Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Do High Gas Prices Have You Staying Close to Home for Biking?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |
View Poll Results: Has the price of travel kept you closer to home for bicycling?
No. I still drive as much as ever to get to bicycle paths and routes that I enjoy
18.18%
Yes. I have cut down somewhat on bicycle trips that involve driving to a starting point
63.64%
Yes. I no longer drive to starting points and have chosen to always ride close to home
18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-12, 06:13 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts

This is aimed primarily at others like myself who, in the past, wouldn't think twice about packing the bikes in the car and driving an hour or two to bike in the Hudson Valley or somewhere out in Jersey.

This year, my wife and I have almost completely cut out our regular drives to the Bronx River Pathway, New Jersey's Waterfront Walkway, the Westchester County Trail, and other places simply because the price of traveling has taken a huge chunk out of our enjoyment. I've even cut out my almost-nightly drive to Cedar Creek Park for a lap or two down the Wantagh Parkway to Jones Beach.

So, by poll, have YOU changed your habits regarding the distance you are willing to drive to get to a bike path or a good region for cycling? Please take the survey, but I'd also like to read your comments below.
Old 09-29-12, 05:59 PM
FrankieV

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2007 Specialized Sequoia Elte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Absolutley not!
I drove 2 hours to do the Tour of the Hamptons last weekend.
Old 09-29-12, 07:41 PM
Papa Tom

Well, TOURS are one thing. I often drive out to eastern LI to start my overnight trips from the Orient Point Ferry, but I'm talking about driving to, say, Valhalla (Westchester) to ride the Bronx River Pathway for an hour or two.
Old 09-29-12, 09:14 PM
Stacy
Car-Free Flatlander

Bikes: Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No. I live in Manhattan where nobody owns a car.
Old 09-30-12, 07:24 AM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Toyota Yaris, 42 mpg highway.
Old 10-01-12, 07:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,488 Times in 7,316 Posts
Nope. Driving is not part of my daily lifestyle so higher gas prices don't deter me from driving to do day rides. And when I do drive, I still get 30 mpg after more than 17 years. Planning to make a 3 hr. drive to do the Black Bear Century in a few weeks.
Old 10-01-12, 07:49 AM
LiamSkymom

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale Street

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not in the Northeast, but I say ABSOLUTELY. I have stuck to the two trails closest to home because of gas prices. Much as I wanted some hill training, the cost to drive the distance is just too great.
Old 10-02-12, 09:22 AM
telkanuru

Bikes: Trek 720 (touring, 1981 (?) model); Trek 7.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Car free, so no real way to answer this poll.
Old 10-02-12, 10:14 AM
ratdog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacy
No. I live in Manhattan where nobody owns a car.
I wouldn't say nobody.... I'm in Manhattan and have to go 90-100 miles round trip every weekend to check on a secondary property. When time permits, I do stop by the South/North County Trails for a spin, so my answer to the OP would be "No" since I have to make the drive anyway.

And before anyone starts to asks why not bicycle the whole distance, I will mention that I have to be back in Manhattan by 9:00 AM complete with the week's groceries and don't relish having to hit the road the night before.
Old 10-02-12, 03:15 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I've cut way back on driving. I used to travel often to New Hampshire for hiking and skiing. Now that I also ride a bike, I had hoped to ride in N.H. With gas at $4 a gallon, a week-end trip up there would cost near $75 including some food bur not including accommodations as I'd mostly camp in a tent. I don't see that situation changing in the foreseeable future.
Old 10-02-12, 04:50 PM
Papa Tom

Being from Bristol, at least you've got the East Bay and some other good bikeways. Here on Long Island, the DOT is just finishing up an extension to a very popular north/south bike path that will likely become MY ride of choice. I suppose we really need to push for local bike lanes and paths now!
Old 10-03-12, 08:11 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by berner
With gas at $4 a gallon, a week-end trip up there would cost near $75 including some food bur not including accommodations as I'd mostly camp in a tent. I don't see that situation changing in the foreseeable future.
I am curious. Assuming the entire $75 goes to gas, at $4/gallon, that's 18.75 gallons. If the price were to drop to $3.50 overnight, it would cost you around $65.60 for gas. So at $4.00 you are only paying $9.40 more for gas for the entire trip. (It's actually less since the $75 is for gas and food.) You could take such a trip weekly and make up the difference by cutting $1.34 from your daily spending. At what prices were you taking those hiking trips?
Old 10-03-12, 01:52 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
It happens that gas prices are only a part of the cost of driving a vehicle. I have not estimated that cost in some time but did once have the exact costs for the entire year. My guess is that today it will cost $.50 and maybe as much as $.75 per mile to drive a typical car, depending on how many miles are driven annually. A 500 mile weekend drive will cost $50 to $100 per 100 miles. That is a lot of money.

It also happens that I enjoy riding my bike as much as hiking in the mountains and there are hundreds of miles of fine, quiet and very pretty country roads within a 30 minutes drive of my home. I also ride with the local bike club several times a month. There is little incentive to stray any distance from home turf.
Old 10-03-12, 02:36 PM
Papa Tom

>>>>If the price were to drop to $3.50 overnight<<<<

Interesting how $3.50 a gallon now sounds like the "good old days." I suppose what I had in mind when I posted this thread were the days when gas was still below $2/gallon and we were all still working at profitable jobs. In those days, I would drive three hours to ride a 5-mile bike path without giving it a second thought, especially if there was a good Italian ice stand along the way.
Old 10-03-12, 03:35 PM
howeeee
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I always prefer to leave from my house on my bike, gas prices dont matter.
Old 10-03-12, 04:40 PM
Papa Tom

>>>>I always prefer to leave from my house on my bike, gas prices dont matter.<<<<

I think I'm starting to feel the same way. However, for many years, I needed to get far away from home before I could relax and enjoy a ride. Otherwise, I'd start thinking about what had to be done at home and, being just a quick ride away, I'd often cut my rides short.

Now, I don't feel like I have the luxury of getting in the car and spending $15-20-25 in tolls and $30-40 in gas just to watch the leaves turn green up in the mountains.
Old 10-04-12, 09:01 AM
indyfabz

Berner: My question was directed at the issue of relativity. If $75 in gas is to much, what wasn't too much?
Old 10-04-12, 09:12 AM
ChrisM2097

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Rockhopper Disc; Trek 7.5 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of my rides are local. I have some beautiful, hilly rides, or urban, flat rides right outside my home. I have to drive/ride several miles to get to any MUP paths, though...but I haven't been doing that as often as I used to.

On of my favorite rides is from San Francisco to Tiburon. SF is about 50 miles from home, so driving there to do the ride is certainly more convenient and practical...and I usually go with a group, and they all pitch in for gas & parking.
Old 10-04-12, 10:19 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
No, it hasn't. Then again, the vast majority of my rides start and end at my house. I think I've had the bike on the car once or twice this year.... and that's because I was going somewhere to ride with my wife.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 10-11-12, 07:05 PM
E.W.G.M.B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep. I try to avoid any place i have to drive to, as the Vancortlandt/SCT is only 1.20 miles away from me and Westside highway is only 20 mins away. So why drive when i got 2 nice trails close by.
Old 10-14-12, 08:41 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Gas prices have little effect since I take bus and train everywhere. If there's a place I can't get there directly, I'll take my full size or folding to complete the trip. This way I have access to many more locations and don't have to stay close to home for biking. Using trains with my bike opened a large part of the state that used to be impossible to reach in the past without a car.

Last edited by Dahon.Steve; 10-17-12 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-15-12, 02:57 PM
Papa Tom

>>>>>Using trains with my bike opened a large part of the state that used to be impossible to reach in the past without a car.<<<<<

If only the folks at AMTRAK would get hip to this and let us take our freaking bikes on the trains, we could all have the entire continent as our bicycling playgrounds!
Old 10-16-12, 01:18 PM
40 Cent
fixed for the long haul

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Professional, 1990 Cannondale 3.0 Touring bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not owning a car, but once in a while renting one, gas is the factor I often forget when planning my bike trips. I recently rode with a friend from Brooklyn to Worcester, MA via Long Island and the Orient Point ferry. Getting home was tricky. We thought about a one-way car rental from Worcester but the gas, and the drop-off fee made it expensive. I started calling bus companies even though I didn't want to put my bike under the bus with everyone's bag -- bike box or not. Finally my Worcester friend came to the rescue and drove us back down to New London, CT, where we caught the ferry and then biked to Greenport and took the LIRR home. I guess a nice folding bike to hop on a train with would be ideal, as long as it performed well enough for 100 miles/day and still folded compactly.
Old 10-17-12, 06:27 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
>>>>>Using trains with my bike opened a large part of the state that used to be impossible to reach in the past without a car.<<<<<

If only the folks at AMTRAK would get hip to this and let us take our freaking bikes on the trains, we could all have the entire continent as our bicycling playgrounds!
I've had no problem taking my folder aboad Amtrak or Greyhound. Full size bikes are a different story but again, no problem if your bike folds. Also, there should be no shame in riding a folding bike so yet, the entire continent can be your bicycling playground.
Old 10-17-12, 07:25 PM
Papa Tom

>>>>Also, there should be no shame in riding a folding bike so yet, the entire continent can be your bicycling playground.<<<<<

I'm not ashamed to ride one. I actually own an old Tomos folder that I've used in Manhattan. After about four miles on its 16" wheels, though, I'm done!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.