Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

New Gravel bikes, Giant or Salsa?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 09-16-18, 12:10 PM
Roadrash3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

really torn on my next gravel bike, I had been waiting for the next Salsa Warbird to come out, which looks like this month. But just saw the new Giant Revolt Advanced 0. THE REVOLT 0 I am pretty certain based on previous years of salsa is about a grand cheaper, but comes with Carbon wheels. Anyone have any opinions on Giants gravel bike.
Old 09-16-18, 12:47 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadrash3
really torn on my next gravel bike, I had been waiting for the next Salsa Warbird to come out, which looks like this month. But just saw the new Giant Revolt Advanced 0. THE REVOLT 0 I am pretty certain based on previous years of salsa is about a grand cheaper, but comes with Carbon wheels. Anyone have any opinions on Giants gravel bike.
I am waiting on a ride report review on the revolt advanced.

This is totally random, but they (Giant) redid the Defy frame and came out with this Revolt carbon at the same time (very similar). the New Defy is getting Rave reviews on ride quality.

As for the Carbon wheels. Paws and 1630 gram. seems Heavy for full carbon. They are what 28mm deep? Light bicycle offers a 1400 gram 28mm deep carbon wheel that is 1mm wider internal, on DT240's (Bonus to being asymmetrical).

650x47 is still in my vision, so I really like the 70 mm BB drop of the Giant. The Giant also favors their $35 front rack that has been used on the Toughroad. What I dislike about all of that is it seems like a pain to run the front rack and fenders both.

Salsa Warbird 4 has the triple boss on the fork for anything cages/front rack.

Not to be mean, but.....

Might as well compare the Ibis Hakka MX to those 2 bikes also.

https://www.cxmagazine.com/review-ib...bike-700c-650b
Old 09-16-18, 12:53 PM
Roadrash3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
I am waiting on a ride report review on the revolt advanced.

This is totally random, but they (Giant) redid the Defy frame and came out with this Revolt carbon at the same time (very similar). the New Defy is getting Rave reviews on ride quality.

As for the Carbon wheels. Paws and 1630 gram. seems Heavy for full carbon. They are what 28mm deep? Light bicycle offers a 1400 gram 28mm deep carbon wheel that is 1mm wider internal, on DT240's (Bonus to being asymmetrical).

650x47 is still in my vision, so I really like the 70 mm BB drop of the Giant. The Giant also favors their $35 front rack that has been used on the Toughroad. What I dislike about all of that is it seems like a pain to run the front rack and fenders both.

Salsa Warbird 4 has the triple boss on the fork for anything cages/front rack.

Not to be mean, but.....

Might as well compare the Ibis Hakka MX to those 2 bikes also.

https://www.cxmagazine.com/review-ib...bike-700c-650b

thanks this is what I was looking for, I would actually be happy with Shimano 105, thinking about the revolt 3 and adding mavic all road wheels. Cause unsure on giants carbon wheels
Old 09-16-18, 01:54 PM
Metieval

I would guess that they are not bad wheels, I just think that there are better wheels.

the 105 has the Giant Conduct brake system. Good it uses normal levers.

I have no Experience with the Conduct. but if it ever became an issue I would not have any issue running TRP spyre mechanical calipers with the 105 mech levers. for all intended uses of this 'Revolt' for me personally, maybe TRP spyre mech is better.

it becomes a $ argument. $3300 for so so carbon wheels and Ultegra. Or $2000 + $800-1200 for wheels so $2,800- $3,200 with 105 and personal wheel choice.

That is my perspective, hopefully someone jumps in here with other perspectives.

As for wheels.... I don't know if I would go the UST route with Mavic. the All-road pro $1,100 are 1610 gram, and the All-road elite $800 1720g makes the heavier (my opinion) Giant 1630g wheels look better. However there is much more to wheels than just weight.

I have been looking that the Revolt 0, and then just swapping tires to a Compass 700x38 or a Gravelking slick 700x38. Now you have me rethinking.
Old 09-18-18, 08:08 AM
Metieval

well now, that I have seen the options and prices on the Warbird V4's....

the Revolt 0 Ultegra with carbon seat post, carbon bars, carbon wheels is looking really GOOD at $3,300!

even the 105 Revolt 2 at $2,000 is looking good.

Salsa $3,400 for 105 with DT Swiss c1800. are they trying to support a crack habit? $3,400 with a bikesdirect approach on seatpost saddle stem etc....

$2,500 for Tiagra w/mech brakes and i23 WTB's

If I wanted a Race bike for gravel I'd buy a SuperX

I might have given Salsa $3500 for an Ultegra with so so wheels.

I also fail to understand Salsa 105 with a 50/34 paired to a 11-32, What is the point in all those bosses. IF the bike isn't geared for using them? A 50/34 11-32 or 11-28 makes sense on the Di2. but the 105 / Tiagra builds should be at least a 11-34 with a 48/32 and way less expensive.

they even have the Tiagra listed at 24 lbs!!! 24 lbs for a carbon bike? Maybe since they collaborated with bikepacking, ridinggravel and about a half dozen other online media outlets to hype the release up, they expect the bikes to sell like hotcakes to Millennials spending inheritance or CC debt to match the national debt?

No Idea on Salsa logic.

I do know for fact that Giant is offering way more value for the $ than Salsa is. and I have owned Giant before which is Superb quality!
Old 09-19-18, 02:34 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Salsa $3,400 for 105 with DT Swiss c1800. are they trying to support a crack habit?
NEVER underestimate the depth of the Salsa faithful's wallets. It's astounding.
Old 09-19-18, 04:01 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I just made the same analysis. I ended up ordering my first ever Trek -- a Trek Checkpoint. (I never imagined that I would own a Trek.)
Old 09-19-18, 07:34 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
I was shocked to see the price on the new warbirds... I knew they'd be ripe but sheesh. Maybe the frameset would be one way to go but it'd still be over 5,000$ when all is said and done...
Old 09-20-18, 01:26 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
the New Defy is getting Rave reviews on ride quality.

That is interesting.

I have been wondering how Giant was going to counter the "suspension systems" that Trek and Specialized have with the Domane and Roubaix.
Old 09-20-18, 05:05 AM
Metieval

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
That is interesting.

I have been wondering how Giant was going to counter the "suspension systems" that Trek and Specialized have with the Domane and Roubaix.

The point that you seemed to have MISSED here. Is the comparison of the 2019 Revolt to the Salsa Warbird V4.
Old 09-20-18, 08:19 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

The point that you seemed to have MISSED here. Is the comparison of the 2019 Revolt to the Salsa Warbird V4.
No
Old 09-20-18, 08:11 PM
Roadrash3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started this thread because I was torn on the warbird or Revolt. Having owned a two year old warbird, I was really set on the warbird. But damn, I not only don't like the colors, I am not paying those prices for those specs. I love salsa, I own a cutthroat and a warbird. But WTF, I tried to talk myself out of a bike, but the 3300 revolt 0 with carbon wheels and ultegra looks like a great deal now. If salsa had the black lower end Warbird, with DT Swiss wheels and ultegra, I might have purchased it. Right now Giant and Canyon are the top of my list. Trek and specialized actually are back in my good graces, the checkpoint and diverge are even better deals.
Old 09-21-18, 12:48 PM
5teve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
I started this thread because I was torn on the warbird or Revolt. Having owned a two year old warbird, I was really set on the warbird. But damn, I not only don't like the colors, I am not paying those prices for those specs. I love salsa, I own a cutthroat and a warbird. But WTF, I tried to talk myself out of a bike, but the 3300 revolt 0 with carbon wheels and ultegra looks like a great deal now. If salsa had the black lower end Warbird, with DT Swiss wheels and ultegra, I might have purchased it. Right now Giant and Canyon are the top of my list. Trek and specialized actually are back in my good graces, the checkpoint and diverge are even better deals.
The frame only version of the new Warbird will be black and you could build it up anyway you wanted.
Old 09-21-18, 02:20 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by 5teve
The frame only version of the new Warbird will be black and you could build it up anyway you wanted.
So $2,000 for frame/fork

vs

$2,000 for Revolt w/105 ready to ride?

hmmm
Old 09-24-18, 05:36 AM
5teve

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
So $2,000 for frame/fork

vs

$2,000 for Revolt w/105 ready to ride?

hmmm
Heh, yep, you'd have to really want the black bike!
Old 09-24-18, 09:39 AM
zaxmalloy

Bikes: Specialized Fatboy (I call her Big Orange), FELT Carbon F FRD Custom Road Bike, Salsa Vaya, Giant Escape

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Giant hosted riding event here in the Twin Cities this weekend and I got a chance to ride the Revolt Advanced 0. It is one amazing bike - light, fast and planted all at the same time. Well worth seeking out a tet ride if you're interested.

For me, I'd still like to check out the 105 version. Better color, more checkbook friendly but now that I've ridden the Advance, not sure if I've spoiled it...but for now 2019 Revolts in any spec here in the US are rarer than purple cows on Mars, so no choice but to hurry up and wait....
Old 09-27-18, 04:18 PM
syncro87

Bikes: Raleigh Willard 2, Spec Sequoia Elite, State 4130 AllRoad, Catrike Expedition, Mercier Nano mini velo

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The new Revolt has my attention, very interested. The 105 version would be my thing, but sheesh, those silly Conduct brakes. They'd have been better off putting decent mech discs on there and cutting the price another fifty or hundred bucks to get it under two grand if they didn't want to bump the $ up a little to put real hydro on it. Price aside, i think a fair number of people would rather have good mechanicals than the hodgepodge proprietary Conduct system. I can't help but think that a couple years from now, we'll be scratching our heads laughing at Conduct, like why did they do that.
Old 09-27-18, 06:37 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
my first full frame suspension bike was a Giant and the second bike I ever had built up from a frame was a Salsa. I'd go with the Giant as my experience is that they're bulletproof whereas, my Salsa scandium frame split at the bottom of the headtube.
Old 09-29-18, 11:37 AM
Metieval

I am really torn on this carbon Revolt vs carbon Warbird v4....... any opinions for me?

I'd only pack (front rack and bags) 3-4 times a year. This New bike might be a replacement for both my Trek Crossrip and also my hi mod Supersix. Which might explain why I want 2 wheelsets. 700 for a 38 slick, and 650 for more offroadish adventures.

Pros for the Warbird,
1. Dyna wired fork options. (I ride heaps at night. It's fun, and not having to worry about charged lights is a good thing. charging phone while riding is also good, as is charging Garmin) Wire management is it really a plus?
2. the Short Reach might be a better sight seeing bike

cons for Warbird
1. price,
2, how do you support a rear fender with those seat stays?
3. adding to the price I'd be replacing the 700's plus be buying 650 wheels

pros for Revolt,
1 If I sell my Road bike (supersix) I am pretty sure the Revolt will Satisfy me a whole lot more unloaded then the Warbird would.
2 Price
3 stack and reach are pretty much all of my current bikes nothing changes.
4. I'd only need to buy 650 wheels.
5. Giant front fork rack is like $35 vs buying $100 Plus Tubus.

cons for Revolt
1. Less mount options? but hey if a frame bag is getting strapped on, who really cares if the top tube gets strapped also?
2. giant says yes to 650, but I have yet to see any pictures of this. If it's a selling point then show it? *confused*

both bikes have a 70mm BB drop

This thing all comes up again because the Local Bike Shop says Vaya. Well one of them does, the other guy (same store) is trying to talk me into a Topstone. yet they both ride Midnight specials.
Old 10-02-18, 10:52 PM
stanion

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Something strange about the new Warbird is its large trail: I calculate 2.74 inches with a 40mm 700C tire. But the Giant also has large trail: I calculate 2.64 inches with the same tire setup. A SuperSix (which was mentioned) has a trail of like 2.14 inches with a 25mm 700C tire.

If I understand Giant's website, it looks like some of the Revolt models include Shimano's clutched rear derailleur, which many other bikes are not yet including. The Warbird 105 doesn't offer it.

The Revolt has lower gearing: 48/32, 11-34. The Warbird 105: 50/34, 11-32.
Old 10-03-18, 08:08 AM
DanBell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
What's the deal with the Conduct brakes? Would they be easily swappable or is there something proprietary to them that would make that difficult? I like the look of the Revolt but would rather just drop in 105 calipers.
Old 10-06-18, 07:18 PM
Roadrash3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I was able to attend the Giant demo day, compared to my Warbird, I was seated much higher on this bike, was weird to get used to, but wasn't a bad thing. The ultegra brakes and gears were just awesome, giant's carbon wheels felt great. I rode a mix of gravel, grass and road. If I was riding more road, I felt this bike was more of a road oriented bike then my Warbird. But after riding it, I ordered one!!! Very impressed with Giant so far and the specs for the price were much better then the new warbirds.
Old 10-07-18, 07:33 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

So I was able to attend the Giant demo day, compared to my Warbird, I was seated much higher on this bike, was weird to get used to, but wasn't a bad thing. The ultegra brakes and gears were just awesome, giant's carbon wheels felt great. I rode a mix of gravel, grass and road. If I was riding more road, I felt this bike was more of a road oriented bike then my Warbird. But after riding it, I ordered one!!! Very impressed with Giant so far and the specs for the price were much better then the new warbirds.

So much seatpost
Old 10-08-18, 08:26 PM
Metieval

very nice! How was it in terms of damping gravel chatter in the front compared to your warbird?

Giant says yes on 650, I still want to see it with 650 though.
Old 10-08-18, 08:33 PM
Roadrash3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
very nice! How was it in terms of damping gravel chatter in the front compared to your warbird?

Giant says yes on 650, I still want to see it with 650 though.

I will have to let you know once I get it in a few weeks. I was only able to ride it on the road and through some dirt and grass, no gravel yet. It feels much more like a road bike then my warbird does if that makes any sense.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.