Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike shop interview but don’t know a lot about bikes.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-19, 07:15 AM
kevinabbot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

So I am trying to get a job at my local bike shop for the summer so I can learn more about bikes. I have an interview today and I think I am going to seem stupid.

I don’t know too much about bikes right now. I know the (main) parts of a bike (derailer, drivetrains, shifters etc.), but I don’t know much about like the different models of each part and like what each model of a bike has them. Like I don’t know much about what each model of a certain bike has like I have no clue what parts are on like a F12 etc.

I am kinda scared because I applied for sales and I don’t know how much they expect me to know. I said that I didn’t know much on my application but still..

What can I do to prepare for the interview today on the cycling knowledge side of things.
Old 06-04-19, 07:19 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
You are just going to have to be honest and tell them why you want the job. "To learn about bikes." You can't fool them otherwise. Good luck.
Old 06-04-19, 07:28 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
If you know what a derailleur is, odds are you know more about bikes than 90% of the customers.

The VAST MAJORITY of people who ride bikes don't know the first thing about them. The people here in this message board who ride every day and have old bike parts in every room of their house are not representational of the average weekend rider.

So not being a full expert may not be a deal killer.

This is for the typical local shop that caters to the entry level consumer. If it's a specialty shop that caters to high end shoppers looking for $4000 bikes, then the customers will know more than you do and they likely won't hire you.

You just need to be honest about what you do know and that you are a quick learner and willing to put in the work to learn.

Keep in mind it's a sales position. You are selling yourself at the interview. If you can sell yourself to a bike shop with the flaw of not knowing bikes, you can sell a bike to a customer.
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 06-04-19, 08:24 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Big store ? pricing and stocking and sweeping cleaning and display arrangement , guiding customers ..
to the part of the store to find the things they seek,

and watching out for shoplifting, are not mechanical jobs.. more general retail ..

Bonus if you can make websites and post store specials on social media..

Old 06-04-19, 08:27 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
If it is a smallish shop, personal connection means more than a packed (or padded) resume. Show them that you are eager and willing to learn whatever you need to in order to do a good job for them because you really like cycling and really want to work there. Any smart boss would rather hire a motivated trainee than a bored pseudo-expert who probably thinks he knows how to do everything and won't want to fit into the shop's workflow.
Old 06-04-19, 08:29 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Hopefully you're a quick learner. If you are, State That. Good luck.
Old 06-04-19, 08:44 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Okay... "tongue in cheek" comment.

If they have mostly doubles, preach to customers how doubles are the way to go.
If they have mostly triples, preach to customers how triplesare the way to go.

As stated above. Be honest. A good attitude goes a long way in retail.
Old 06-04-19, 09:14 AM
audiomagnate

Location: Omaha, the most bike unfriendly city in the Midwest!

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, 89 Trek race bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
If you know what a derailleur is, odds are you know more about bikes than 90% of the customers.

The VAST MAJORITY of people who ride bikes don't know the first thing about them. The people here in this message board who ride every day and have old bike parts in every room of their house are not representational of the average weekend rider.

So not being a full expert may not be a deal killer.

This is for the typical local shop that caters to the entry level consumer. If it's a specialty shop that caters to high end shoppers looking for $4000 bikes, then the customers will know more than you do and they likely won't hire you.

You just need to be honest about what you do know and that you are a quick learner and willing to put in the work to learn.

Keep in mind it's a sales position. You are selling yourself at the interview. If you can sell yourself to a bike shop with the flaw of not knowing bikes, you can sell a bike to a customer.
Alright that's creepy. How did you know I have old bike parts in every room of the house? Anyway, to the OP, don't try to BS them. Sales is all about personality, if they think you're a good fit they'll hire you, if not there are lots of other stores.
Old 06-04-19, 09:32 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
I'd look up what brands the shop carrys and take a crash course on bike reviews on YouTube right now.
To be good at sales takes a Type A personality so be positive.

Last edited by hillyman; 06-04-19 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-04-19, 10:10 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Lots of small businesses are desperate for help these days. If your warm, upright and breathing, your probably in. They can’t afford to pay for experience, so I doubt it matters much. Biggest employment disqualifyer these days is the drug test, most small businesses can’t afford to pop for that, so not much of an issue.
Tim
Old 06-04-19, 10:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
I'd look up what brands the shop carrys and take a crash course on bike reviews on YouTube right now.
To be good at sales takes a Type A personality so be positive.
+1

He already told them on the application that he isn't very knowledgeable, so looking like he studied a bit for the interview would definitely show initiative.

Might be a good idea if you can learn enough to ask some intelligent questions about the bikes they sell--that could tell them that you really are anxious to learn, and if they get annoyed by being asked questions, you probably don't want to work there anyway.
Old 06-04-19, 11:41 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
Biggest employment disqualifyer these days is the drug test, most small businesses can’t afford to pop for that, so not much of an issue.
Tim
I can't imagine how hilariously empty the shops I have worked at would be if they drug tested. The thought of it makes me laugh.

Sadly, that intrusion into people's personal lives is somehow considered normal in some places. The thought of it makes me cry.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 06-04-19, 11:45 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
It is all about sincerity.

Once you learn to fake that, you have it made.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 06-04-19, 01:12 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Do this
Old 06-04-19, 01:25 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
I can't imagine how hilariously empty the shops I have worked at would be if they drug tested. The thought of it makes me laugh.

Sadly, that intrusion into people's personal lives is somehow considered normal in some places. The thought of it makes me cry.
I agree with the first part of your reply, However, I gladly embrace the intrusion, and that it is the required norm, relating to the place I work. So do all the passengers in the back of the plane, I’m betting.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 06-04-19, 04:55 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Having hired and fired bike shop employees, I can tell you attitude is the key. The second best sales person I had was a girl who knew absolutely nothing about bikes, but I loved having her attitude in the shop. She was able to sell swamp land to a desert dog. The best sales person I had was a kid with a photographic memory. Never forgot a name, what they bought or why they came in last time they were there. Dang nabit, he was really good.

Don't BS the interviewer, the good ones smell BS a mile away. Don't BS the sales or service staff, they know what is up. BE HUMBLE. You don't know squat compared to these guys. Always desire to learn, learn, learn, and retain it. DO EXPECT to sweep floors, take out trash, wash windows, mop up everything, hang clothing, clean the bathroom every single day. BE HUMBLE and do it without complaint.

If you don't have tough skin, don't do it as shops have personalities much like military organizations, and you will be tested to see what you are emotionally made of.