Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Slow Recovery....dammit

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Slow Recovery....dammit

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-19, 06:07 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Slow Recovery....dammit

Took a spill over two weeks ago, and the shoulder bruise is just taking forever to heal. How can I tell if there damage beyond the bruise? Bone bruise? I have full range of motion so nothing was broken or dislocated. Is this the norm for age 64+?
Old 04-30-19, 08:39 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I'm just 4 years behind you. I think a bike fall w shoulder injury that lingers for more than two weeks warrants a doctor visit, maybe an x-ray & if after several weeks the thing persists, an MRI. but I'm just guessing
Old 04-30-19, 09:03 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Shoulder Pain / Symptom Checker @ The Mayo Clinic

The above link might help narrow things down, a bit, based on the symptoms you're experiencing.

If you've got swelling or serious discoloration or very limited range of motion, particularly if things don't improve in a few days, I'd certainly suggest speaking with your doctor to get a better evaluation.

Shoulders can be ugly little things, with what seems to be relatively mild injuries. Complicated connections, in there, and it's appalling how a seemingly little bit of swelling or bruising or muscle damage can often turn into something much worse. (All things considered, I'd much rather have a "charlie horse" or pulled hamstring.)
Old 04-30-19, 11:32 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Took a spill over two weeks ago, and the shoulder bruise is just taking forever to heal. How can I tell if there damage beyond the bruise? Bone bruise? I have full range of motion so nothing was broken or dislocated. Is this the norm for age 64+?

Until a professional checks things out, everything is simply A GUESS !!! With aging comes longer period of time for healing and the possibility for more severe injury.
Old 04-30-19, 04:51 PM
dmanthree

Agreed

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Until a professional checks things out, everything is simply A GUESS !!! With aging comes longer period of time for healing and the possibility for more severe injury.
I got checked today at the clinic, and the doc said he didn't see any real damage other than a deep bone bruise. BUT; he said if it doesn't improve in a week to come back for a scan.

It is improving, but really slowly. Oh, well. I think I'll stay off the deck for the rest of the season.
Old 05-01-19, 04:45 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
I got checked today at the clinic, and the doc said he didn't see any real damage other than a deep bone bruise. BUT; he said if it doesn't improve in a week to come back for a scan.

It is improving, but really slowly. Oh, well. I think I'll stay off the deck for the rest of the season.
Good move. Might I suggest that you attempt to "stay off the deck" for longer than "the rest of the season" and try to make it a life long endeavor.
Old 05-01-19, 05:35 AM
dmanthree

Sigh...

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Good move. Might I suggest that you attempt to "stay off the deck" for longer than "the rest of the season" and try to make it a life long endeavor.
Yeah, just an expression...

This was my first crash since I was about 10 years old, so now that I've gotten it out of my system, I figure I'm good for another 50 years. Give or take.

Now, where was I? Oh, yeah, getting ready for this summer's PMC.
Old 05-01-19, 05:43 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I think we all need practice crashing and falling down occasionally, to stay in practice and prove we can still take a fall without getting hurt. Falls cripple a lot elderly people, and I suspect that many of these people had not fallen for a long time and were out of practice. Just look at Dick Van ****, he used to fall every week on his show, and he's still dancing in his 90's.

Edit: Unnecessary Censorship Strikes Again!
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 05-03-19, 10:48 AM
Longfellow02

Bikes: Diamondback Cross Campus (1993), Trek Domane 2.3 (2016), Cannondale Topstone 105 AL (2020)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
An orthopedic guy coupled with an x-ray will remove any doubt or questions, if it isn't better in a week or 2.

Shoulders are tricky...I've been dealing with rotator cuff sensitivity/woes since shortly after I broke my collarbone last summer.
In my case, I think I over did the P.T. after the collarbone surgery, and possibly tore or strained something.

Best of luck with it....Use the other arm for 12 ounce curls....
Old 05-03-19, 04:52 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
See a doctor and get a proper exam. The shoulder is commonly injured in bike falls and crashes. Often it's worse than we realized at first.

Almost a year ago to the day I was struck but a car while I was riding my bike. Not very fast, maybe 10 mph. Broke a bone in my shoulder, grade 4 separation, reinjured an old neck and back injury from years ago.

I'm still in physical therapy. Just had a session this morning. And will have more indefinitely.

At 61 I don't bounce anymore. And recovery takes much longer than I'd expected.

Fortunate my VA health care covered diagnostics, PT, etc, and we're hoping to avoid surgery.

But if I had skipped the ER visit to check the injuries not only would I have underestimated the damage, but I wouldn't have known I also had thyroid cancer. They pounced on that quickly and we're hoping surgery got it all.