Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Keep Your Through Axle Away From Me

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Keep Your Through Axle Away From Me

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-19, 02:50 PM
Lrdchaos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
I guess riding at 25+ mph, 1 foot off someone’s wheel can be dangerous.....who would have thought.
Likes For Lrdchaos:
Old 06-07-19, 02:59 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
My bike has both thru-axles and disc brakes. I'm a rolling hazard, apparently.
And it's carbon, so when it assplodes, you'll be skewering and slicing innocents hundreds of yards away. The humanity......
Likes For Litespud:
Old 06-07-19, 03:04 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by teejaywhy
Trying to understand how a thru-axle lever differs from a conventional quick release lever in terms of the potential for injury.

(edit - haha beat me to it ^^^ )
This thru axle design in particular is a rigid ratching type and pointed for no particular reason more than any other skewer I've seen
Old 06-07-19, 10:48 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Old 06-07-19, 10:50 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Jens Voigt would have gotten up, gotten a new bike and finished the race with the wheel and fork still sticking out of his leg. And won. Just sayin'.
fify

Likes For noodle soup:
Old 06-07-19, 11:20 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I think it's an established fact that the censor is ********.

That means stupid. Sad!
Well of course the censor won't let you say that.
Old 06-08-19, 03:46 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeEckhaus
So, other than being on the other side of the bike, what is the effective difference between a through axle lever and a QR lever? How is one more inherently dangerous?
exactly. Just don't design or allow pointed ends on quick release levers. I have seen the sharp threaded end of quick release levers axle sticking out the side of the nut on the non quick release side. Nice cuts and gouges from that too!
Old 06-08-19, 08:05 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Is it Thru or Through?
It's "breaks" of course.
Old 06-08-19, 02:37 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
About 3 frames/forks that i have bought in tha last 10 years have had the option of somehow going trough axle. and not a single time have i gone that route.
i even got a carbon fork for my pro cross and i just looked at and said not gonna happen! got a surly disctrucker instead.

For a road bike i simply don't see the need for TA at all. but the industry "need to reinvent themselves" so i fully understand that they are pushing this crapola on customers.
since it makes the older stuff "obsolete" faster.

For dh/freeride/enduro mtb i get it. the qr wont hold the wheels in there. simple as that. but for road bikes, this is not the case. you dont do 30ft drops. 360 backflips.

I have never had any problems with my shimano qr's so i'm very reluctant to even change anything, since for me there is no reason for it.

My last lysnkey came mounted from the factory with some TA dropout (had to get a new one) and i researched this. and nowhwere could i find what thead and axle diameter it was!! how the f is that even possible. and then looking at crc there was no axles available at all. except some 80-100€ axles and you gotta be f-ing pooping me, I'm not paying 100€ for threaded alu tube!! I can just as well make it myself out of hardox500 or 4340 or 6al4v in 10 minutes for that money.

I'm not saying TA is S though. but for me at least i fail to see how it would in any way make my bikes better. or safer. nall my bikes are road going though. even my "mtbs".
Old 06-08-19, 02:48 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
All i can say is that before we had 100mm qr up front
130/135 out back. 135 was needed for disc.
there was 2 diffrent bb standards, ITA and BSA

Now we have 37 BB "standards", one crappier than the other.
we have 135qr, 142TA, 142TA boost, 150mm, 150 TA i guess there are more. and we have different axle diameters. 12,, 15, 20mm etc etc.
then we have 100mm qr, 110mm 20mm, 110 15mm, 110 15mm boost. etc etc etc.

is this a joke?? sure looks like it.

I however have only the regular standard for everything. 100mm qr up front, disc or not, and 130qr or road bikes with calipers and 135mm qr with discs. easy as that. how much more simple can possibly be? and that also enabled be to get hold of the biggest selection of available hubs at the best prices for any !standards"! double win!
Likes For carlos danger:
Old 06-09-19, 09:53 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
That guy is such a ***** compared to the track rider with the 2' wood splinter the length of his leg. This is also a reminder to be sure you have bar plugs in place. I met someone who took a core sample.
Old 06-09-19, 12:53 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by carlos danger
About 3 frames/forks that i have bought in tha last 10 years have had the option of somehow going trough axle. and not a single time have i gone that route.
i even got a carbon fork for my pro cross and i just looked at and said not gonna happen! got a surly disctrucker instead.

For a road bike i simply don't see the need for TA at all. but the industry "need to reinvent themselves" so i fully understand that they are pushing this crapola on customers.

For dh/freeride/enduro mtb i get it. the qr wont hold the wheels in there. simple as that. but for road bikes, this is not the case. you dont do 30ft drops. 360 backflips.

I have never had any problems with my shimano qr's so i'm very reluctant to even change anything, since for me there is no reason for it.

My last lysnkey came mounted from the factory with some TA dropout (had to get a new one) and i researched this. and nowhwere could i find what thead and axle diameter it was!! how the f is that even possible. and then looking at crc there was no axles available at all. except some 80-100€ axles and you gotta be f-ing pooping me, I'm not paying 100€ for threaded alu tube!! I can just as well make it myself out of hardox500 or 4340 or 6al4v in 10 minutes for that money.

I'm not saying TA is S though. but for me at least i fail to see how it would in any way make my bikes better. or safer. nall my bikes are road going though. even my "mtbs".
I'm with you. Wood is good.
Old 06-09-19, 02:49 PM
tashi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Need has nothing to do with it. We buy the latest and greatest because these are toys and we like them to be as awesome as possible.

QR's were holding on just fine, (aside from operator error), even with DH bikes. Through axles are just stiffer, and harder to use incorrectly. Stiffer is better when it comes to hub axles, particularly when suspension is involved.

It's not a conspiracy.

Originally Posted by carlos danger

Old 06-10-19, 08:15 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
The lever of the TA could be redesigned to not pop open during a crash.
The lever didn’t pop open, it remained in the fully closed position. The design prevents the TA lever from being folded flush against the fork.
Old 06-10-19, 08:18 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
That guy is such a ***** compared to the track rider with the 2' wood splinter the length of his leg. This is also a reminder to be sure you have bar plugs in place. I met someone who took a core sample.
The willingness of people to talk **** about people on the internet who they don’t know, even in jest, is pretty incredible sometimes.
Old 06-10-19, 08:40 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Brake levers are more dangerous than QR levers IME.