keep an assortment of tooth brushes around for the glue tho.
Old 09-21-12, 04:23 PM
KendallF

Bikes: Ever changing..as of 2-24-09: 2003 Giant TCR Team Once, Sampson titanium, 1992 Paramount Series 3, 2003 Cervelo P3, 70s Raleigh Record fixed gear, 70s Fuji SL-12 commuter, mid 90s Klein MTB. Plus two or three frames lurking, plus 5 wife/kids rides

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Syncmaster
Very excited to get my wheels! Tubulars should be a fun change/challenge and I'm hoping I enjoy the benefits. Should lighten my bike up some as well.

Those of you who have used Tufo tires.... have you had any experience with the S33 Pro's? They're really inexpensive for tubulars and seem to be made for training, yet have positive reviews from what I've seen.

https://www.tufo.com/s33-pro/

The Tufo's test miserably bad in the rolling resistance tests. If you use 'em, don't race on them. It's probably worth 30 watts to swap to something good like a Vittoria Evo. Seriously. The tape also tests badly, and I don't think gluing is a big deal, so I just use glue. The Vittoria Mastik seems to test the best and holds well.
Old 09-21-12, 04:59 PM
cruiserhead

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I used the giro twix tufos in both tubular and tubular clincher extensively. The s33 is a good tire, and sidewalls are more durable.
it's a good choice
Old 09-21-12, 05:07 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I'll add, I got a flat in a crit earlier this season. It was a slow leak, and my tubular held enough air that it was almost hard to tell - I started feeling like I was sliding a little through turns but I felt fine on the straights. I had to ask a buddy behind me whether I looked like I had flatted. He said yeah.

I pulled out, did my wheel change and jumped back in.
I had the same experience. I probably did 2 laps with a softening tire, then pitted, changed wheels, and got back on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.